Apple ][
 What to do with 2 working apple IIe's??
Author Topic  
V_locity
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts
Posted - 03 Aug 2003 :  21:21:08
ok, i've had these things for a while now. both have the memory expansion card, one is an orginal apple IIe the other is a apple IIe platnum. i have a dual 400k 5.25 drive and one single 5.25 drive. (i think 400k is right) all i have for it software wise is apple works. don't rember what vers tho. no other cards, but do have a game controler with 2 sliders, and a button on the joystick.
getting software seems really hard. i have an se (dual floppy) but its not working, created a boot disk, get the happy mac, and then about 30 seconds into the boot, starts making this god awful screaching sound, (comming from the speaker) and the display gets all screwed up, like a tv with a bad vertical and horziontal hold. <--any ideas how to fix this?? but any way, i wish i could use the se to transfer the files i find on the internet but i can't. does anyone know a hack to get one of them 5.25 drives to work with a newer powermac? i would use my other 68k macs, but they are dead. won't even boot, (nother problem nother time).

so anyone with any fun, wacky, or whatever ideas please help me out :)
just warn me if there is a chance i might toast one of them. special feeling about those old apple's :)

oh, what about the audio tape input? i know it can be a pain in the butt to get working, but does anyone have any recordings, or know where any websites can be found with the sound files so i may try to load it in that way.

ok, what about maybe using it to act as a terminal for my osx boxes?? is that even plausable?

ok thats it. i'm done for now. :)
~V

2 apple IIe's, 1 SE, 1 128k, 1 512k, and a 5x PPC's

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  00:17:38
Isnt there a 5.25 floppy addon for the old macs?

The only apple II I have is a IIgs and it has both floppies (5.25/3.5) So getting software to it isnt that hard (any old 68k with auti inject drive can make IIgs disks)

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  02:23:28
I believe there's an external SCSI 5.25" drive, but never, never, never, NEVER plug the Apple 5.25" floppy drive for the Apple II series machines into a Mac. If you do you will fry the SWIM chip (floppy controller).

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

V_locity
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  22:42:06
ya sure about that??
my SE has a port on the back with a disk icon that looks like a 5.25 floppy disk. and the port even matches.

no if i can just get it too boot.
oh well. and thanks for the replies. :)

2 apple IIe's, 1 SE, 1 128k, 1 512k, and a 5x PPC'sGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  01:23:05
Yes, the icon on the port does look like a 5.25" floppy disk, and the plug does fit, but if you turn it on with it plugged in, well, like i said before, you may as well go ebaying for a new logic board. You will fry it.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 06 Aug 2003 :  12:30:44
I am not sure about that, I once did that with a plus and the light on the 5.25 came on and it sounded like it was trying to access the drive, but it would not boot up until I removed it. I swear that that plus wasnt fried, the drive may have been, but I didnt check it afterwords so I dont know. But yes, the drive wont work on a Mac, but it didnt fry mine either. Either way, I would stick with that advice not to try it.

Logan

Quadra 950, Workgroup Server 9150, Performa 6400, Powerbook 2300c, 4x Quadra 700's, iBookGo to Top of Page

V_locity
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  03:43:50
ok thanks ppl :)
*sigh* just thought i'd check this before i go into work. hmmm....now to think of other things to do to it. heh. i wonder how hard it would be to put my g3/266 in one of em cases....a friend of mine wanted to but a b/w g3 in there. oh well. maybe i'll get around to making aportable IIe like i always wanted, and learn apple basic.
thanks for the info. :) and as far as that se...well...its already got to be fried. lol. need to open it up one of these days. now to find a long t-20 driver....

~V

2 apple IIe's, 1 SE, 1 128k, 1 512k, and a 5x PPC'sGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 Aug 2003 :  03:51:48
You should be able to fit your G3 in there, but the power supply will need to be external, due to how big it is. Plus, to open an SE, you'll need a T-15, not a T-20.

Hope this helps

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

0tto
Starting Member

Norway
2 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2003 :  01:05:58
"i have an se (dual floppy) but its not working, created a boot disk, get the happy mac, and then about 30 seconds into the boot, starts making this god awful screaching sound, (comming from the speaker) and the display gets all screwed up, like a tv with a bad vertical and horziontal hold. <--any ideas how to fix this??"

This could be ROM/RAM problem. Try reseating the ROM and RAM sims and cleaning their pins. If this doesn’t help you could try changing the RAM. This fixed my Plus with a similar problem.
If you’re not familiar with working inside a SE, (its possible lethal, )you should learn some more or get help. http://home.tiscali.dk/cadams/se/ has lots of information on this machine, and might have other solutions for your troubles.

0tto
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.