All Forums
 Lounge
 Do I need a hub or a router?
Author Topic  
mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2003 :  21:44:43
It's getting that time again when I go back to school and highspeed internet. I'm thinking of hooking up my iMac and Quadra to my internet connection. I'd like the quadra to run as a file server so I could transfer files to it. Do I need a hub or a router?.

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, Mac HD 20, SE, Classic II, IIx, IIvi, PB 170, LC 475, LC 575, Quadra 650, Performa 5200, iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2003 :  21:53:10
A hub, most definately.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2003 :  22:15:55
Is there much difference between a hub and a router?. I'll have the Quadra and the iMac running in the same room but I'd like to access the quadra when I'm out of the building, like through FTP or something.

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, Mac HD 20, SE, Classic II, IIx, IIvi, PB 170, LC 475, LC 575, Quadra 650, Performa 5200, iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2003 :  22:35:38
As I would write in an exam on this very subject:

A hub is a device that connects a bunch of computers to the network. A router, however, is a device that connects two different types of networks together, for example The Internet to a small ethernet network, or a LocalTalk network to an ethernet network.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  02:32:48
get a switch does both

Well... We like to call it ÜberGather2k6/7Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  02:43:20
Good point...i forgot about those.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  03:39:14
Well, aren't most routers switches also?

heh, well I'd say never get a router/switch… Those things seem to hate me [or maybe just Commslot ethernet…] but you can't get a 5xxx to work with one of those… *ethernet card light blinking…*
yea… our stinking linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router is a piece of 80$ trash… [I get problems when i use it as a switch and dont let it near the DSL modem…]

yea, but like MacLover5 said, use A hub most definately!

If I open my window all the bugs will get in… That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
LC |||
||si
||ci
Quadra 660av
Quadra 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5260/100, 5400/120, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, C600 240Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  05:54:24
Actually, as I recall, a "hub" is a device that connects multiple computers to a network of one kind with no management capabilities of it's own.

Switches know where all packets are going to.
Routers have DHCP capability and *AS I RECALL* are what is required for sharing a broadband connection directly from a cable modem.

*UNLESS* you already have a shared connection with a router and/or internet gateway at the opening to the internet. (for example, the 100mbit ethernet at MacLover5's campus...

If you're coming directly from Cable, DSL or otherwise ethernet enabled residential internet, you'll probably want to ask your ISP though.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  05:58:16
Yeah, it depends what the conditions are when you sign up for internet. Here, I can do anything i want, i can plug in as many hubs and machines as i want, and nobody will care, as long as i'm not running a server. However, some places aren't so nice. (my old school...:rolleyes:)

Btw, Cory, its 10Mbps, not 100.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  06:07:57
You yourself said it was 10/100 ethernet for the campus... and that you got "T1 speeds" on the internet...

what is ist then?!

anyway, that's because maclover5's whole campus has a switch/router/gateway somewhere in it and that gives DHCP to all the clients on it (what a router does)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  08:02:33
10BT can handle T1 internet speeds can't it? Its T3 thats too fast for it.

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  08:31:01
Okay, hypothetical situation: you have a home network consisting of an iMac, a Power Mac 7100 and a Quadra 800.

Scenario (1): You're on the iMac, and you want to get files from your Q800, which you're using as a file server:

A hub would receive the request from the iMac and broadcast it to the 7100 and the Q800. The 7100 would ignore it, and the Q800 would serve up the requested files to both other computers. Once again, the 7100 would ignore the data 9this time coming from the Q800, not the iMac). As you can see, a hub can needlessly increase traffic on the network, which can become a real problem as network size grows.

A switch, by contrast, would receive the request from the iMac and transmit it only to the Q800, which would then of course serve up the files only to the iMac.

Scenario (2): You want to connect all three computers to your high-speed internet service (and of course keep all three computers connected to each other on your home network).

For this you use a router. The router sends and receives information (packets) to and from the internet (or, more accurately, your ISP). Let's say you're on the iMac and you want to navigate to a web page. The iMac sends a request for the web page. The router receives that request, then transmits it to the internet. The response comes back to the router, which then sends the response on down the line to the iMac.

In order to do its job properly, the router has to know which computer sent the request, so it can send the reponse back to the proper computer. The router does this by assigning each computer its own IP address. The router itself has a different IP address. The router's IP address is usually assigned by your ISP. This ISP-assigned IP address is the same IP address the iMac (or the 7100, or the Q800) would have if it were connected directly to the internet, as the only internet-connected computer in your house. But now the router has that IP address instead, and the router sets up a little mini-network -- invisible to your ISP and the outside world -- so it can figure out where information is coming from, and where it needs to go. This mini-network is the same exact type of network you already had in Scenario (1). The only difference is that now every computer on the network has internet access as well.

