SCSI disk woes
Author Topic  
claudius_rex
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  19:54:36
Hello, folks!
I have a LCIII that I've been meaning to upgrade for quite some time. I received a second-hand 4gb SCSI disk today, so I placed it in there, downloaded a patched HD-SC setup, and initialized it. It all seemed well. Shut it down, turned it back on and the system froze when booting. Turn it on again and now the disk is unknown to the system. I checked if NetBSD would find it, but it just freezes when probing. Has anyone had this problem before? I'm rather angry about losing a good drive (this was a very fast drive that was once part of a RAID array for video)... I had the same problem with another disk a few years back on my Centris 610, but I thought it was something I did wrong. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks a lot!

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2003 :  10:11:24
You can continually have problems with hard drives, it comes with the terrotory.

Try reformatting the drive (should format within a minute)
Is the drive terminated?
Are there any other scsi devices?
how long is the scsi chain (physical length), the longer it is the more likley you are to have problems.

I don't have many answers just experience. What I have listed may give you a few idea's where to start.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 15 Aug 2003 :  23:42:10
Shaktiman's advice is spot-on (except, maybe, reformatting a 4GB drive will take much more than a minute on an LCIII). Make sure it's terminated properly (this is the most common source of flakiness with SCSI), that all cables are secure, no pins are bent, etc. If you pull on the ribbon cable to disconnect, you can sometimes accidentally loosen the connection between the ribbon cable and its own connector pins. Inspect everything carefully; you'll likely find something amiss.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.