Lounge
 Macs held captive!
Author Topic  
wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  10:53:05
oh no!!!!!!!

I work at a university Architecture school. Over the years the school has invested heavily in computing. When these machines are no longer usefull for the school, they get sent to "distribution services" where they eventually get trashed or sold at auctions.

A few weeks ago I was forced to put distribution tags on the following:

4 LCIII
4 Quadra 700
4 PPC 7300
4 Beige G3 (2 towers, 2 desktop)

Plus a slew of cabling, extra drives, cards, etc, etc.

these all work. I snuck up to the room they are being held in, luckily my position comes with a key to that room. I tested them all. Most boot up fine, some w/o extensions.

Because I am an employee of the university i am not elligible for the autions

I guess I just wanted to know where to draw the liberating line. These macs are definately unhappy. And are going to an even more unhappy "concentration camp." Any tampering/removing of stuff from the macs being held captive would mean certain joblessness for me.

If anyone is interested, I can let you know when the auctions will be (usually every 3 months).

I have a problem with vintage electronics. . .I am working on it.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  11:03:52
where is this school? I'm certainly interested! I have a 7300 myself and find it to be a superb machine to work with!

and a G3 would be great for my server project, and everyone loves a Q700 with A/UX

are you in Arizona per chance?

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  11:06:40
That situation sucks! How can they NOT let you bid on auction items? When I was at the university, the auctions were open to everyone. How about recruiting a friend to bid on your behalf?

As to where the "liberation line" lies, I'd stay on the right side of the law and in the good graces of your employer. You will be able to do more good for your Macs if you are gainfully employed than if you are out on the street.

BTW, where are the auctions?

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  11:10:05
that's true G4, we all like having our older macs, but I'm sure that it's nicer to have a job and maybe fewer macs than loads of macs with no job or place to have them.....

/me imagines the house of MacStacks

Official MLA TourGuide
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  11:28:19
The autions are at the University Of Colorado in Boulder. . .Just called the Distribution services and got the lowdown on the technicalities.

I cannot buy stuff from them for PERSONAL use, but the lady said that it is fine if I bring a friend to purchase for me as long as they do not get paid by the university.

Anybody can browse/purchase from the warehouse if you call a day ahead.

I am going to make an appointment for next week. I will report back about my findings.

quote:
As to where the "liberation line" lies, I'd stay on the right side of the law and in the good graces of your employer. You will be able to do more good for your Macs if you are gainfully employed than if you are out on the street.

I totally agree. Lil macs need power and parts and love, most of which comes from me having a job.

I have a problem with vintage electronics. . .I am working on it.Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  11:32:36
by the way. . .all is not lost on this newfound cache. . .

I was allowed my pick of a bunch of cables and a few mac microphones. Picked up some scsi and power cables . . .and hopefully some cables that will allow me to network macs. . .forgot what it is called. . .goes in printer port. Got two types of mics, I think at least one will work on my performa. . .the other one works on a G3.

I have a problem with vintage electronics. . .I am working on it.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  12:52:03
heh... LocalTalk cables and transcievers (if you got the thingies that have phone-lines, that's a PhoneNET adaptor)

great little thingies for networking a bunch of 68k's easier some would think than getting ethernet cards and all that good junk

Official MLA TourGuide

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  17:11:44
Agreed, Cory.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  17:16:33
yeah... I used my IIsi, 840av, and performa 600 (with the SE fdhd trying to get in there also) all at one time...... just needed to get a machine to act more as a bridge or something

Official MLA TourGuide

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  13:54:03
In spite of all of these macs being held captive at the University of Colorado, I keep liberating! Its kind of easy. . .at least it was today. I went "sailing" (garage sailing) on my way to the pool in the next town. Was not looking for anything in particular. . .then at the table marked "free" was a Centris 610! I just got home, plugged in the necessary perifs and it boots up! It has photoshop 2.5.1 on it! Why am I so damn happy!?!?!?

now I just need a kvm switch. . .they make those for mac right?

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  14:40:46
yeah... see... just holding out for good, legitimate deals that won't make you lose your job is just as rewarding!

Official MLA TourGuide

Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  17:34:48
quote:

yeah... see... just holding out for good, legitimate deals that won't make you lose your job is just as rewarding!

from my experience, liberating stuff from school's isn't very rewarding.. maybe it's just my school but the stuff is never in very good condition and half the time it doesn't work.

but hey, even if it doesn't work, it can still look cool!

Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  19:40:33
Liberating a computer from a school is like buying a used car from a rental outfit. You know that it will be beat to shit by multiple people who dont care out it.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  19:51:53
Thats not always true. That 8100 i got from the dumpster here @ university a few months back was, and still is in perfect condition.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  20:14:43
Depends on what it was used for.

Some machines in a college were used for special tasks like grabbing pics from a miscroscope and they dont get used much or beat up.

Then there are the apple II's found in the school system that get beat to hell over many years by little kids and their dirty fingers.

My IIfx came from Perdue University and it controlled some science equipment. besides a sticker and some marking in pen it was in very good condition inside and out (except for dust bunnies in the floppy drive since it was networked nobody used the floppy for a long time)

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  22:11:33
hehehe... universities are generally better with treating equipment good than elementrary schools...

Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  22:44:25
And High Schools. At my High School kids, take out the cdrom trays and steal them, they write all over the front of the PeeCee's with pencil and pen, they steal all the little metalic Pentium stickers off them, and oh yeah shove wrappers and other trash inside every opening that they can see on the computers. Now I'm not that fond of PC's but it is still quite disturbing to see any computer... ah... destroyed like that. Man im glad we dont have macs in my school.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Commander, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  22:51:12
Sounds like what they did back at my school. Thank god that it was mostly with the Ipexes and Compaqs. I did get a little annoyed when i walked into a computer room and saw a whole bunch of new Dell Optiplexen without Dell logos....

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.