All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Pushing the Limits of PSUs?
Author Topic  
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  13:52:07
Anybody have experience with pushing the limits of PSUs?

I just got a IIcx and the PSU label claims it can handle 12A @ +5V, 1.0A @ -12V, and 1.5 A @ +12V. I would like to install a Supermac Spectrum/24 PDQ+ video board that claims to pull 2.5A @ 5V & a whopping 2.0A @ 12V. Since the HD also pulls maybe 0.3 to 0.5A on the 12V line, I expect that I am about 0.8 to 1.0 A over the limit on the 12V line (about 10-12 watts). But I'd bet that I am under on both the 5 V line and the -12 V line. Also, I'd bet that the Supermac video card does not always draw the full 2A@12V and the PSU can probably deliver more than the rated power.

Yet I would really hate to let out the magic smoke. It may only be a $2 garage sale IIcx, but it is a Mac and I'd like it to survive and be useful. I'm just wondering how carefully everyone analyzes the power consumption budget on computers and the margins for exceeding the power limits on one voltage line by 10 or so watts.

TIA,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  14:21:18
My IIsi can handle THREE hard drives, and still the floppy drive... I haven't taken the time to run the numbers... and since it's packed I can't... but the last HDD was a thingy where it got it's power from the floppy port...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  16:44:32
You know, G4, i've often wondered the same thing.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  17:13:03
I've read the tech notes for all the Macs that I bought new. And they always describe the capacity of the PSU and admonish staying within the limits. But they never say how to calculate the power consumption of the mobo or floppy or Apple video card. Very frustrating.

That Cory's IIsi can handle 3 HDs and the floppy suggests that its PSU has more omph than might be expected. Either that or the IIsi's PSU will soon turn into an SSU (Smoke Supply Unit) .

Hmmm.. I wonder if the amperage capacity ratings that are on the label of the PSU (or in the tech notes) are the available capacities. Thus, I don't have to worry about power consumption by the factory-default electronics like the mobo, HD, and floppy. I notice that PSU label suggests that the total power available in the IIcx is only 90 watts, but that Apple Spec claims the IIcx consumes159 watts power. Even with PSU inefficiency factored in, there is maybe a 40-50 watt discrepancy between power in and power available from the PSU.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  17:33:36
Lol, very nice idea about Cory's SSU. But yeah, i've always thoguht that not publishing the power consumption of items such asd the mobo, video card and floppy does get annoying at times. Then you can't see how much power you're currently pulling.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

tachyon
Starting Member

Australia
29 Posts
Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  20:53:08
Surely someone somewhere has the original packaging, and system requirements. It may say "7100 or later" or something like that.

Also, depending on the power supply, overloading them does not necessarily kill them. Sometimes they put out as many amps as they can, but the devices attached don't get enough juice so they do not work properly. Try stuff at your own risk!

~~
Master 68k liberator. Too many to list. Retained collection includes SE, Classic, Classic II, IIsi (w/NetBSD) IIvx, LC, LCIII, LC475, Quadra950 (with PPC card) PB145,PB520,PB190, and many contraband Powermacs.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.