All Forums
 68k Hacks
 WoodWorking Hack
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  19:27:57
My friend Celina is going to be starting school real soon and as usual she is taking woodworking. So, I have here a whole whack of powerbook parts.

I got an AC Adapter today but it's not working, I'm unsure what is wrong with it, but if it doesn't work I need to find one that does.

The motherboards for the powerbooks are a 145, 160 and 180. I have some hard drives for them and the flopy modules, plus I have all the extra cables like the SCSI converter, Video Adapter and all, so hooking them up for a cusdtom rigg won't be that hard.

The hack will be to remove the logic units from the plastic case, and design a flat X-Serve style casing out of wood. I am unsure where the monitor will go, since I still want to integrate the original screen.

I might just let the monitor sit flat with the keyboard, right on top of the logic board area, so that you look down on it, like an information display panel.

I will have her make room for a glass plate over the screen, so that in future it can be used as such. It can sit in my room displaying information on various activities. I might run some schedule based activities on it. Since it will be connected to the internet via PhoneNET, where it can do Applescript based backups from my 840AV to it's external drive. The hacked case allows it to use external drives easier. So every so often it will go out, grab it's backups and have fun. (The Applescript based backup system I have supports up to 10 backup sets, consisting of 10 folders, and with each backup cycle, the end folder gets trashed and the rest are renamed and a new one created. Applescript is fun no?)

I will install some fans inside to make sure it's cool. The outside of the case, being wood will be easily molded, so depending on how I design it, and what parts are available to me (There are 2 external hard disk kits available, so I can take them apart and put those in or the SyQuest drive) I can have up to a CD, Hard Disk and a SyQuest drive for backups, and if I feel it deserves it, I might integrate my Router into it to make a very nice space saving design. :)

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  21:06:12
Nice…

Oh, if you need a 140-180c Power adapter, Ive got one laying around [this thing is practically new, and I only used it for a few months when I had a 165].

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
LC |||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.