68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Balloon Help
 How to get my Macintosh TV running and networked.
Author Topic  
elementforlife
Starting Member

4 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  19:47:47
I'm new to this 68k stuff, but your whole MLA is freakin awesome! I have a question now...i bought this Macintosh TV for 45 dollars, brand new, never been used, mint condition, but i didn't get the box with it .

Well i started it up and booted onto the included system 7.1 cd-rom. problem is it won't recognize the hard drive, so i decided to order a new one, but now that i realize this machine is brand new and has never been used, im not so sure it was the hard drives fault. What could be wrong? I would have bought the 1.2 GB hard drive to replace then 160MB one anyway.

And once i get the machine running how do i network it? i had a friend steal me an rj-45 to serial adapter, will that do the job? All i want it networked for is so i don't have to burn a cd everytime i want to transfer data from the powermac to the macintosh tv.

i know this is a lot ot ask but all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

imacman

53 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  22:48:30
well that serial to rj45 wont work, Id go ahead and snag a few phone net connectors and then put a local talk bridge on one of your ethernet macs. As for the hard drive not recognizing, download hdsc setup 7.2, that should get it going, and as for ssw get 7.5.5 that works really well

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  01:03:30
OMG! A Mint condition MacTV! You are one lucky man...so lucky that you would be silly to have not bought a lotto ticket on the day you got it!!!!!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

elementforlife
Starting Member

4 Posts
Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  10:56:59
actually i got an SCSI to ethernet adapter...i still can't get the hard drive to work...i boot into the 7.1 cd that was included but from there none of the programs recognize that there is an SCSI drive present.

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  20:16:11
Perhaps the hard drive cabling came loose in transit somewhere along the way...try disconnecting and reconnecting the drive?

Do you hear the drive spin and click at startup? Have you tried an external hard drive?

--------------------
master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  23:47:25
maybe if you try it without the scsi ethernet thing plugged in? sometimes there'll be SCSI id conflicts... in which case you can probably just change the ID of the scsi ethernet thingy and you'll be off to the races (or something)

congrats on MacTV! I believe everyone here wants one, or at least the keyboard/mouse

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  10:58:40
I think im a little late comming into this topic, but:

Holy Poop!

[jealousy]A mint one! and for only 45 bucks!!!! JEEEEZ! you got very lucky in such a rare find![/jealousy]

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Number One, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  18:53:25
I KNOW!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

elementforlife
Starting Member

4 Posts
Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  20:25:16
the hard drive is weird: it has a slider thing that screws onto the bottom, and then a connector that goes on the back of the scsi connector part that then slides into the motherboard. nothing is loose everything is right. when i go into apple hd setup and it won't partition it because of an error (this is with my BRAND NEW HARD DRIVE) and so then i run the test on it and it says test failed could not write to hard drive...nothing is plugged in other than the keyboard and mouse...whats wrong?

Go to Top of Page

herman
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2003 :  20:08:21
What is a Macintosh TV? and what is so special about it?

Go to Top of Page

Derekcat

USA
342 Posts
Posted - 20 Aug 2003 :  22:02:32
A Mac TV is an LC 5xx [cant remember exactly…], with a TV tuner [didnt it also have the FM tuner?], but it is all black! *cool blackness*

oh, and I think I could've bought one at the Portland Mac User Group swap meet I didnt get to tell anyone about cause of the **** JET errors [I typed the *'s my self; btw]… I think it was only like 50 or something? They also had a complete NeXT system [and Dev kit!]…

If I open my window all the bugs will get in…That's just one more reason to use a Mac!
Mac Portable
LC ||
LC |||
SE/30
||si
||ci
Quadras: 660av, 950
PMs: 6100/G3/233, 6214CD, 5400/120, 7100/80av, 9500/G3/300
PB 5300ce
SuperMac C600 180, 240Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2003 :  11:01:22
Again, I wish I lived either where I was in Sherwood (near portland), Oregon, or Renton, (Near Seattle), Washington...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
Editor of the MLAgazine
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.