All Forums
 Lounge
 Mac updates and cover CDs
Author Topic  
~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  04:36:27
Well, seeing as Apple has a "no updates on magazine cover CDs" policy, the UK Mac mag MacFormat (http://www.macformat.co.uk/) have started a petition to allow them (and other magazines) to carry OS updates on their CDs ... please everybody, go and sign it as they need all the help they can get ... and it will make you feel good inside

http://www.petitiononline.com/MFCDupda/petition.html

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  05:16:51
COOOL!
I used to love trying to hack the 8.5.1 updates on MacAddict and MacWorld CDs... but if I could have gotten my 10.2.x updates from a CD instead of from downloading, it would have helped SO VERY MUCH.....

I'm signing.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  06:10:57
well the more signatures they get the more likely it is to happen

sign it folks

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  08:15:11
#245 here
It is a worthy cause, it may not seem like it to those on high speed internet, or those who always have the money and patience to order the CDs from Apple, but for "The Rest of us"... Cover CDs are something that so many of us get every month, and as thus, are the perfect distribution method for updates as such.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

Edited by - cory5412 on 12 Aug 2003 08:18:20Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  15:09:18
Signed. #251 here.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  18:57:40
Once again, to protect itself in a paranoia attack, Apple is further distancing itself from the users.

Apple is dead. No soul there. Time to kick Jobs out and get a life.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  19:34:59
well I wouldnt say that completely... it's just that apple is kinda having a bit of problems...

the magazine cover CDs are not "the users" and when they did that, it didn't affect me at all, because I was running the latest version of OS9 I wanted to... and didn't have the internet...

by now I'm confident enough to leave the dialup on all night and stuff... so that works better..

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  19:49:06
quote:

Once again, to protect itself in a paranoia attack, Apple is further distancing itself from the users.

Apple is dead. No soul there. Time to kick Jobs out and get a life.

w00t! FINALLY someone else agrees with me!!!!!! *gives BoJ a High Five*

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  21:12:28
???

what'st this???

are there :gasp: apple unfaithful here????

/me faints...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  21:20:52
The Apple you worship Cory died a long time ago.

Sadly, even though no company is perfect, Apple is moving away to a more commercialized aproach to things. People seem to forget that the more personilized, unique and loveable things are, they are loyal. Apple once had loyal users who now feel cast out and left behind, and who have been in a way betrayed by Apple because it left them behind to search for the "Holy Grail" of computing at the sacrifice of others.

Apple seems little different from Microsoft in it's dealings. It seems Jobs doesn't care about the history and vintage that is Apple that he is tarnishing. The day will come when Apple's once pristine history will be a minor footnote because they wanted money and not Loyal Customers who would help them stay alive.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  21:38:33
As far as I'm concerned, Apple is still able to make said "faithful customers"...

I've used macs since I don'tk now when because they've been in schools...

Other than bad instruction, they were easy to use then, and they are easy to use now. I still find myself learning new things every day from my mac, like about unix... You might not have the same views about that particular thought, because you don't have a newer mac currently capable of running Mac OS X (IIRC)...

If I want an update, I will look on software update, and/or at apple's website and versiontracker...

If it's an issue for dialup users (I believe that for tomlevans and I, that is one of hte issues) panther will have a new software update engine that allows continuing downloads and such... (if it'll help)

I don't see how pulling OS updates from the coverdiscs makes apple "pulling away" from it's customers...

I'm sure it had to do with documenting how many people download it, or even something to do with providing better service to it's users.

As it stands, I believe the largest MacOS update is 105 MB, that's the 10.2.6 SERVER combo update, that means if you're going straight from 10.2.0, and if you're running Mac OS X SERVER... which automatically assumes that you have a broadband connection...

10.2.6 CLIENT Combo update is about 86MB... which is managable for a single night and/or a continuing download.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  21:52:30
quote:

The Apple you worship Cory died a long time ago.

Sadly, even though no company is perfect, Apple is moving away to a more commercialized aproach to things. People seem to forget that the more personilized, unique and loveable things are, they are loyal. Apple once had loyal users who now feel cast out and left behind, and who have been in a way betrayed by Apple because it left them behind to search for the "Holy Grail" of computing at the sacrifice of others.

Apple seems little different from Microsoft in it's dealings. It seems Jobs doesn't care about the history and vintage that is Apple that he is tarnishing. The day will come when Apple's once pristine history will be a minor footnote because they wanted money and not Loyal Customers who would help them stay alive.

Agreed. Btw, Cory, I am not as "Apple unfaithful" as some others, but I'm not as Apple faithful as i was a few years ago, mainly because of the fact that Jobs has now given Apple a "Screw the customers, lets think about the money" attitude. They're still not as evil as M$, but they're not as nice as they used to be. Also, even though i do agree with BoJ, i DO have a Mac that can run OS X nicely. Its not as fast as a new iMac, iBook or G5 that absolutely flies, but it does the job fast enough. Basically, Apple makes great products, but they seriously need to look at themselves and see where they've gone wrong.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  22:16:18
yes, they do have great products, but I'm really not exactly sure of what you're saying of jobs... the representatives I've dealt with during "The Battery Fiasco" were absolutely helpful, they gave me things to do that may have solved my problem without trading batteries, but when we did trade battery, it happened quickly and my TiBook was fully funcional after that, as promised.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  22:28:40
Still, i sometimes wonder if you need to have $1000000000000000 of brand new Apple products to get good service...it always seems that the people who get excellent service from Apple have brand new G4s and PowerBooks, and the people who get hopeless service from Apple always seem to have low end Macs, or don't buy new Macs very often.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  22:49:58
that is an interesting thought, but I'd have to say that if it's OS related and it's a supported machine, apple should support it...

if it's an unsupported machine and/or an outdated version of the OS... then "fuhgeddaboutit" just like every other computer maker and such...

Unlike the PC world, our community still has an AMAZING following and support giving community, even for the older machines, such as the forum yours truly posts at this very moment, the 68k Macintosh Liberation Army...

In addition, apple's online support options are always free, and always available... this includes forums and covers all newworld PowerPC macs, the beigey G3's and all software that'll run on as such... OS9, it's OS9~ish apps and all of OSX, even the rhapsody based OSX server 1.0/1.2 has a section on apple's support forums.

If apple itself cannot be exactly bothered to go out of it's way to give you the very best in telephone service for your iMac 333... I really wouldn't be surprised, any warranty on those dealies are likely to be gone by now anyway... that is to say, I don't know how long you're allowed ot extend your AppleCare for, but if you have AppleCare, you *SHOULD* be fine...(by apple anyway)

The iMac 233 is five years old, and somehow is completely supported by the latest versionf of the operating system (at time of post, that's jaguar.2.6) and it even runs well...

I would consider that to be support enough... but then again, "different strokes for different folks" as the song would have it...

also, Apple doesn't much care for supporting used/secondhand system, no company does...

In short, if Apple were to spend all of it's time supporting the things of days gone by, we would never see new innovation from them, unless that replacement ROM for the SE/FDHD they spent $100,000 on developing counts as much...

It makes sense to support and sell the "latest" stuff and "keep the eye on the ball" by working hard to develop new and exciting new technologies.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2003 :  01:13:22
Regardless of what people think about the way apple is run I signed the petition, because at the end of the day software updates on magazines is a good thing. Not only that I forward the link to xlr8yourmac. Perhaps someone would like to send it off to lowend mac as well? In fact why not send it to a few more sites, it has pitifully few signatures at the moment, it was 25 something or other.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.