All Forums
 Lounge
 68k Digital Hub
Author Topic  
TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  23:24:07
From the person that brought you the LC toaster and "SuperMac" I like to introduce you do the 68k Digital Hub. Apple today has a Digital Hub that involves the new LCD iMacs, PDAs, Digital cameras, DV camcorders, and more. This can alll be done on a 68k in out ways. There now I am working on the project named "68k Digital Hub" This setup conists of a Quadra 610 as the center or your digital life, and my PowerBook 520 the model unit for the Digital Hub. Let me break all it down for you, the PDA would be the Newton, DV Camera my Old 70s Camcorder, Digital camer a Apple Quicktake 200 camera, MP3 machine im still working on, ADSL connection for networking, media burner with a CD rewriter SCSI. This is like a plan to buy all these things and beef up my macs. It thought id also make like www.68kdigitalhub.lv or something close with the same graph that Apple uses but different components and macs. Ok few this is going to work pretty soon.

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napoleon

Covert Ops
Creator of the 68k Digital Hub
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:16

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  10:11:29

I say if we want a real digital hub, say hello to X-10 devices! Control those from an SE/30!

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  11:17:21
[quote]

I say if we want a real digital hub, say hello to X-10 devices! Control those from an SE/30!

My whole shop is "wired" with X-10, dust collector, central shopvac, vacuum table, exhaust fans, compressor, even my laserwriter IInt, because the switch is buried. Tell me what you know of the software/interface requirements for a 68k working in conjunction with dialup remote control. I've done some non-X-10 remote control/video monitoring (Q630's @ ea.end!) of production equipment with Timbuktu & a PowerKey Pro, but haven't looked into interfacing with X-10 yet. I haven't even cracked the manual for my programmablecontrol center-timer. Turning on the A/C from my cell phone before I get to the shop has been a back-burner project for about three years.

jt

p.s. Has anybody ever played with ADB/I/O, I always wanted to try that one, what a TOY! =8-}

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  11:25:59
quote:

My whole shop is "wired" with X-10, dust collector, central shopvac, vacuum table, exhaust fans, compressor, even my laserwriter IInt, because the switch is buried. Tell me what you know of the software/interface requirements for a 68k working in conjunction with dialup remote control.

Now this is drifting a bit away from consumer digital hub to hackygeekydigital hub - which is good good good :D. Trash, I'm sure you'd be as likely to know as anyone... are there any useful tools for programming parallax/pic boards from a mac... say a quadra... 605... cos they're cute with the feet and all

dana (obsessed)

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  12:29:42
quote:

quote:

I've done some non-X-10 remote control/video monitoring (Q630's @ ea.end!) of production equipment with Timbuktu & a PowerKey Pro, but haven't looked into interfacing with X-10 yet.

Now this is drifting a bit away from consumer digital hub to hackygeekydigital hub - which is good good good :D.

*editing in the relevant section* Pushing a pair of Consumer Entertainment Center 68k's networked over POTS to the limit seems pretty much on topic to me, that it's getting geekier by the second is.....
quote:

Trash, I'm sure you'd be as likely to know as anyone... are there any useful tools for programming parallax/pic boards from a mac...

Dunno, my inclination would be to hit myself with my framing hammer before attempting any such thing (MUCH better toybox at Darth's house, IMNAQHEO), but I'd check out the LunaticLinux sites if the hammer failed to stop me.
quote:

....say a quadra... 605... cos they're cute with the feet and all

dana (obsessed)

Obviously, *....WITH FEET!......wonder if she's knitted a coupla'pairs a' those funky sneaker-lookin'...silly sock-booties for the freakin' 605 yet?* I figured I had you pegged right as a maniac!
jt (man of moderation;-) *more obsessed.....AND WARPED! bwaaahaaahaaaahaaha!*

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  23:49:20
wouldn't a 630 be move digital-hub-like seeing has how you can import/export to/from any A/V (red-white-yellow) device (via Video System) and watch TV (via TV tuner)

(how were you going to import video from a Quadra 610 - those don't have A/V or s-video...)

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2002 :  03:40:10
Nice idea TiMacLover, but i got a better one.

My setup revolves around an almost fully decked out LC630. This machine has 36 megs of ram, a 6 gig hard drive for storing all that video and music, a 4x CD ROM for putting all those tunes on there, and a video system to import video from my VCR. This system would be (is) running Mac OS 8.1. The PDA would be a PowerBook Duo 210, running System 7.1. The DV and digital still camera is a Grayscale QuickCam, set up and working on both Macs. The 630 would be able to play MP3s through the use of MpegDec (a great app, btw), and the internet connection would be a 96k ISDN. I already have most of the stuff, but i am yet to get the Duo. Whaddaya think of my hub?

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2002 :  23:21:39
You should put a Newton there too, running from AppleTalk or Serial.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  00:52:02
quote:

You should put a Newton there too, running from AppleTalk or Serial.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.

Well as nice as a Newt would be, i don't have a source for one, whereas i have a source for the Duo. And besides, i'd say a Duo 210 running System 7.1 would make a decent pda wouldn't it?

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.