All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Help with an SCSI drive
Author Topic  
elementforlife
Starting Member

4 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  09:43:27
I bought my macintosh tv for 45 dollars at an estate sale. When I got home and booted into the install cd, the hard drive was not recognized by the install program. So i went into Apple HD SC Setup and tried to reformat the hard drive, it would not recognize the drive i wanted to reformat, the primary hard drive itself was not being recognized!!!!! So i went into Disk Utility to see if it could fix the drive, but again, it wouldn't recognize the drive at all.

So i got onto Poweron.com and ordered myself a new 1.2GB hard drive. Pulled out the Old Macintosh TV's hard drive, and stuck the connector thats on the back of it, onto my new hard drive, and slid it back into my mac. I started up the Mac TV and booted onto the cd. I went immediately into the Install System program, where it again, would not recognize my drive. So i went into HD SC Setup and IT RECOGNIZED MY DRIVE!!! so i hit reformat, and it would not let me reformat!! so i then went to test, where it automatically failed saying: Could not write to drive. Disk Utility will not recognize my new drive either.

Does anybody konw whats happening??? What can i do to fix this?? I'd love to be watching tv and playing xbox on my new Macintosh TV, but i can't!! thanks everyone in advanced for yur help!

[edited because i left taht last paragraph out]

Edited by - elementforlife on 12 Aug 2003 09:44:41

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  13:26:30
is the drive supported by macintosh? with "EPROM" ? or whatever that is... I'll assume that since you got it frompoweron, it probably is huh?

As I recall, on one of the HL servers there's some special MacTV software you might want to try that out... but I'm not sure about that...

are all the motherboard connections and connections with the hard drive in good? bad connections can cause all kinds of problems.

Have you considered an external SCSI hard drive?
it's kind of a "bodge" but if it works it's great right?
Maybe some ofthe 3rd party utilities will work?

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  16:35:17
Standard things to check: 1) Is the drive properly terminated?
2) Have you chosen a non-conflicting SCSI ID?

If the drive is not apple-branded, you won't be able to use apple's formatting tools directly. However, there are patched versions of HD SC Setup 7.3.5 that will recognize non-Apple drives.

See http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2, and follow the links to HD stuff.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.