By now it should be clear that a router is basically just a switch with one special added port, which is used to connect to the internet. That's why pretty much every Cable/DSL router sold today is advertised as a "router with built-in 4-port switch" (or 2-port in some cases). In fact, a router without a built-in switch wouldn't be good for much of anything (except serving as a firewall for one computer), until you hooked up a separate switch to it.

M

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
- "PowerMystic" Color Classic, 66MHz PPC601 card, full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, OS 8.1
- "Mystic" Color Classic, full '040, 36/700/enet, OS 8.1Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  12:44:38
all switchs i've seen are routers also.

Well... We like to call it ÜberGather2k6/7Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  16:15:40
quote:

You yourself said it was 10/100 ethernet for the campus... and that you got "T1 speeds" on the internet...

Well Windohze tells me that its a 10 Mbps link, and i do have a 10/100 board in my system, so this dorm must be on a 10Mbps hub. Other parts in the uni, such as the classrooms, for example are on 100Mbps hubs. But even so, on a 10Mbps hub, it sure is fdisking fast!!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  17:55:00
A standard 10BaseT connection (Which is what for example older Macs use) can handle up to 600KB/S, because I have used internal transfers between my Machines using just 10BaseT and I get that speed.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  18:05:30
I know. It really is a bit faster than you'd expect.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  18:43:18
ya, so routers are designed to do just that. route. you program them to do what you want, switches just forward packets to the computers that are supposed to get them based on mac addresses in the packet headers, and hubs are dumb as hell, they just forward everything to every port and then the computer that's supposed to recieve it will get it, but hubs just congest the network...

oh ya... i meant to say get a 10/100 switch too.... they're only around 30US or so...

Edited by - foetoid on 15 Aug 2003 18:19:51Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2003 :  01:43:36
lol, well said foetoid.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2003 :  19:45:29
Oh, one more thing, not all routers do DHCP, Most consumer routers prolly do, I've never used one, the only routers I've ever used are Cisco 2500 series routers, and they do NOT do DHCP, you have to have a seperate computer that dishes out the IP addys via DHCP. Some of the higher end or low end consumer Cisco routers may do DHCP, but I'm not sure. Basically routers are designed to connect networks together like ML5 said. Different routing protocols are also used, (ie. RIP, IGRP (CISCO proprietary), EIGRP (CISCO proprietary), etc...) which use different variables that determine how data reaches the other network which you are trying to connect to. RIP uses hop count if I remember correctly, which means the router will find the shortest route based on how many hops (routers) are in between. RIP doesn't take into account link speed, so there could be a link with more hops but all be 100MB speeds, while another link with less hops has only 10MB links meaning that RIP will actually cause data transfer to be slower.

Oh, one more thing before I'm done. Routers use IP addresses to determine where trafic goes. (Layer 3 device) and switches and bridges use MAC addresses to get data where it needs to go (Layer 2 devices) and Hubs and repeaters just send the information along not looking at anything (Layer 1 Devices) The hubs and repeaters purpose is to re-amplify the data signal. There are Layer 3 switches which are pretty much simplified routers in a way...

ok, I'm done now...

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2003 :  20:25:52
oh yeah... 10mbit is ok, but when you have multiple 10/100 or even gigabit computers, you DO notice the difference..

of course some of the older macs I have run operating systems too high for their spec...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2003 :  20:51:50
The short of it:

1) Get a switch if you just want the Internet on one of the computers and to share files between them.

2) Get a router/switch combo if you want all of them on the Internet.

If your school lets you have mutiple IP's, you might not even need a router.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2003 :  21:31:51
If the school is just using a DHCP server all he needs is the switch... If they're only gonna let him have one IP then he'll need the router, but I wouldn't think they'd do such a thing... It'd be hard to monitor too.... So really in my opinion just a switch will work fine.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2003 :  21:42:15
oh... I was under the impression that he had his own cable modem or something...

if that's not the case, just pop on a $20 hub (or so) and set up as per instructions and stuff...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  18:00:46
They might only let him have 1 IP, though. In that case, he'd need SOME kind of router.Go to Top of Page
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  18:02:31
That would suck. My uni allows you to have as many IPs as you want, as long as they're for your own use.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  21:23:44
ya know what?

I wish that this thread was during the school year last year… we had a load of stuff to learn about all this… [TCP/IP, routers, switches the differences between them, yada yada; not like it was new info. but I think the teacher would be interested to see all this…]

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
LC |||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  23:02:22
lol... yeah, there's alot of things that we wish had come around at different times...

I've just wished that I've ever had any more "deep" technology oriented classes..

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.