Lounge
 Tales from the Classic Gaming Expo!
Author Topic  
SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  23:34:05
Howdy, folks!
Well, I know I've been quiet lately, but there's plenty of good reason...
First and foremost, I'm getting (gasp!) married! A while back, I met this wonderful girl, and things have (clearly) been going pretty well...
Anyway, today we went to the Classic Gaming Expo, which is being held this weekend here in Las Vegas. We spent most of the day hanging out and playing the many, many classic and vintage games (both home versions and real arcade versions) which were set up for free play, browsing, shopping, and just generally having a great nerdy time!
So, by the end, I'd managed to get some pretty freakin' cool stuff... like an original Atari "Touch Me" hand-held game system (think pocket-sized "Simon Says"), one of those TRS-80 comic books that Radio Shack used to give out back in the early 80's (this one features both Superman and Wonder-Woman! Wheee!). I managed to snag a mint, un-used(!) copy of "Star Trek: The Kobyashi Alternative" for the IBM PCjr... and now, the crowning glory of todays haul... (insert drum-roll here)
I traded some of my old crap for a genuine, very clean Sony "Net Yaroze" version Playstation! Wow! This thing is one of the very few "Amature Dev Kit" PSX's that Sony put out about 6 years ago. The idea was that you'd buy this special PSX, which came with some extra cables and a bunch of PC/Mac software, and you'd be able to create your own Playstation games! Cool!
Sadly, this system is bare, so all I have is the 'main deck', and none of the other stuff that it came with when new (like those cables and software), but still, it's freakin' cool!
:-)
Okay, I'm burnt out, and need to get some sleep, so I'm off... but I'll be back soon!
Best,

SpaceBoy

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Aug 2003 :  05:12:42
Very nice! Glad to hear the news, SpaceBoy.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2003 :  19:33:32
Yes! Congratulations!

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2003 :  20:12:47
wowowness!!!

that PSX sounds very uber!

I know that somewhere, there exists pippin development tools... and boy would it be fun to try to make your own game console out of something like a 6200 (GBOX as it were)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 11 Aug 2003 :  23:02:10
heh. ahh... l'amour... (kazaa, don hertzfeldt, was your meeting anything like that? (ask doofsmack... hehehehe)

PS, is it MONKTELL INSIDE CORY?! HAHAHAH!!!

THnxxnx

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  11:28:20
what is "monktell" and what has any of that have to do with a classic gaming expo?

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.