All Forums
 Balloon Help
 PCI Devices
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  17:25:09
I have a question here. Does the Macintosh PCI standard slots have any fundamental voltage/hardware differences from a PC that would cause PC PCI cards to malfunction or damage a system?

Is it a matter of drivers or of firmware?

I just thought if I am going to make a forray into Macintosh, I have seen advertised upgrade cards for the PC, which are PCI in form and have a new CPu on them, and thought I could get into the dirty code and see if I can write drivers for them. (A long learning time but highly worth it if it is physically possible)

So, if these PCi cards are plugged in, will they crash a Mac or cause it to overheat or otherwise obliterate the universe?

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  17:37:12
PCI is standard across platforms, differing only in driver requirements (software)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  17:38:44
There's absolutely no difference. As long as there's drivers for the Mac to use it, it'll work. And even if it doesn't, and you're experimenting, the Mac's PCI slots won't fry anything.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  17:52:23
They don't sell them anymore but hopefully I can find a used card somewhere, they used AMD chips on a PCI card to upgrade systems that were beyond upgrades.

Might be worth hacking into.

Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  20:28:06
Yes PCI is PCI not matter what computer it is in.

Writing drivers for a computer on a card isnt going to be easy )or possible I bet).

There are PCI and ISA cards that are designed to fit into a passive backplane for embedded computing/data aquisition/etc. Thats probably what your talking about. These cards are complete PC's including sound/ram/video/IDE.

There were some real old 286 pc upgrades for XT class PC's but those were all ISA.

I have never seen a PCI card that upgrades a 486/Pentium class machine into a faster machine.

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  23:59:04
EverGreen Technologoes used to make a CPU upgrade with a AMD K6 on it for older systems that could not handle a newer CPU.

If I get a few I can donate them to some of the Mac developers and see what they can dig up.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.