Quadra / Centris
 Which is right for me?
Author Topic  
Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  20:18:11
I am looking at getting a quadra. I would like to know which model I should get. I like the 950 because of the expandablity of ram and hd's. I mainly going to use this as a server. So which model should I get?

Thanks.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Christophillis-
Privite First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  20:40:58
quote:

I am looking at getting a quadra...... I mainly going to use this as a server. So which model should I get?

Q630=IDE=gigs+gigs+gigs+gigs+gigs+gigs+gigs4little$
jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  21:30:41
quote:

I am looking at getting a quadra. I would like to know which model I should get. I like the 950 because of the expandablity of ram and hd's. I mainly going to use this as a server. So which model should I get?

If it is just as a fileserver, and will be tucked away somewhere, I agree with Trash80 - cheap cheap high capacity drives!. A 630 should run fine as a fileserver only with 32Mb ram, perhaps 64Mb if you want to run say, AppleshareIP 5 with web/printer/ftp/file services...

On the other hand if you have a load of SCSI drives laying around that you're able to put in a 950 and like the server look, 950's are just plain cool.

dana

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  01:37:10
I still say LC/Performa/Quadra 630!

I just put a 6 gig drive in mine. I never thought i'd ever put such a big drive into a 68k...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  06:06:43
So i should get a 630? I'm just going to use it in a home network. Mabey play some games too so I would like something that can do both.

Christophillis-
Privite First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  06:18:37
quote:

I still say LC/Performa/Quadra 630!

I just put a 6 gig drive in mine. I never thought i'd ever put such a big drive into a 68k...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

630=big burly son of pizzabox w/CD + crappy eyesight.

The 630 was nice of a meld of the Q/LC, feature/formfactor, had best low-end-of-high-end/high-end-of-consumer market characteristics AND worst faults. 605/475 video, IDE slave support, filled pads for the second SIMM, and fast SCSI would have made it a great sendoff for the 040 era, *sigh* but would cut deeply into early PPC sales.

I'm dyin' to get my hands on a 950 or 840AV, but with the recent increase of 6360/6500 availability, it's a good thing I've got a legacy copro vertical market app to keep me interested in the oldies/goodies/quadra/classics or there wouldn't be any practical reason for looking for one. *as if i'd need one*

son of pizza box rules!
jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  06:34:56
quote:

So i should get a 630? I'm just going to use it in a home network. Mabey play some games too so I would like something that can do both.

We musta been typin' at the same time!

Used to have family game time on the Q630, it was a lot of fun, but nothing we played needed a lot of power. I can't imagine owning enough big SCSI drives to fill a 950, one IDE drive in the 630 will end up with more capacity and negligible speed loss (if any) and it'll use the castoff when you upgrade the drive in any fairly current mac.

Go for it, keep your eye out for one of the flashier Q's anyway, but the 630 will make a better server IMHO.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  07:43:17
quote:

quote:

If it is just as a fileserver, and will be tucked away somewhere, I agree with Trash80 - cheap cheap high capacity drives!. A 630 should run fine as a fileserver only with 32Mb ram, perhaps 64Mb if you want to run say, AppleshareIP 5 with web/printer/ftp/file services...

Check out all the info you can before making a choice of server, I uncover interesting tidbits every time I look into Mac architures.
http://www.lowendmac.com/quadra/q630.shtml

The end of the X200 article raises some very interesting questions about the architecture of the 630 series upon which their design is based. I'm now wondering if there might be a noticeable difference in performance between Com Slot and PDS Slot Ethernet implementations in 630 series servers.
http://www.lowendmac.com/tech/x200.shtml

You wouldn't happen to have both 10bt card types to test in your server would you, maniac? If somebody finds out which side of the X200's 64 bit bus the the PDS is located, it would be a good start for analysis. It really should be on the DMA capable side, (but we're talkin' Apple here!) in which case installing a 10bt Com Slot card in an X200 server would be like ........ shooting .. it ....... in ...........?

curioser and curioser.....
jt

back again: There MIGHT be serious implications for browsing and web serving via the Com Slot port on 630's if.... my sneaking suspicions............ now why would a lot of RAM be necessary for a server....... bet your server's got a Com Slot 10bt card in it...... maybe a high disk cache setting..... am I correct, dana?

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 06 Feb 2002 07:55:42Go to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  14:36:02
It would be very nice to have tv in though... I want a Quadra that I can use to store files, play games and perhaps, if avalible has a TV card so I can hook up my console systems to. The 950 sounded good because of the massive amounts of hd's and ram you can put in it. The 630 sounds good because of the ide capabilities. Choices! Choices!

Christophillis-
Privite First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  07:03:19
A Quadra 900 can hold 14 half height SCSI drives. Do you have some spare? If you want tons of cheap storage, go for the IDE 650.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  07:26:06
quote:

If you want tons of cheap storage, go for the IDE 650.

IDE 650? *raises eyebrow* *lowers other one*

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Feb 2002 07:27:18Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  07:32:14
quote:

The end of the X200 article raises some very interesting questions about the architecture of the 630 series upon which their design is based. I'm now wondering if there might be a noticeable difference in performance between Com Slot and PDS Slot Ethernet implementations in 630 series servers.
http://www.lowendmac.com/tech/x200.shtml

You wouldn't happen to have both 10bt card types to test in your server would you, maniac? If somebody finds out which side of the X200's 64 bit bus the the PDS is located, it would be a good start for analysis. It really should be on the DMA capable side, (but we're talkin' Apple here!) in which case installing a 10bt Com Slot card in an X200 server would be like ........ shooting .. it ....... in ...........?

I certainly do have both kinds of cards - had them both running in linux at the one time when the commslot card arrived, also - and if I ever have adsl coming into this flat, I know which machine will be doing my routing/firewalling... For the purposes of adsl, both cards are certainly quick enough - but I'll try to do some objective tests on it with both for 10baset speeds. I think I saw a network testing tool on retromac68k, so if that can handle the job I'll have a play :D

quote:

back again: There MIGHT be serious implications for browsing and web serving via the Com Slot port on 630's if.... my sneaking suspicions............

it's VERY snappy via the commslot port, across 10bt from the imac. (commslot is what card I have in it at the moment)

quote:

now why would a lot of RAM be necessary for a server....... bet your server's got a Com Slot 10bt card in it...... maybe a high disk cache setting..... am I correct, dana?

Just the memory use that AppleshareIP takes up when it really transfers a lot of data, even on my 8100 - the caching seems to keep it moving quickly. When the 8100 had only 32Mb (ish - less than now anyhows :) it bogged down on bigger transfers, but with 56Mb it manages to keep up. An earlier Appleshare on an 040 with 32Mb, I think, would do well. I should test that too.

I use AppleshareIP btw - cos it's noticeably quicker over ethernet than connecting via normal Appletalk over IP

dana (some testing to be done soon!)

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  08:13:56
quote:

quote:

If you want tons of cheap storage, go for the IDE 650.

IDE 650? *raises eyebrow* *lowers other one*

Oops...

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  07:25:07
Oh, you could also go for the 580, which has IDE and is a cute all in one unit.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.