All Forums
 Lounge
 Macintosh Friendly IM Service
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  15:45:16
It's clear that Microsoft, AOL and others are moving away from older machine support, and eventually we will see thier protocalls changing enough that those of us who still use 68K's for instant messaging will find it is impossible.

After doing research, it seems IRC is stable enough and well supported by the community that it won't have the pitfalls of other IM networks, because it's open and basically free.

I know that Instant Messaging is possible in IRC and same for file transfers.

What I am researching and will gladly welcome any information on is:

A suitable software to use for the irc server, (Linux Server) and one that will require clients to quickly register thier name and have passwords etc.

I have not looked into Mac clients, but does anyone know if Mac clients can have contact lists like users have with MSN? See, principle being that once users have registered, thier name won't change. So, a contact list can be created for your buddies on the IRC server.

I would use the 68kmla.org domain to put the server on since it's a 68KMLA IRC service.

If anyone would like to help out with this it would be great.

Question: Do the 68K Clients support SSL? I would like to enable SSL, just makes things more secure. We don't need anyone snooping our personal conversations.

If I have left anything out let me know. The beauty of IRC is that it is cross platform and the protocall is not going to change greatly enough to suddenly leave 68K users and Mac users out of the loop overnight.

BoJ

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  18:08:00
This article may be of some help.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  18:40:58
ooOOoo

Perhaps this could tie into our discussion about eWorld in a separate thread... maybe they could all be part of one project to have a new eWorld type thing.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  19:13:55
Yes.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  08:52:49
Sounds good. Hopefully today I will get the 8600, and with that machine to take the load off my PC, I can start beta testing some of these services. It's not going to be an easy road, but the first major hurdle will be the actual server setup so that people can start chatting and sending messages.

The next step will be making sure a good client is used. So, we will see.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.