All Forums
 Lounge
 My New DVD Player
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  19:11:14
Yep, got it today. It was on sale for 69.99, so I got it with a 2 year extended warranty. So I got a DVD that in total came to 102.00 and has 3 years of warranty.

I purchased the extra warranty so my money is well spent, since it's a cheap DVD player, I want to make sure if the bugger decides to die early that I am covered.

That solves my problem of DVD on the new 8600, which has an AV port, so I can just plug this baby in and have DVD. The cool thing about it is that because it's hardware DVD, it won't drain power from the system, and this DVD player supports MP3 as well, so if I want to burn MP3 discs, I won't worry about them taking up CPU resources, so I can do other work and have the full power of the machine working for me.

I am going to look up about Drawin and see if it will run on the machine and still let me use the AV ports. I really want to use Darwin and setup Gnome, but not if it will mean no AV ports.

We'll see.

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  19:46:10
You know...you could just hook the player up to your TV...

--------------------
master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  20:00:52
Yeah, but it's not as fun! Plus, he has an AppleVision 1710.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  20:01:00
Extended warrenties are a complete ripoff and wont cover anything. Also take into account the cheap dvd you got today for $69.99 will cost $39 in 2 years and will have more features. Its better to take your chances on electronics and skip extended plans. Out of the dozen things you buy if 1 break and needs replaced your still ahead in money by NOT buying the warrenty.

Just mention to the sales guy pushing the warrenty (they have quota's) that why would you need it unless the product they sell is a problematic piece of shit. Most of the stuff they tell you about the warrent is completely made up ( camcorders get free adjustmenst, if you drop it you get a new one etc) just to get you to buy the extended plan (which they get a nice cut for, and like I said they have a quota to fill).

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  20:45:54
there's older versions of darwin that'll run on your machine, in addition you're on the compatibility list for Rhapsody DR2 YAAY...

but with MacOSX, darwin, or rhapsody of ANY sort you are VERY unlikely to be able to use the AV input OR output...

I know that MacOSX doesn't support the AV of any beige machine at all... and rhapsody probably doesn't...

darwin, BTW, doesn't even come with a graphic interface... you have to get one of those yourself....

[end bit about darwin & OSs]
[start bit about DVD players]

cool! I've seen dvd players for about that cheap in the U.S. one of the things I like about my TiBook though! is that it has widescreen and DVD playing

anyway... another thing I've been seeing is this crazy 9" color TV with a DVD player built in... coolness! 9" TV WITH STEREO!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  22:05:27
Heres a trick to hook it up to your computer. Use an old ADB cable for SVideo if you dont have any Svideo cables. we were hooking one up to my mac once and realized that we didnt have any svid cables and so we tried an ADB one and suprise suprise it worked.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  22:51:04
yeah... I haven't done exactly that before, but I have used an svideo cable with one of my macs as a keyboard cable once... you'll note that svideo cables are MUCH longer than ADB cables, yet are just as good... GREAT if you need to sit kind of far back from your mac... maybe if you've got a TV as your monitor or need to do a presentation

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  03:41:50
About the S-Video cables, yeah. I've noticed that too, Cory. Damn handy when you want to play F/A-18 Hornet on your TV, yet you still want to control the thing without sitting right in front of the TV.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  06:35:34
Extended warranty is fine with me, I want it to last. You have to be persistant with companies but you get through. My dad had insurance with one company and finally they did issue him a good size cheque when his USB burner died.

So, no big deal yet. I just don't want to keep spending money every year for a new DVD player...100 bucks and 3 years of service, keeps me good.

:)

Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  10:58:06
quote:

Extended warranty is fine with me, I want it to last. You have to be persistant with companies but you get through. My dad had insurance with one company and finally they did issue him a good size cheque when his USB burner died.

So, no big deal yet. I just don't want to keep spending money every year for a new DVD player...100 bucks and 3 years of service, keeps me good.

:)

Hey its your money (or was untill you gave it away)

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  15:24:02
Important thing is that it works and I won't be without those DVD's. And now that I have it, I gotta go buy the last DVD for Stargate SG-1 Season 1 so I have at least 1 Season Complete. :)

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.