Lounge
 FANTASTIC BORKOUT.
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  22:51:02
The other day, I tried to install linux on my TiBook, so that was a fantastic borkout... you can't convert one partition to free space without totally borking the rest of the partitions... "not too bad"

alls I have to do is redo some parts of the MLAgazine, get some music downloaded again and rebuild my website...

so by now I've done most of that, except the MLAgazine bit, and OSX.2.6 has an UBER BORKOUT!
things just start freezing, it starts with iTunes, then it moves to the finder, finder infects terminal and by the time I know it, the only thing that's NOT frozen is iChat... (this includes, BTW, the force quit window)

so I've also been told that .2.6 has a memory leak thingy...
in addition, iChat AV borks out on my AIM buddy list... doesn't like to add new people or something....

I'm going to download the .2.5 update tonight and see if I can't unbork things a bit by reformatting and putting .2.5 on here....

I'll then expect some 30+ day uptimes...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

Mackie
Starting Member

Italy
8 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  07:37:10
Don't install 10.2.5 - it's worse than 10.2.6. 6 seems pretty good though for me - doesn't make everything run slow like 4. 6 makes the Ffinder bog down at times...odd.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  08:16:04
Really? 10.2.6 is pretty crashy for me. Dunno why, but sometimes, i'll be doing something, anything on my iMac, and all of a sudden it'll kernal panic. This is on 10.2.6, btw.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  13:11:58
OSX was designed to make you buy a new computer

Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  15:40:25
10.2.6 has been fine for me, only 2 kernal panics in several months now. I used to have a lot due to some dodgy RAM, after that went things have been pretty good. I think therefore in most cases it's fairly safe to assume that if you are running OS X and having lots of weird problems, it's a botched installation, wierd 3rd party drive thing, or shonky hardware.

Buy Cory attempting to repartition a drive with data on it is just asking for trouble! I'd just run a 10.2.6 combo update/repair permisions/disk repair. and hopefully everything will be fine.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  15:59:52
quote:

OSX was designed to make you buy a new computer

Well said.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Aug 2003 :  20:55:21
hmm... well yeah, .2.6 is very problematic for me, I notice that after replacing the battery, with .2.4 I'm very happy, and I was told that .2.5 is like .2.6 in capability, but not crashy... (YAY!)

Mac OS X should be reliable, weather or not it's fast...

but yeah, OSX is designed to utilise features found in newer computers, such as AltiVec, and soon, the 64 bit stuff...
In addition, smaller hard drives of older computers (while can be fixed cheap) can become restrictive and etc etc...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 17 Aug 2003 :  02:32:42
OSX maybe new and more stable but people got along fine with os 6.x or later and that series supports more hardware then what osx supports now. Newere OS and apps add alot of features that nobody uses. This feature bloat is just a reason to sell new software that causes people to buy new hardware.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.