cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  09:44:36
Post # 3300
Cory5412
"1-Year Post"
(for those who might care to hear, unless it's in the post elsewhere, my post average is about 11 posts per day)

For those who heard that I had my "1-Year MLA-day" on June 16th 2003 (or there about)...
That was a false alarm. I had accidentally looked at my "last post date", ignored the year and went crazy.
Today, August 5th 2003 is my real 1-year MLA-day.

Having been here one full year, a lot about the MLA has changed, and several things have stayed the same.

Over the past 6-7 months, My family has executed a move from our old home in Maple Valley, Washington, to a temporary home in Mohave Valley, AZ, to the "final destination" in Golden Valley, AZ.

While the move has been an exciting learning experience, after 7 years of having been settled in Maple Valley... it has had it's share of negative experiences and effects, on me as a person and my life.

Over the course of the last 7 months, I've met some great people online and in real life, and I've met some who have had less than a perfect impact.

Although this glorious occasion should likely be accompanied with me being at the MLA, participating, I believe that it might not.
As I've said, I need to determine what about me is good and bad and such. I will be taking a "hiatus" of sorts from the MLA, and probably from my usual AOL IM screen name.
I'll be using this well-deserved time to download Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 as quickly as possible, without being disturbed, and without needing to post or IM about it every 5 minutes.
In addition, I'll be working on the Mac Info Repository project with Catsdorule.
By the time I come back, Intrikit Weaver will be operational. Operational, but still not online. After I 'finish' IW project, by installing, configuring and running the computer as a server, I'll very much likely attempt to find a place to put IW with a broadband internet connection, so as I can run the server online, Or I'll use IW to manage my own intranet and wait until I can get broadband around the house.

When, and if I can get IW online permanently (or long enough to make a dent in anything) I'll be moving a few of my 'online projects' to that computer, and will likely be open to the idea of hosting for other people.

One of the reasons I am taking this hiatus, is because I need to collect myself.
Especially after the past 2 months, when a lot has happened at the MLA, and in general "online." I need to develop a standard "Code of Cory" by which I determine what I consider certain actions and other things to be.

For example, one thing that seems a lot of discrepancies exist in, is "postcount++" or "Post-Count Padding." The issue of post-counts and postcount++/padding has caused quite a stir on the internet lately, and as someone who not only participates majorly in multiple existing online forums, but as a person who will be bringing up his own "Genecomp.NET FORUM" at any time... it will be very important to know what I consider to be "PostCount++;"
As I have been accused of "postcount++" here at the MLA, I also need time to evaluate what that means to me, to the MLA and to said accusers.

In addition to said issues above, I will be evaluating "my place in the world" I need to determine the elements of a typical conversation between myself and any given other person over AIM, what happens and why. If any components need to be changed and how I can do that. I'll also review the typical components of a thread at the MLA, and the typical overview of a project that I start, or help start.

With the information I will be gathering, which is useful for a tenth grader to have anyway, I'll be more prepared for starting conversations, threads, and projects in the future. In addition, I'll have "the edge" in such things.
My intentions are not to become an evil anything, but to be more aware on my effect to the community, the community's effect on myself and how I can change my interactions so that they result in positive action and reaction, rather than the negativity I've been getting lately.

In addition, it is less than two weeks until I start school. As aforementioned, I'll be going into the tenth grade.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  10:13:32
Good luck on your quest of discovery and understanding, I hope it works out well for you.

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  13:36:11
congradulations on both of your journies, both physical and mental.

it must be interesting to spend much time in a transitional period, and have all kinds of things happening.

well, good hunting and warm sleeping places to you cory, and may your journey be a successful one.

CCC

[edit]
funny....

I never noticed this, but my one-year just came and went as well...

I started my crusade on the eighteenth day of the seventh month, the year of our lord two thousand and two.
[/edit]

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //e

Edited by - Clinton on 05 Aug 2003 13:36:55Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  15:15:57
Congrats, Cory! Good luck on your hiatus, too. Sometimes we all need to step away from the things we love, and work on what needs improving. For example, I'm currently stepping away from all the partying for a while, so i can get some serious work done. But yes, good luck, and I can't wait to see the IW online!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  16:08:12
10th grade is a big one (double digits!), but you seem aptly prepared. You need yourself more than anything else in this world. . .else, who/what/where/when/ and how are you?

