68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 68k Conquests
 128K for $10 - what a loot (note letter L not H)
Author Topic  
Mackie
Starting Member

Italy
8 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  10:09:42
I managed to get my hands on an original Mac 128K! And for the price of a really cheap dinner too! Geez, this Mac mus be worth more than a hundred times that much. It has some sort of rare accelarator/SCSI board in it, because mine is one of the few 128K's that can use SCSI devices and apps that need 4 MB of RAM! It also has a Kensington System Saver Mac (yum) and a third-party internal fan. The problem is, it has no keyboard and mouse, so the ones my SE and Classic use, for instance, will NOT work. However, while I agree that many 68K's can be put to good use, this 128K should be given some rest, no? If I use it, it will only die sooner. And it's not often you see a near-20 year old computer work, do you?

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  11:39:22
well... I can think of many original macs and older Apple IIs that still work... if that's what you mean...

the keyboard/mouse should be pretty cheap on eBay... maybe you could get one?

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  17:44:10
Just wondering: is it an original "Macintosh", or a 128K?
If it was the former, then you got a really good deal indeed.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  18:34:19
Nice! I got mine for AU$20 (US$10), in fully working condition and stuff, too, back in late 1999. I have used it a bit, but with the Mac's 20th birthday coming up, i think it'd be a better idea to put it into storage, where it'll be nice and safe. After all, this is the original Holden of computers! But yes, if its an ORIGINAL "Macintosh", you did get a very good deal. If you got a "Macintosh 128k", well, its still a cool find.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Mackie
Starting Member

Italy
8 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2003 :  07:31:50
Coxy, what is the diff between the original Mac and the 128K? The guy I got it from said it was an original Mac, but I call it the 128K...I thought they were the same.

Oh, and here's what's sad about it...the guy found it in a dumpster. He was not insterested in old Macs though so he sold them off. Dumpster...gawd, what stupid people there are.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2003 :  15:32:45
The *ORIGINAL* Macintosh came out on January 4th, 1984. It is the same as the "Macintosh 128k", but where it normally says "Macintosh 128k" or "Macintosh 512k", it just says "Macintosh". The "Macintosh 128k" came out in November or December...whenever it was that the 512k came out.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Mackie
Starting Member

Italy
8 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  07:27:39
I've the original Mac, then. It's in pretty good shape too - a scratch on the front and a missing battery door are its only faults. But 20 (almost ;) ) years do make their mark, no?

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  08:18:18
Yes, they do. My 128k's keyboard has a malfuntioning Apple key, and i need to do some work on the mouse yet, but other than that, my Macintosh is in tip top condition.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.