Lounge
 Broadband around the world
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  08:04:04
Cos we're all such a bunch of nice people I feel I can ask this here without everyone laughing and pointing at me. (no pointing. laughing is ok). Here in 'stralia we seem to get some pretty dud broadband options, unless you live right in the most habited parts of major cities, where cable has been rolled out.

Where I live (a smallish city) we have various dialup options, and one provider of ADSL - telstra, costing around $110aus/month for 512kbit/sec speed, and a 3Gb cap per month. $110aus is roughly $55US when converted directly... but in real terms it's probably more than that, as I don't think our wage/salaries are double yours.

Anyhows - what are some common costs for you US types for adsl?. I have the vague feeling things are a heap more expensive here.

ta :)
dana

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  08:55:57
quote:
I have the vague feeling things are a heap more expensive here.

Considering the speed of your service is only 512kbps, it's more expensive, yes, but not that much more. Most of the people I've talked to who live on the east coast (NYC all the way down to Miami) pay US$50-$55 a month for broadband. However, here in L.A. there's a lot of competition so the price goes down. I pay US$45 a month for 1.5Mbps cable through RoadRunner and get RoadRunner IP (which gives you up to 5 IP addresses) for free, even though it normally costs an extra $5 per month. Oh, and I also get a certain number of hours per month of dial-up access for free, as well, though I never actually use it.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  09:19:07
quote:

quote:
I have the vague feeling things are a heap more expensive here.

Considering the speed of your service is only 512kbps, it's more expensive, yes, but not that much more. Most of the people I've talked to who live on the east coast (NYC all the way down to Miami) pay US$50-$55 a month for broadband.

Thats not bad pricewise and really, if I were to put an amount I'd pay for good quick access around $100 oz would be it - I suppose the biggest problem I have here is telstras download cap of 3Gb. While people have gloated about having downloaded a hundred Gb in a month before the caps were in place, 3Gb is particularly... restrictive.

I think the same plan with a 10Gb limit is around $280/month

Dang, on my dialup I go close to the 1.5Gb cap I have - and thats one of the least restrictive download dialup accounts!

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  09:23:48
quote:

I suppose the biggest problem I have here is telstras download cap of 3Gb.

Whoops. That's not a download cap - thats a total usage cap. Downloading a 1Gb file can generate 150-200kb of outbound traffic in replies... so a 1Gb file costs 1.2Gb of 'usage'

I'm ranting I suppose, cos I'd really like to have a cheap service I could run servers on - just 'play stuff' like everything I do, but all these macs are sitting here, they may as well be DOING something. It seems by location, I'm missing out!

I did look up cable internet access here. $69aus per month... flat. no restrictions. I think I'll cry!

dana (small country city. pfft)

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  09:31:53
Oh yeah, forgot to touch on that. As far as I can tell, RoadRunner has no cap on downloads or bandwidth per month.

666th poster to the

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  10:08:18
quote:

Oh yeah, forgot to touch on that. As far as I can tell, RoadRunner has no cap on downloads or bandwidth per month.

wau!

It doesn't help having a federal government which loves to put as many restrictions as possible on the net. One famous quote here was that the internet is "not yet fit for purpose". uhhuh?. Good way of saying "we don't want to spend dosh helping promote it". In some ways we're such an advanced country when it comes to picking up technology, but others. oww. bad.

dana

Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  10:34:00
not going to happen.

ph33r my Centris 650.

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  11:12:54
Across Canada, you can either get cable Internet access (not sure of restrictions - I think it varies) or DSL (speed depending on your area, but I don't think less than 1 Mb/s anywhere in a medium city or bigger) for less than $40 CDN (about $27 USD) a month!

Vive le Canada!

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  11:17:13
Wow, Canada's pretty cheap!

666th poster to the

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  11:54:02
Right now, I am on cable, which is about $40 for 1.5Mbit/128kbit. ADSL is typically priced at about $40 for 512kbit/64kbit, so that's pretty much out of the question for me right now. However, after my appartment's finished being renovated, I'll be switching to 7Mbit/1Mbit ADSL at about $85 a month.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  12:27:38
Ooooooh, 7Mbps...yum! For $85 a month that's a deal, but I couldn't afford it.

666th poster to the

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.