Lounge
 A new batch of forum questions...
Author Topic  
Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  03:02:16
Hi,

My dream of running a forum is getting closer. I have decided that I will be suing Powweb as a webhost, under their $93 a year plan. I have also decided that I will be using phpBB as the forum code. Now, a few questions:

-With phpBB would it be possible to adda companent to the users profile that would displaya regarding depending on a set of check boxes the user had clicked during sign up? I ask as since the forum is to be based on operating systems, and I want the forums to be a place where new users can ask questions about problems he/she may be having, I want in under neath the Name, rank and post count of a user, a graphic showing the logos of the OSs that forum is catering for, and the ones that the user currently runs, will be clear, while the ones the user doessnt run, faded. Thay way, the person asknig questions will know who to ask.

-I know this is a MacOS forum, but do you think that the OS/2 Warp community is really strong enough to warrant a section for themselves? The other OSs (Windows, MacOS, AmigaOS, BeOS, RiscOS, Linux) all have a real feeling of community. OS/2 really doesnt give me the same impression, but mabye I havent been looking hard enough.

-Can people really trusted to post news and information when they are given a position of authority? The plan is that the forum is to give as much news and help to the users as possible, hence each section will be given a long stickied post, giving links to prety much any site that oculd be of help to the user. What I am concerned about is, will the mods (I am planning for each OS to have a 'Almighty Mod' that is a mod of each section of teh subgroup, and then have a mod that focuses on one small section. For example, UserA is the mod of the whole MacOS section, and UserB is the mod of only the game section, therfore giving double protection from slackers) will continue to keep giving news out as they hear it.

-Would you find it accetable that general-general (non-computer related discussion) doesnt attribute towards post count?

Thanks.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...

Edited by - Fedorenko on 07 Aug 2003 03:11:14

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  08:23:40
I assume you meant "using" and not suing.

And to see what flavours are used around for chat etc., see www.computing.net they have DOS, OS/2, Mac, NT, 9x forums, you name it.

Do not have multiple Admins, just have Mods who have abilities. For example, do not allow Mods to delete topics, just Move or Lock. You can create a junk folder to have all wrong posts dumped into so no-one can see them.

Handing out Admins positions is a no-no and only allow Mods to move things and lock things.

Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  08:48:50
If you get this up and running like the way you describe, I guarentee that users will flock to it. I for one will sign up. I cant wait

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  12:11:56
i would say that the OS/2 community is probably just dormant because there's not really a central focal place for the OS/2 userbase, like a BeBits or whatever...

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  12:46:17
If you need any help with phpBB2 contact me i will help you in any way.

Well... We like to call it ÜberGather2k6/7Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  14:15:13
quote:

I assume you meant "using" and not suing.

HAR!™

But yeah, i can't wait for it either..i'll definately sign up!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  22:49:03
Stupid typing skill . For clarrification:

teh will always mean the
suing will always mean using
si or ti will always mean is or it

Problem with them is, that spelchecker doesnt pick the errors up for some reason

[EDIT] While on the topic of spelling, my forum will have one in built ]

About an OS/2 section, ive decided that there wont be one. The users seem to eb constanly bickering between eachother, and as said, they dont have any real focus.

I didnt mean about handing out Admin poisitons, just having a mod in charge of each OS, and a seperate OS for each topic (games, hardware, ssupport).

Cant wait hey....cool

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...

Edited by - Fedorenko on 08 Aug 2003 00:23:51Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.