Performa 630CD
Centris 610
Quadra 950
Quadra 605
Giant 80mb SCSI HDGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  16:24:22
You got that right...its a big year. Also the year I got in trouble with Ipex...ick.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  17:41:06
Take a step back and see the larger picture...it's always good advise. Certianly sometimes I tell people that if they think I am being to "giddy" or odd they can feel free to tell me to smarten up or else I won't get those subtle hints.

I've been in your situation Cory in the past, needing to evaluate where I am, perhaps I don't like the effect I have on people or they on me. Sometimes it's just a small thing that I needed to work on.

I wouldn't let any negative feelings from any of us or the MLA stay with you, these things are pasing in nature, many are just friendly reminders that we share this place on earth, and we sometimes need to give people a litle air or the tend to switch to "fight or flight" if they feel thier space is under attack.

With that I wish you well.

Go to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  18:16:56
glad to see you're doing the same thing i did: taking a break and doing stuff away from the computer. If not away from the computer, then away from the MLA and the stuff that takes up all your time.

Hope you're focused and ready to work on your projects when you get back.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  18:29:56
quote:

I've been in your situation Cory in the past, needing to evaluate where I am, perhaps I don't like the effect I have on people or they on me. Sometimes it's just a small thing that I needed to work on.

Yeah, same here. Matter of fact, it happened to me last Friday.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  20:33:06
I everyonce and a while will sit and take a smaller version of the break you are discribing. But never anything as long. Good luck and I hope you find what your looking for.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  13:42:07
quote:

I everyonce and a while will sit and take a smaller version of the break you are discribing. But never anything as long. Good luck and I hope you find what your looking for.

--------------------
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.

I remember you to a HUGE break, what happened then?

Well... We like to call it ÜberGather2k6/7Go to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  14:40:43
quote:

well... except for your extended time Missing In Action

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  15:18:38
Yes.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  15:27:00
quote:

Yes.

As much as i hate to bring it up, there is no denying the fact that that was a "Token Worthless Post™"

Please no flaming, that was a joke!

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  17:25:49
Whatever.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  19:23:40
quote:

quote:

LOL guys, man that MIA is such a long story, If you guys really want to hear the whole deal then I will have to start a new post or something :P But you are right though I'll say this a majority of that wasnt by my choosing... PAF™. But you are right. I did take a bit of a sabbatical.

But cats, were you even a member before I left? I dont remember. [shrug]

--------------------
Or just 6

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  19:38:30
quote:

LOL guys, man that MIA is such a long story, If you guys really want to hear the whole deal then I will have to start a new post or something :P But you are right though I'll say this a majority of that wasnt by my choosing... PAF™. But you are right. I did take a bit of a sabbatical.

New Thread Time!

EDIT: i misspelled "new"

Edited by - llamaboy487 on 06 Aug 2003 19:38:58Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  20:32:58
quote:

quote:

quote:

But cats, were you even a member before I left? I dont remember. [shrug]

--------------------
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.

Yep I was a member for a month b4 you left, and please do tell us

Well... We like to call it ÜberGather2k6/7Go to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  21:25:17
Ok, well this one will take me a while to type
I'll start a new thred. (crapper I may regret this)

--------------------
Or just 6

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  22:05:31
Why will you regret it?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2003 :  20:04:00
I've ended the hiatus, I don' thave all three CDs of YDL, I don't have a blue/white G3 at my doorstep yet, but I do have the 7300 functionally running 10.1 server, and that's a MAJOR advance in my project.

As of now, I've been administering it remotely and its been running for all of 9 hours I believe, I'm going to take strides in the project by leaving it on all night, possibly for even SETI

thanks all for the good response

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2003 :  20:12:10
Sounds like a nice setup.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2003 :  20:40:13
lol, it works actually... mail service either takes a long time to start up, or simply "doesn't sart" but either way... it's cool because I'll just use the G3 for mail...

I'm going to try out the 10.2 admninistration utilities also.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  00:17:34
That was quick.

IMHO Mac OS X Server 10.1 isn't the best solution for a 7300, but the other Linux versions would be.

I am actually secretly wanting to compile Gnome for Classic as a replacement to the finder. Gnome is a wicked system. I like it better than KDE.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.