All Forums
 Mac II Line
 iiSI
Author Topic  
scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  15:29:42
Macintosh iiSI rescued from storage and is the secondary machine at one of my relative's households! Now all it needs is ethernet. It has everything but LAN access. Any ideas how to get this sucker online via an RJ-45 LAN?

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  16:35:23
Finally, someone brings this place back to life! Does it have a NuBus adapter? Because you have two options:

a) Get a NuBus card adapter, and a NuBus ethernet card

b) Find the right angle adapter that plugs into the IIsi's PDS, and has another PDS and ethernet. I've seen one of these at the Shop before. They do exist.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  17:55:15
I scrounged up a complete three piece ethernet setup for the SE/30 which is supposed to have the same slot as the IIsi so I would sell it to you if you want. It is a Novell Kinetics Etherport SE. I think it would work with the IIsi, but I dont know for 100 percent sure. I would sell it cheap if you wanted it.

Logan

PS. You would need an AUI to 10BaseT transceiver. You should be able to find those everywhere.

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  06:18:36
The IIsi has a 68030 PDS slot and will accept many (but not all) of the same cards that an SE/30 accepts. I have a IIsi that has a Asante MacCon 3-in-1 Card that combines an FPU socket, right-angle PDS pass-thru, and ethernet (including AAUI, Coax, & RJ-45) all on one little PDS card and ethernet jack daughter card combo. http://njcc.com/~hjohnson/m_net.html#MacCon claims to have some for sale for an unknown amount. If you get one without manual and software, a big of googling and digging will find these at Asante's site.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  13:56:25
Well its not my computer.... I just wanted to get some ideas going. This iiSI might be a bit slow for internet browsing but it outta be perfect for word processing. heh.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  15:43:07
That card should work on the IIsi, although it might be a little too high for the IIsi, and you may have to leave the case off.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 30 Jul 2003 :  00:43:18
Overclock that IIsi! It was originally designed to run at 25MHz, but apple decided to hobble it on purpose at the last minute. All will run at 25MHz, and almost all will run at 33MHz. That much of a boost makes surfing much more doable. You will really feel the difference. I've upgraded many a IIsi this way for friends and family.

Also use "IIsi ram muncher" to make the thing run even faster (google around for it).

Go to Top of Page

muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 02 Aug 2003 :  04:27:30
Thought I would throw in a related question as I have never been able to get the Asante MacCon 3 working right on my IIsi. Got it last February and it still doesn't work right/at all. Downloaded the drivers from asante and the mac (Sys 7.6) recognizes the co-processor, but only the lower green light on the ethernet adapter turns on. Thought the jumper might have been fixed only to work on the AAUI, but everything is as it should be for RJ45. Strange, I have no problems getting my Performa 475 hooked up through my router with an Asante LC ethernet card, so I don't think I have the settings wrong. Any suggestions? I would like to get this on the net, as the second HD on the IIsi has about 400Mb of different programs (mostly in German and hard to find on the net) saved from various HDDS that I have found this year.

2LCs, IIsi, Performa475, Quadra950

Go to Top of Page

dave1212

Canada
65 Posts
Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  13:41:03
I've got an Ethernet card in my IIci, but nothing for my IIsi.. would very much like to get it on the LAN.

< There is no text to preview ! >
"Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
Cannot open database ''. It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.
/68kmla/inc_top.asp, line 75"

Liberated 68xxx Macs: IIsi, IIci (2), LC II, Classic II (2)

Liberated PowerPC Macs:
Powerbook 5300cs, Power Mac 7500/100

Other:
Color StyleWriter 2400, AppleCD 150 (cd-caddy type!), Apple 12" Monochrome Display, Apple Color Display (13")Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.