My PB 180 : From getting to gutting.
Author Topic  
Golgo
Starting Member

Canada
8 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  20:19:58
Hey everybody!

I introduced myself to the MLA in the 68k Conquests forum so if you want the more detailed story, look there. Thanks. Moving on.

The short story is that I work at a Mac store and a coworker got a 180 and 190 from a customer. So he heard of my love for the 68ks and he gave me the 180.

Now that it's sunk in my head that I own it (I love saying that), I've booted successfully into OS 7.1. The previous owner has not deleted anything so I get a couple of programs I'll keep but otherwise it's just someone's business crap.

But hey! It's all there, the happy boot, the no-dead pixel screen. Good start.

Moving on to hardware. Immediately we have problems; no vertical response with the trackball. Left and right is super smooth. Too bad about that vertical. Next, the floppy works great. Wonder if I can get the swappable CD-ROM?

Before I move on, I'll mention that I've since found a replacement trackball/button unit so that's cleared.

So how much RAM? How big's the hard drive? 10 and 80 MB. I got a 500 MB HD which is going in with a fresh install of OS 7.6.1, the maximum OS the 180 will handle.

So we're getting there, almost done. The keyboard has some messed keys so I'm fixing that already. What else.. oh yea, the serial port for the printer. This is alright cause I've got a second port which is freely assignable just like the printer port.

That's it for the hard stuff. Oh, except the battery. That's good too amazingly. OK now I'm done. :)

Now I've got to finish off the trackball and keyboard repairs, probably test them on the old HD then swap the 500 MB in and start fresh. I'm going off now to compile a list of apps, tools, and games I want/need. And I'll see what I can do about maxxing the RAM. Just 4 MB to go! *chuckle*

The fun has only just begun!

<l3VEr>

Edited by - Golgo on 25 Jul 2003 22:46:08

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  21:31:48
Firstly, the 180 has no way of using an internal swappable CD-ROM. Any and all CD-ROM drives must be connected to the external SCSI bus. Also, you'll want to make sure your 500 megger is SCSI, as the 180 needs a SCSI HD.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  03:21:45
Looks like a good start. Is it possible the problems with the trackball and keyboard are just a loose cable? Many powerbook problems can be fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting the cable to the "defective" part of the book. If you ever have problems with the screen, try reseating the cable.

Enjoy your new (old) powerbook!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

dave1212

Canada
65 Posts
Posted - 30 Jul 2003 :  17:27:48
Tried reseating keyboard and trackball connections, still didn't work.. have since thrown in a salvaged board and ball from a dead 140 or 180, not sure..

Testing it tonight, will keep you posted!
---

Liberated 68xxx Macs: IIsi, IIci (2), LC II, Classic II (2)

Liberated PowerPC Macs:
Powerbook 5300cs, Power Mac 7500/100

Other:
Color StyleWriter 2400, AppleCD 150 (cd-caddy type!), Apple 12" Monochrome Display, Apple Color Display (13")Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.