All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 Enhancing the 68kmla
Author Topic  
Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  17:50:47
No, I'm not talking about a new host or new forum software.

I do however have to suggestions, I'd call them ideas but they've already been done at Cubeowner.com.

(1) As there is no real 68kmla site, that certainly contains no real content, yet there is a wealth of 68k information here why not have a FAQ/forum, basically it's a section of the forum with really strict moderation and focussed threads. For instance one thread might be, about 68k hard drive support, and various people would contribute to the thread (although it might only need 1 or 2 posts) All non PPC Macs require an HFS partition to boot from but those supporting OS xyz can access an HFS+ partition.

Other threads would cover things like PRAM batteries, appletalk, SCSI Voodoo etc.

Everyone could contribute and particularly interesting threads or posts from the lounge etc could get moved in to the FAQ for posterity.

This seems like a good way to get a bit more out of the 68kmla if you ask me.

(2)People often want to post pictures but not everyone has their own web-space and there are problems with geocities accounts etc. Would it be possible to have a 68kmla gallery setup here?

This might require features the current host doesn't have but anyone with a reasonable connection (or a dedicated hosting account with someone like iPowerWeb) could set one up themselves, there's a script called simply gallery (1.3 I think) which is pretty good for this type of thing. Duplicating logins might be a bit of a pain but we could sort something out.

Any opinions? anyone think it's a crap idea

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 Cube

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  18:00:23
Yeah, I agree with the bit about the Gallery, but if we don't implement it, a good pic hosting solution is Brinkster.com. Yes, i know its run off Windows as well, but it supports direct linking and all that other stuff we love to do.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  18:08:48
Yeah but what about all the people who are always setting up servers? This would be a great use, I'm actually going to have a look in to setting one up on my hosting account, it has plenty of bandwidth but I am not sure how much space I could spare for one, actually not sure how much I would need either.

EDIT - Had a quick look at brinkster, fair enough it's free but without mySQL there is not much you can do in the way of databases (which you need for the good gallery software) and we would need quite a few accounts, I'm proposing something where people can use their existing accounts (or logins at least) or just have a general login for all 68kmla users and trust people to put their user-name in the comments/title

Edited by - gothikon on 01 Aug 2003 18:11:53Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  18:11:44
Good thought.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1

Edit: No, what i was thinking was that people who aren't lucky enough to have their own servers could get a Brinkster acct, and use that for hosting pics.

Edited by - maclover5 on 01 Aug 2003 18:53:54Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  02:49:17
68kmla.org will be moving to a new server soon and it's bandwidth will be unlimited with SQL.

We might be able to do this.

Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  03:12:57
This is the gallery script I was thinking of, nice and easy to setup, lots of configuration options. Actually what's intersting is that Cubeowner uses seperate logins for the forums and gallery (hadn't noticed before) so i guess it would require some intermediatory scripting to share logins. Even if that's not an option it's still seems like a good idea, also much better than cluttering the actual forums with images.

Links, http://gallery.sourceforge.net and http://www.phpfreaks.com/script/view/95.php

The FAQ stuff is a bit simpler someone just needs to create a new area and assign some admins, the software is already here.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  17:15:52
quote:

Yeah, I agree with the bit about the Gallery, but if we don't implement it, a good pic hosting solution is Brinkster.com. Yes, i know its run off Windows as well, but it supports direct linking and all that other stuff we love to do.

I'd have to say i wouldn't trust brinkster.com with anything man.

If you need any help from me, just ask.

Well... We like to call it ÜberGather2k6/7Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  17:36:12
quote:
I'd have to say i wouldn't trust brinkster.com with anything man.

Why?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  18:06:42
I don't trust free services unless it was iether paid for by blood or money.

Free services just are plain annoying and disrupt the flow and the internet with cheesy ads, pop-ups, cookies and other just plain idiotic stuff.

When it's paid for yeah, you have less pocket change, but it's yours and when something goes wrong, you get to bitch even more about it.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  20:19:51
yes, many of us do have our own servers, for example, I will soon be getting the blue/white 450MHz to run as my server, but without high speed internet, and with the hispeed internet solution we're looking into... I'd be allowed to run a server (I was told) but he'd have to "clock" us or turn down our bandwidth if I used too much...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  20:37:41
quote:

Free services just are plain annoying and disrupt the flow and the internet with cheesy ads, pop-ups, cookies and other just plain idiotic stuff.

Actually, one of the reasons i like Brinkster so much is because of the fact that it has no ads or any of those evil things.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 03 Aug 2003 :  05:39:08
That is a rare sight then. I wonder how long it will last.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 03 Aug 2003 :  16:38:17
I believe it's lasted for a year now, which is as long as i've known about it.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 03 Aug 2003 :  21:29:17
Yes, but brinkster is a ripoff to pay for.

Well... We like to call it ÜberGather2k6/7Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 03 Aug 2003 :  21:31:16
Yeah, i agree with that, but its excellent for free hosting.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  11:42:31
Yeah the pic post would be great, but what I allways thought was that if we had another forum entitled gallery where we could post pics.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  09:39:22
that's a good idea, and I do remember yo suggesting it before

If and when I have a camera that works with the mac, I'll be taking loads of photos of things

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  10:36:36
Here's what I have to say... I think that using the 68kmla as more than forums is a great idea, and if I know anything, I think that was the original intent, but I cannot say for sure though. I have the motivation to do work in that respect, time is what is currently preventing me, I'd be willing to work on stuff as time allows to get specs and all info I can on all 68k systems, and OSes. I'd even throw something together in Dreamweaver for the site... People who are looking for a 68k resource get a somewhat decent resource here at the MLA, but people outside of our group don't necessarilly want to dig through threads looking for information. So if we were able to supply the info on a "silver platter" so to speak we'd be doing more good for the 68k community and we would appear more welcoming to those on the outside. I've had all kinds of ideas for site development, but never talked about them. The gallery idea is nice, I don't know how to "automate" submissions and what not, but if they were submitted via email, I know how to create a manual system for making them available. It just requires that one thing, what was it, oh ya, work....

Basically if others are behind me (~Coxy, this means you) busting my ass to actually make resources easily available to the public, let me know and I'll start working, I just don't want to work on the project and find out I wasted my time. If that's not where the MLA is meant to go I don't want to try and force anything. I remain in the same position I always have been in. As far as I know ~Coxy is like the "owner" so to speak of the MLA, and if it is his then he should be giving the aproval or disaproval of our ideas. So that's who's input I find the most crucial, as soon as he approves, then I view the project as move forwardable.

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  13:32:09
I support any improvements on the MLA website.

when I get a new newton (mine was stolen) I am going to work on the database of all macs/apple equip. of all time..
anyhoo...

keep us rolling foreward.

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  17:35:13
I also support improvements.

At this point my life is an insane mess with my computer life being even worse, caught in the upheaval of multiple machines who have not properly swapped data.

Once this big move is over, I can start to spend more time on the webpages and database I am working on. The database has all models of 68K machines as well as specs and information relating to them.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.