All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Re-partition without erasing?
Author Topic  
thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:59:07
Is there a way to re-partition a hard drive without erasing all the data on the drive? I assume it would involve moving all data to a specific part of the drive beforehand as well. How does one go about this? I can't seem to find any tools that do it.

---------------------------------------------
I want to be unique just like everybody else.

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  14:32:22
Its more tricky than just shoving the data into one small area of the HD. Changing the size of a volume changes the logical block size in SCSI (I don't know about IDE). This means that the number of blocks consumed by each file will change and the location, spacing, and wasted space on the drive will change (notice how an identical file has two different sizes on two differently sized drives). In principle one could create software that would do a low-level remapping of the data to synthesize the post-repartitioned configuration of the files, but this would be very tricky. The utility would have to bypass Apple's software and work directly with the disk.

Even if you can find such a utility, I would not trust it to work reliably or leave the disk with a reliably repartitioned disk structure. There are too many nasty little variables here with interactions between Apple's software, the drive manufacturer's firmware, the repartitioning utility, etc. You would absolutely want to do a full and reliable backup before attempting this type of repartitioning. And if you have to do a full backup anyway, then you might as well erase the disk and start from scratch.

Just my 0.02. If you find such a tool, then I really do wish you success with it!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  17:14:57
The easiest thing would be to make a Disk Copy Clone of the hard disk and save that to another device or network location, redo your hard disk then merge that image back.

Disk Copy is the free Norton Ghost of Apple Macs.

Go to Top of Page

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  17:46:37
Well the whole reason I would like to re-partition without erasing is because I have no way to back up my hard disk. If anyone knows a good way to back up a 40gig HD without another disk at least as big then let me know. A DVD-RAM drive is a bit expensive just for backups, and a lot of files won't fit on CDRs.

BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to back up your whole hard disk to an iPod? I think you can but do you have to have the iPod software installed already or can you hook it up just like an external HD and boot from it?

---------------------------------------------
I want to be unique just like everybody else.Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 09 Aug 2003 :  23:59:18
I would think you could use the iPod like that…

heh, not that I have [or could] test it
*Dad's iPod*…

If I open my window all the bugs will get in… That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
LC ||
LC |||
||si
||ci
Quadra 660av
Quadra 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 2x 5260/100, 5400/120, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, C600 240Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Aug 2003 :  13:28:42
yeah, Apple's disk utility doesn't really work for this kind of stuff, just the other day I reformatted my TiBook on accident, while trying to convert the smaller partition into "free space"

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.