68k Software
 Bolo (Capture the Flag?)
Author Topic  
skamen
Drunken Sailor

USA
48 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2002 :  08:59:38
I've tried other forums with this question but I think that 68k folk would know more about Bolo than some of the people in other forums. I love Bolo. Playing it on the network is great. The only thing that I dislike about the game is the lack of a true objective which makes it boring after you play for a while. If there is a way to play capture the flag in Bolo that would be awesome. Does anybody know if this is possible , and if so how?

thanks

-Scott

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
skamen- Lieutenant Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 3

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2002 :  23:48:50
Not officially, no. If you were playing with people you could trust then you could make up a way to do it...

Idea: one computer has no one playing it, or someone on a fast machine opens two programs (for each team), and the objective is to kill this ghost tank who is well hidden/protected.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  13:25:11
I've been thinking that like the MAF has TeamMacAddict for UT, we should start a Team68kMLA for Bolo! Is there a new version of the bolo network pinger for broadband users? Or does the old one work fine? Sorry, I haven't played anything but direct-AppleTalked Bolo games in the last five years.

Oh yeah, another thing to make Bolo more intersting is to design your own maps. I have several that I made myself, and you can pretty much create map where there is some sort of a "goal". For instance, you could create a sort of "capture the pillbox" game where there's only one pillbox and it's very hard to get to, etc.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 04 Feb 2002 13:26:31Go to Top of Page

skamen
Drunken Sailor

USA
48 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  14:25:39
It's great to see other people that play Bolo! I think that a Bolo clan would be a GREAT idea. If you want to play Download Bolo Buddy:
http://www.kagi.com/kev/buddy/

We should set up a time and start playing (Although I have noticed a lot of people in the forum are in Australia which could create a problem as far as finding a good time to play with people in the U.S.). It's just nice to be able to find people to play with. There is usually at least one or two games in action on Bolo Buddy. Another option that we could do for multiplayer is to use GameRanger (www.GameRanger.com). Usually I don't play Bolo on GameRanger because hardly anyone on there plays it (there two Busy with Quake III , UT and AOE II) , but If we could organize it so that we are on GameRanger it might work. Also GameRanger is a lot more user friendly and would be easier for a lot of people. What ever works it good. I just want to play Bolo!

-Scott

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  15:06:10
quote:

We should set up a time and start playing (Although I have noticed a lot of people in the forum are in Australia which could create a problem as far as finding a good time to play with people in the U.S.).

maybe, seem to be a lot of insomniacs from all over the place hangin' here, 'sides short sessions morn/night alternation, maybe we can screw up everybody's circa.......
*yawn*
jt

screw up the ascii rhytnvmaa......2......edit.....*yaaawwwwnn!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 04 Feb 2002 15:07:52Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  15:49:38
Bolo Buddy, that's the name of it. Man, I used to fire up the old 14.4k TelePort modem on my Duo 280 and play Bolo against opponents far and wide! I didn't realize it had built-in broadband support, though I guess it goes without saying. We should definitely try to get a campaign going!

666th poster to the

Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

skamen
Drunken Sailor

USA
48 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  18:14:57
We should set up time to play then. I'm good to go between 4 PM and 10 PM Eastern U.S.

-Scott

Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  19:44:56
The Clan Idea is an excellent one skamen! Though my mother restricts my internet use I may be able to play sometimes. I am an avid Bolo fan so it would be great to see others play. It's getting so hard to find people to play. Is there a capture the flag mod for it though? Even if it isn't part of the full real non hacked version. As skamen said, after a few hours of play it seems to drag on so it would be kind of cool to see something like a score. It would also add a lot more depth and point to playing it and building a good base defense and stuff. Man, some professional development people should make a new and improved version of the old classic wonder game.

