All Forums
 Lounge
 The iMac hath landed
Author Topic  
Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  09:41:45
The blueberry 350 slot load I bought off of evilBay hath landed. The folks at Andale charge a lot for shipping, but I daresay I've never seen an item so completely packed. They used that expanding foam stuff in the case. 3 of me could've sat on the box and done no harm.

Anyhow, the little bugger (it hasn't told me it's name yet) is up and running OS 9.1 quite snappily. Thanks to Maclover5's answering my question about the ram config, I bought a stick of 256 and now the little skudderbumpkins has 320mb of ram.

My copy of YDL should arrive soon. Wish me luck.

(BTW, even my husband thinks this is a cute computer.)

68K's liberated: 4
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  11:19:21
I think SAF just hit 99%

BTW, have you used YDL before on a new-world PowerMac? How good is hardware support and performance? I've been playing with Linux a bit on my iMac but so far I haven't found a version I like. Mandrake Linux 9.1 is the best so far.

---------------------------------------------
I want to be unique just like everybody else.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  12:13:45
COOL!
I actually was going to try to get one of those 'lil buggers' but I went for a 450 MHz G3 instead. I might try out YDL sometime, but I believe that it's OSX/OSX server for me!

good luck with your new baby!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  16:05:29
quote:

I think SAF just hit 99%

BTW, have you used YDL before on a new-world PowerMac? How good is hardware support and performance? I've been playing with Linux a bit on my iMac but so far I haven't found a version I like. Mandrake Linux 9.1 is the best so far.

I want to be unique just like everybody else.

Haven't used YDL at all. In fact, other than playing some games of Kmajhonng on a Linux box a few years back, I haven't played with Linux at all.

I plan to work this in to an article for OS News.

PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  16:18:57
Nice! So i'm guessing its name will probably be skudderbumpkins?

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  19:06:41
Actually Kady Mae that is what you should call it!

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  23:42:22
Maybe.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  00:45:49
quote:

The blueberry 350 slot load I bought off of evilBay hath landed. The folks at Andale charge a lot for shipping, but I daresay I've never seen an item so completely packed. They used that expanding foam stuff in the case. 3 of me could've sat on the box and done no harm.

Anyhow, the little bugger (it hasn't told me it's name yet) is up and running OS 9.1 quite snappily. Thanks to Maclover5's answering my question about the ram config, I bought a stick of 256 and now the little skudderbumpkins has 320mb of ram.

My copy of YDL should arrive soon. Wish me luck.

(BTW, even my husband thinks this is a cute computer.)

PowerMacs adopted: 1

Your husband has finally learned that making fun of anything you buy will get him a week of sleeping on the couch

If I had to get an all in one I would probably go for an Emac for the larger screen, I cant stand anything smaller then a 17" monitor these days.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  00:48:48
skudderbumpkins is a good name

Hamtaro happens to be taken by my iMac

SameGame is a VERY good game on linux! I played it with LinuxPPC on my iMac a long while back... :LOVED IT:

anyway... I think you'd be happy with YDL.. espcecially on a newworld... hardware support and performance are VERY good with YDL as I've heard... better thanmandrake at least...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  09:11:42
Well, so far, the YDL install has been a complete freaking disaster.

And hooo-boy is my write up for OS News going to rip YDL a new zipcode on that one.

It will not, no matter how many times, give me the graphical installer. It says that the X system fails and kicks me over to text. And then Disk Druid says I have no free space -- depite the fact that I have just formatted the disk -- and won't let me edit the partitions on the drive at all.

I'm going to try installing with the apple 1 button mouse and see if that makes a difference. (I have a 2 button logitech optical in at the moment -- a year old, very vanilla mouse.)

Anyhow, trust me, the review is going to start out with me setting the Wand of Sarcasm (tm) to "Deep Fry". I've installed W9x, WME, OS 8, OS X, BeOS, and Corel Linux without a hitch. This kind of failure in an OS which claims to be tailored to apple hardware (and you can't get more stock than an iMac) is inexcuseable.

---

Skudderbumpins is a good name, but I'm also considering Figwit, as all my Gseries macs have had LoTR related names. (Glorfindel, Galadriel)

(if you don't know figwit, google it. it's a pretty funny story.)

---

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  09:46:34
heh... I wouldn't ever have thought that :gasp: YDL could go bad... but of course, I haven't ever done it before

the iMac has ATi Rage 128 pro (I believe) video, so maybe if you typed "install -atyfb" in there...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  12:14:10
Here's the thing ...

It detects that I have a rage 128 chipset, imac display, apple keyboard and a 2 button USB mouse.

Grrr.

I've subbed to the noobie YDL list. Hopefully somebody will get me sorted.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  13:15:04
owch... the noobie list

anyway... I've NEVER gotten mandrake 8.2 to work on the 7300

Linux on OldWorld isn't something that impresses me too much...

if I can get 10.1 working on the 7300, and 10.2 workin' on the Blue/White G3... I'll be UberHappy

good luck in getting iMac+YDL working.

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  19:15:57
Maybe your problem is that you formatted the disk. Linux requires and unformatted drive to install on. What I did with Mandrake is I made my HFS+ OS X partition first, about 30gigs, then my HFS+ Classic partition, 1gig. I changed the format of partition 3 to "Free space" (unformatted). When you start the intsall it asks you if you want to use any free space on the drive or if you want to custom partition it. It needs to create 3 partitions out of the free space, one for the system, one for the swap file, and one for /home.

Anyway, just and idea. Maybe it is just YDL that's messed up .

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  20:27:47
I usually just let linux take care of that partitioning junk... that stuff's a bit over me head if you know what I mean...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  18:31:24
WooT! Finally got the iMac up and running under YDL 3.0

Everybody kept saying I had to format the drive to "undefined".

It wasn't until one of the people on the YDL list said something like, don't format it, you want it partitioned and let linux format it, that I finally got somewhere.

I went to the *partition* tab in disk utilities and lo and behold partitioned it into undefined.

After that, it installed without a hitch.

Of course, the instructions never mention the partition trick, and the gurus on the list never seemed to understand that telling someone to format a disk is not the same as telling them to partition it.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  20:03:35
cool! I'm actually downloading YDL 3.0 (www.linuxiso.org) now... it's good to know that it's not borked

Of course... it'll be a few days (or weeks) before I have it all downloaded... but if it runs reliably and easily as a server on the b/w g3 and/or the 7300 it'll be worth it to me...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  20:13:51
*watches download prgress*

Yep, I'm downloading it too . It's averaging 21 hours per disc image, so I might not be able to get all three downloaded before I leave . Anyway, glad you got it running. I thought it might be the whole unformatted thing . Keep us informed on its performance just in case we all can't test it out ourselves.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  20:29:36
yeah... are you on dialup thequietman?

I guess that all this downloading I'll be doing will probably stop me from posting@MLA (seeing as how I'm on dialup)

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  21:00:37
Whenever I do any serious CD downloading, I try to locate a place that has high-speed Internet and Zip drives. Then I use WinZip (since it's probably going to be on a PC) to split it into 100 (250MB) parts and copy it to the Zip disks. It's a much better way, especially if you're downloading more than 1 CD.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  23:59:29
yeah... that is a good way to do it... I've even heard of people downloading and burning CDs completely from school and stuff...

alas... it would have been a perfect idea were i still in journalism@RVHS...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.