Lounge
 Worst conditions...
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  09:39:46
Aaaaaand tonight's dana-topic to keep us all nattering away...

What's the worst condition you've seen an older mac in, but have it still working? As damaged as it gets but still doing it's thing and 68k'ing like it was brand new... cept doesn't quite look it? Perhaps even worse, where not everything does work - but it turns on anyway and is somewhat usable?

I'll start off with mine...

Skye, my 540c. Typically 5xx have this little bit of plastic under the screen that doesn't stay put - Skye has this problem :D. Occasionally it also drags the screen connector out too, which stops everything working, but a press gets her going again. One battery is missing a clip, there are cracks in every corner of her case, and one foot is snapped in two, held together by the rubber on it. If she's not moved she runs byooootifully :D

My IIcx was the worst! I bought it cos I didn't have one of that shape, and it was $2 with a 14" monitor - can't go wrong there :D. Inside was silt and leaves (some kind of flood damage it seems) and mice had setup house. everything was ripped to pieces and THOROUGHLY washed in the kitchen sink with dishwashing detergent then blowdried with a hairdryer... and it all works! fully!. The aluminium outside of the hard drive is corroded with lots of white stuff, but it's been oiled so none of it drops on the motherboard :D.

One of the Q605's and the monitor it came with were nearly black with what looked like soot - but I think it was rubber dust. Perhaps it'd lived out near a tyre workshop or something. Ugh. Those cases needed to be taken off, soaked a long time and scrubbed over and over to get all the little particles off. Inside the Quadra itself was a fan nearly choked with the same black dust, and a cpu with little flufflets of the same stuff all over :D.

My one and only portrait display hatched spiders all over the desk a few days after I got it!.

My II and IIx were both DOA... and are so rusted out it looks like they've been sitting in water for months. Parts of the metal shielding inside have near been eaten through!. There's no water damage, so it seems they may have just been in an acidic or humid spot somewhere. perhaps a lab...

My first mac, the 8100 - had water marks on the motherboard, a loose internal scsi terminator and wouldn't boot. when that was cleaned off it started, and served me well for 9 months as a main machine, and as a fileserver now.

all the others came a little grubby with the usual grime, finger marks, stickers with auction lot numbers written on them & so on.

There. ever wanted proof I get a lil bored at 3:30am?

dana

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  10:10:02

Well, it's not a Mac, but since Apple IIs are mentioned on the forums, I think it's appropriate...

My former band teacher smoked and drank. He also was an Apple user. (I know, how much cooler can the guy get?) He had a beige //e in his office that was missing the cover, and had 2 Apple Disk ][ drives that were missing their housings. The inside of the machine was full of dust and cigarette ash. However, as soon as I found the monitor (gotta love the black/green monitors!) plugged everything in, it fired up! I played around with AppleSoft BASIC, etc. It worked just fine.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  10:13:33
quote:

My former band teacher smoked and drank. He also was an Apple user. (I know, how much cooler can the guy get?) He had a beige //e in his office that was missing the cover, and had 2 Apple Disk ][ drives that were missing their housings. The inside of the machine was full of dust and cigarette ash.

ooah. one rescued from an overheating death some day perhaps? :D. Not only does smoking add to the general dustiness but the stuff is -sticky-. sticky puter innards and dust aren't good...

dana

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  14:20:35
My brother had a Duo 210 that he had had for several years when a friend of his dropped a tomahawk on it and busted the backlight. He gave it to some other friend of his to fix, and the guy not only failed to fix the backlight, he broke the hard drive and busted about 98 percent of the little plastic tabs that hold the case together. When he gave it to me there were little globs of hot glue squished out of all the cracks around the screen from where it had been glued back together becuse all the tabs were broken. The rubber stuff that held the contacts on the screen together had failed, a large plastic clamp orignally intended to hold shut bags of chips had to remain clamped over the left side of the screen at all times to mantain electrical contact. The hard disk was busted at such a low level that it would lock up the entire machine when it spun up, preventing it from being booted off of a floppy. So the first time I booted it it had no backlight, no case on the lower clamshell, no hard disk, a big plastic clamp covering up part of the screen, and gobs of hot glue coming out of the cracks.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2002 :  23:29:05
Well, it's not as bad as some of these other posts, but I once saw a guy carry and SE home on the bus, and the case had a huge chunk missing so the CRT was bare...

And my Quadra 950 had all the RAM in the wrong spots!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  01:16:52
quote:

And my Quadra 950 had all the RAM in the wrong spots!

*blink*!. tell us more!

When I opened my 950 (in the car straight after picking it up!) the PPC board was laying on the bottom of the case, and the scsi card was kind of half-out and nearly the same.

People are meanies to our beloveds...

dana

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  16:06:08
Well, one of the guys i used to know had a Colour Classic. Stock condition, only 4 megs of ram and a 40 meg hard drive, but it did what it needed to do, and had a StyleWriter II. This guy, however, was a PC user, and hated the poor little CC. So when it didn't perform to his expectations, he would beat it up, and occasionally the screen would go green or orange. Later on that year, the CRT went, and its now waiting to be smashed.

Would have loved to have bought it and given it a really nice environment in my home, but not only was his asking price waaaaay too high, but it would have exceeded the PAF factor by far!!!! I pity the poor thing...

Rest in peace, fellow ColourClassic

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  16:08:12
My CC is in bad shape, too. It has the nsame of some school scrawled in the top of the case using some sort of hot tool, along with years of yellowing, scratches and various blemishes all over it. I just hope to find the time/money to make it an equally valid member of my team!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  16:17:14
quote:

Aaaaaand tonight's dana-topic to keep us all nattering away...

Aaaaaand we miss the museling of the 68kMLA! hey maniac! come out come out wherever you are! We need a new topic, you've been reticent in postings for too long!

Back on topic: Yesterday I liberated the UGLIEST, Filthiest, most disgusting box imagineable, i don't wanna think what somebody splashed, sprayed, spilled and or scraped off their boots into the crevices of this IIfx/20/325 nightmare, but at least it doesn't SMELL like doggie doo and it boots right up!

jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2002 :  17:09:49
quote:

liberated the UGLIEST, Filthiest, most disgusting box imagineable, i don't wanna think what somebody splashed, sprayed, spilled and or scraped off their boots into the crevices of this IIfx/20/325 nightmare, but at least it doesn't SMELL like doggie doo and it boots right up!

eeeeee bring out the oxygen bleach! soak anything soakable!.

did I mention the 6300 that came from my niece, which had mould growing in the corner of the -monitor- glass... had more mould on it!. it's clean now though. kind of. except for the knife-marks where she (or someone) has used a knife or fork to press the volume buttons... consistently...

dana (not musing cos I've been somewhat sleeping :D

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  05:59:26
quote:

*blink*!. tell us more!

... I got pretty far... and I do have a car... ooo-ah-ah ba-doo-ah-ah...

Sorry.

Anyway, there was a Maxtor 40 meg HD in anti-static wrap inside of it, just sitting there, and nothing else!!!
But I put that 24si video card in there, I just won another video card off eBay so I'll be able to do Panorama in Hornet.

But wait: there's three more cards on eBay! 5 monitor setup, anyone?
I don't even have that many monitors!

00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  06:14:18
Well, it turns out bigsadhu already has winning bids on all the video cards, there's about 6 all up!!!

ANyone know anything about this item? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2010417803

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  07:19:18
I know someone with a 6100 that has rust on all the port connectors. And he is still using it.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2002 :  07:22:43
Ahh, what's a little corrosion between pins???

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.