Christophillis-
Privite First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4

Edited by - Christophillis on 04 Feb 2002 19:48:37Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  20:19:57
quote:

Man, some professional development people should make a new and improved version of the old classic wonder game.

google around linuxlunaticland, bet they play, net/x-windoz/DebGnu68k/screamin..........maybe.................I don't really do the game thing, but this sounds like fun........I'd set up a linux box if..........

jt =8-}

p.s. think you could play pong singles or doubles matches (like the original) in real time on dialup or broadband? or air hockey? loved andy i's column when he remarked on the similarity between mice 'n air hockey ......... thingies ..........

yo!.....fw! is the coherence level fallin' off again? *..... bah! ...... can't be that bad if i'm aski ..........*

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  20:28:47
quote:

Idea: one computer has no one playing it, or someone on a fast machine opens two programs (for each team), and the objective is to kill this ghost tank who is well hidden/protected.

How about a twist? create robotic-tanks/bumper-armored-cars with mallets/gloves and code our own team sport, a meld of indoor soccer-jai alai-ice hockey-polo, the ball could be somebody's head like bill ga........*gotta get some sleep .......*

jt
=8-b

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  09:16:24
Kinda sounds like Moopsball, JT.

Okay, I'm seriously going to get to work to create a "Capture-the-Pillbox" map for Bolo and test it out...

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  10:40:53
quote:

Kinda sounds like Moopsball, JT.

LINK!.................please.....
Don't do games, glad every time I find out that some other lunatic beat me to an idea.......no work involved!

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  11:22:50
Unfortunately, there's no online link to the rules of Moopsball, as no one has ever bothered to transcribe it. However, if you ever happen to want to read them, they were written by Gary Cohn, in the sci-fi collection Orbit 18, edited by Damon Knight and published back in 1976.

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  11:54:52
quote:

Unfortunately, there's no online link to the rules of Moopsball, as no one has ever bothered to transcribe it.

drat! sounds like there may be coding involved too!
got me again, way to go, cinemo!

jt

p.s. Is Moops more like Pong or Armored Cav. Polo? Forgot to ask......

p.p.s. I'll start on coding manuals when I'm finished with my feasibility analysis of Heinlein's Icarus scenario in ,"The Menace From Earth". It's slow-go/no-go, aerodynamics research does not mix well with limited higher math skills. *........electronics either for that matter! =8-}*

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  12:29:04
quote:
p.s. Is Moops more like Pong or Armored Cav. Polo? Forgot to ask......

The latter. Someday, I hope to be rich and famous so I can start my own Moopsball league...yeah, that would be fun...

666th poster to the

skamen
Drunken Sailor

USA
48 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  14:00:20
cinemafia when you finish that Map can you either upload it to the 68kmla Hotline server or email it to me (skame@mac.com) . I'm very interested in this. I've fooled around making some maps with BMAPEdit but none of them were very good.

-Scott

Go to Top of Page

skamen
Drunken Sailor

USA
48 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  14:16:47
Scratch that email address. Sorry it's skamen@mac.com.

-Scott

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  14:25:10
Sure, I'll do so!

666th poster to the

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  19:12:05
Hey Scott, I found a good map editor for Bolo just now. I don't know if anyone else uses it but it's called Bolostar. So are we going to do the clan thing? Anyone? I think it would be cool.

Christophillis-
Privite First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  19:30:50

Bolo Clan! Bolo Clan!

What is special about Bolostar? (I ask because I never have used it or even heard of it. I always used BMapedit)

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  07:41:58
I have both of those editors, they are virtually identical. If I remember correctly they both have about the same features, but one of them will let you put mines under pillboxes ( I don't remember which one).

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  14:44:39
Mines under pillboxers!? Thats different I have both so i'll try to see which does it. We need to start playing Bolo as a clan!

Christophillis-
Privite First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2002 :  15:24:41
Yeah, mines under pillboxes. I don't remember the exact steps to do it, but I think it was BMapedit that let you do it. I just copy/paste in one from a map that already has a mined pillbox in it. Its got somthing to do with the mines around the outside edge of the map though, becuse the mined pillboxes will kill you even if you are at full health.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  23:53:45
I'll join a Bolo Clan, but I won't be properly online till March. I've heard people in the Uni Computer Club at UWA (where I'm going) play it too, we may get a few members from there!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.