All Forums
 UNIX on 68k
 Not a 68K but.....
Author Topic  
brad_k

Canada
63 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2003 :  19:07:15
I've been attempting to get Debian booting from my 6100/60 with a Sonnet Crescendo G3 (400/1MB) card installed. I of course, installed first and asked questions later. :-)

I've hunted around the net for clues about how to get this going, and I have my doubts that it'll ever work, I'm just curious if anyone else here has got this type of setup to work.

Here's what's done so far.
The 6100/60 has a working Debian Woody installation, booting using the MKLinux booter with a current 2.4.21 kernel.

I installed the G3 card installed, and did a little tweaking in order to get it to load before the MKLinux booter. I changed the type from "scri" to "INIT" and changed the name so it loads after the sonnet extension. I then created a duplicate of the MKLinux booter and changed its type to "????", as so it doesn't load as an extension. This is so the control panel can find the correct extension, as it won't find the previous renamed one. As a side thought, I should be able to just rename the sonnet extension and leave the MKLinux extension alone and have it boot in the correct order. No real difference either way.

With this setup, the sonnet extension loads first, then the MKLinux booter immediately following. When I click Linux as my choice OS, it hangs. If I take out the sonnet extension out of the equation and boot in 601 mode, Linux boots normally.

I've tried an old version of the sonnet extension, as well as the very latest off their site (July '03), both behave the same.

I suppose I could disable every other extension to eliminate potential conflicts, but that's grasping.

Anyone else try a similar setup? Perhaps there's some updated developments that I just haven't found yet. The most current info I can find is dated '01. Is there another boot loader I could try? I did have a brief go with BootX, but upon attempting to boot to Linux I got garbage on the screen.

Thanks,

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2003 :  20:18:07
As I recall, Debian Linux 3.0 (or any debian) requires a PCI powerMac..

Maybe if you try MKLINUX instead...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

brad_k

Canada
63 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  06:08:45
I'm already running Debian on it, it works fine. I'm hosting my email/mp3 server on it right now. :) Getting the G3 card to work with the boot loader is the issue.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  14:13:29
oh... ok what version of debian is it?

I didn't know that debian worked on 601's...

maybe debian's website has some information?

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

brad_k

Canada
63 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  15:16:08
Check these out for more info.

http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/

and

http://www.sonic.net/~mroeder/beowoof/installingLinux.html

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Aug 2003 :  19:24:54
"Hardware which may or may not work:
G3 upgrades"

If you can get another machine with which to run MacOS instead... and be satisfied with with a 601 in your server... :-\

Maybe linux'd work on an AWGS9150 a 120MHz 601 workhorse... (I believe)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

brad_k

Canada
63 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  12:55:22
"Hardware which may or may not work: G3 upgrades"

Yeah, I know. I was betting on "may work". :-)

I've moved the G3 card back to the 8100 and giving it a shot there. I've nothing of importance on that machine, so it makes a good tester. I'm starting to try a couple of the different boot loaders, but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

Perhaps BeOS with the G3 card would work. <semi sarcastic>

-Brad

nillon
Starting Member

Sweden
4 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  16:01:18
Actually, I think BeOS should work just fine with G3 upgrades, but I think it requires a PCI Mac...

Go to Top of Page

brad_k

Canada
63 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2003 :  12:28:25
Getting this 8100/110 has been one of the more straining "liberation" experiences I've come across so far. It's driving me crazy. :-)

My first thoughts were to somehow upgrade my 6100 with parts from the 8100. (I have more of a sentimental attachment to the 6100)

Firstly, I can pop the G3 card in the 6100 and it runs fantastic, but can't get it to run with Linux. Grrr

The 8100 has 200MB of RAM across 8 72pin SIMMS, however no combination will get me beyond 76MB in the 6100. Double Grrr

The hard disk is the same size in the 8100 as I already have in the 6100.

So I'm left with what to do with the 8100 which I can't scrounge any parts off of.

I've tried many different ways to get Linux and the G3 card to get along, I haven't exhausted all hope yet, but I'm running out of ideas.

Last night I did put Linux on it using the 601 and its running fine, the next question is whether or not I want to rebuild my 6100 on the 8100 for the sake of 50Mhz. Hah! Mind you, I love the tower configuration but it's no pizza box.

'nuff venting...

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.