All Forums
 LC / Performa
 bad, bad sectors
Author Topic  
mypojam

Malaysia
192 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2003 :  22:44:01
hey. remember the 580 i got the other day.
it started giving me trouble.

i boot from a diskette, and do a norton disk check
on it. guess what, bad sectors. man.
how do you fix that ? do you have to replace the disk ?

now all my larger stuffit archive is kindof corrupt.
and i can only unstuff small files correctly.

and guess what, my keyboard is 5ucked too.
it started jamming, and typing by itself.
the only way to fix it is to give it a wack.

how do you fix this kind of thing ?
totally replace them ?

i gave the 580 as a present for my little bro allready.

mypojam

Malaysia
192 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2003 :  22:46:04
oh yeah, what causes bad sectors ?
i remember installing this control panel
(copy doubler) to my 8.1
and i set the trash to permanently deletes data.

is that the cause ?

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2003 :  23:15:32
1. Unfortunately, I don't know what causes bad sectors. As far as i know, one of the biggest causes of bad sectors is abuse, su ch as dropping the hard disk, or the machine containing the hard disk, or dropping something really heavy on top of the hard disk. However, I have seen drives that have been very well looked after also develop bad sectors. A lot of the time, they multiply and multiply, and the only fix is to replace the drive. Thankfully, as I have said before, your 580 uses an IDE hard drive, which means it will cost mere pennies to get a small HD for it, but really, you'd be much better off doing what i'm going to do to my LC630: Get yourself a nice, big 40 gigger. They only go for about AU$100 these days, and come with a 1 year warranty. Make a small HFS partition for your system software and apps, and then make as many big HFS+ partitions as you want, put in an Apple Video System, hook up your VCR or DVD, and you have a nice movie pirating station! *

*as long as you have a full '040 and at least 48 MB of RAM. You'll also need an ethernet card, to copy it over to a G3 or G4 based Mac to compress the movie properly. Ah well, still gives you craploads of room, and it makes a great server to all your unlucky non-IDE 68ks!

2. Sometimes, keyboards just go weird. You have two choices:

a) Replace the keyboard
b) Open it up and attempt to fix it

If you choose b, grab a phillips screwdriver and undo all the screws that hold the keyboard case together. Put the keyboard back upright. Take off the top bezel, and if you have the Apple Keyboard II, be careful with the power button, as there is a spring under it, and if you're not careful, it will have sprung, and you will not know where it sprung to. Clean out all the dust and crap there. Possibly take off the keys if you need to, and see if there's anything under there that shouldn't be. Then put it all back together, and hopefully everything will be ok. However, before you do this, you may want to purchase an extra keyboard, just in case something borks up.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1

Edited by - maclover5 on 13 Aug 2003 23:19:45Go to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2003 :  13:41:24
Bad sectors can be caused by many things. A common one is to cycle power without gracefully shutting down. Modern drives supposedly have built-in protection against damage caused by this, but it can be faked out by pulling the plug on power, or cycling on-off too fast. Especially bad is cycling power when the HD is in the middle of writing to the disk.

Physical abuse is another, obvious cause. Banging, dropping, etc. are all no-nos. Even rapid motion during writes can produce bad effects -- the deflection of the head from its ideal position can result in marginal writes that are hard to read later. It's best not to do disk activity when in motion.

Bad sectors can also be produced by aging or corrosion. Drives are not hermetically sealed; they "breathe" to a certain extent. If the atmosphere is very humid or corrosive (e.g., as is salt air near the ocean), the disks will degrade over time. A little known source of trouble is operation at low pressure (high altitudes). Disk heads "fly" above the platter surface with a separation measured in fractions of a wavelength of light! That critical distance is a function of air pressure (remember, aerodynamics are involved), so if you run drives in Denver, the flying height is lower than at Death Valley. Smaller flying height means more sensitivity to dust, platter roughness, etc.

If there is any physical damage to the platter, the drive can get very bad very quickly, as particles thrown up act as boulders and sandpaper for the creation of still more defects. That cascade causes the well-known crash, accompanied by squealing sounds and a total loss of data.

If the damage isn't too bad, you may be able to fix things by reformatting, which marks bad sectors to avoid their being used for data storage. But if the defects are not stable in number, then this trick will only work temporarily.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2003 :  16:15:52
Well said, tomlee.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2003 :  22:31:56
The squeeling/grinding sound marked the end of the only 4GB SCSI drive I ever had… [It had a very short life with me]

If I open my window all the bugs will get in… That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
LC |||
||si
||ci
Quadra 660av
Quadra 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5260/100, 5400/120, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, C600 240Go to Top of Page

mypojam

Malaysia
192 Posts
Posted - 21 Aug 2003 :  04:26:53
i guess the quick cycle must've cause the bad sectors in my LC 580.
so i guess i'm gonna look for a small IDE hard disk,
and a new apple xtd keyboard.

i want to keep my lil bro happy.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  02:01:58
quote:

i guess the quick cycle must've cause the bad sectors in my LC 580.

Yeah, there is a chance that that could've done it. Not sure though.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.