Lounge
 NetGear Is Going Down
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  07:44:44
I have had enough of NetgGear's crap.

Over 5 hours listening to repetive music, over a week to wait for them to call me back to arrange an RMA, after they said in 30 minutes I would get a callback. I called them a few days later and they said in 5 miuntes they would call back.

Now this is the third time, (fourth to be precise, I had to hang up last time cause my folks needed the phone) and I am no longer interested in a RMA, I want my money back. I don't want thier product. Can I burn or smash it on National TV?

Anyways, If this doesn't work, I am calling Netgear headquarters and filing a complaint aginst thier support division. And requesting an immediate refund.

They just lost a customer. Since I do computer work and repair, I can now recoomend against Netgear products, thier support is useless. I think this product they have is gonna kill them, it's the buggiest around.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  17:31:12
Bastards. I hpoe you get your money back.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  18:31:45
If that doesn't work, call the attourney general.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  18:46:57
Thankfully I have a credit with UPS, enough so I can send the router back at no cost to me, so I'm glad. But if they fail to get a new one back to me that works, I will bill them for the shipping costs.

All together, if the new one fails, a product which I purchased for 79 CDN will have cost me over 3 weeks in downtime, over 100 dollars in expenses....not worth it.

This is thier failed attempt at taking a swipe at the consumer market. Best leave consumers to D-Link, they are better.

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  20:23:06
Indeed, netgear should stay in the bracket they are in. They are not large enought o put enough R&D into the different styles consumers need and the PR and support and such.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  21:46:39
The RP614 Router if you look all over the net people are upset at it and pissed off. Because the darn things don't work.

So, in retrospect, I should not have gotten something from FutureShop with a mail in rebate. Oh well. This gives me a chance to give them hell.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  22:13:46
a word of the wise... if you keep having problems with a company... don't keep trying to fix it with them... if you say you've had enough... don't just magically raise your tolerance level...

it looks like you're going to let netgear try to send you ANOTHER router...

bad move.

if you would rather get a D-Link router... or move to a better class of router overall... do that... don't waste your time and funds with lemon after lemon of the same kind of router...

it really does bug me when someone talkes to me about iBooks....
well I got an iBook 4 years ago... and I'm onmy 5th one... apple keeps needing to send me new ones and now I hate iBooks, and apple because of it... but I'm not smart enough to just stop the loop...

basically stuff like that (any similarity to my described situation was not intended to look the same as someone real)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  22:19:12
What I would suggest doing is picking up a used Cisco 2500 series router. Or some other enterprise class router. It will be harder to configure than a typical Cable/DSL router, but you can do a lot more stuff. Plus they are tuff as nails and have a Cisco router is cooler than a Netgear router.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  22:28:22
yeah... seen those ones in dell catalogs...

it'd probably be perfect for the importance you describe your work and stuff being...

Official MLA TourGuide
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  22:33:42
quote:
Plus they are tuff as nails and have a Cisco router is cooler than a Netgear router.

Definately. Cisco is way cool.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  22:47:26
even the name is cool..

"netgear" sopunds like a 'consumer' company

Official MLA TourGuide

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  22:54:50
I have a linksys wireless router its given me no troubles at all, very easy to configure from your web browser (!)

it does ethernet, too... my iMac is hooked in via ethernet and the win32 box is via a WLAN. Its great! site nicely on top of the dsl modem, too...

Manager, the llama-X project.
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  23:04:55
yeah... I have an SMC router... I can't for the life of me get it working per the manual that came with it... I'm almost certain that it was not the move, or me that borked it... we got it in oregon and used it when we had DSL there... it didn't work AT ALL...

of course... soemthing about verizon having some special hardware or something....

Official MLA TourGuide

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  23:48:30
quote:

even the name is cool..

"netgear" sopunds like a 'consumer' company

Official MLA TourGuide
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.

Definately. Cisco has that unique and cool ring to it.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  03:01:38
Cisco recently had a huge security leak. But they are better than Netgear.

Basically this is the second product they are going to send. And that's fine I will give them one chance, and if it still does not work, I will escalate the problem. See, I am willing to give them one chance. Only one.

If it doesn't work, they will get a letter in the mail with full details on how a refund can be issued, and what costs I am claiming because of thier incompetence. Costs of shipping, costs of downtime, these must be factored in, and in any court of law (per reference) these facts are always considered when sums are calculated becuase that is what is ethically fair and within the business world demanded.

I'm not going to play high and mighty, but I don't have alot of money, I get $745.00 per month from the goverment because currently I am on disability, and this money has to go a long way, even though I stay at my parents to cut on costs (plus to look after them cause they have health problems) I still am not mad eof money, so each month I have about oh say 200 dollars I can have as free spending money, which usually is extra food stuff like that, so the odd big purchase I make is something I try and do with a sense of discernment. So I am not going to allow netgear to do this lots of times. One product replacement, and if that gives me as much issues as the last one it's already 3 strikes for them.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  05:02:01
Good idea.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  21:01:25
heh... yeah that is a good idea...

You did mention using your 840av as a router... that might be less expensive than the cisco... *if* you can't get the netgear and whatever...

Official MLA TourGuide

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  21:39:39
I'm selling the 840AV.

I'll use the 8600 to give my father's machine internet.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  21:54:18
wow.... selling your black hammer?

/me faitns...

it's amazing to see what us MLAers will resort to in order to get things working

Official MLA TourGuide

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  00:21:12
That's if it sells per say. If it doesn't I will still have it. I have a feeling it won't sell. Who knows.

I'd trade it for something but I'm afraid shipping costs for the 840 are quite high since it's a very heavy machine.

When it's all done, having just the one 8600 will do for me. My room isn't big so I don't have room yet for the large machines I now have.

Plus to really get a good experience out of the 840Av I need to really have a second monitor hooked up to it. No room for that. And a switch costs too much. I juggle what machines I have on one desk, which is a trick in itself, and at times can lead to parts falling on the floor and making a mess.

I first fell in love with the 8600 when I was at a Kinko's store once and I was using the Macs there, and they had a 8600 (or was it a 9600) anyways it was the the same case design and the system was smooth as anything. I really like that smooth sexy tower.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  02:55:40
Why do you need a second monitor to take the full advantage of your 840AV? One can do it for me, but 2 is always better.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  04:03:53
I can use remote control, but some applications don't do well under remote since they are fullscreen video etc. Also, doing certian updates requires every application to shutdown, and that kills the remote session.

I could get a switch, but the kind that are safe to use cost alot. (The older manual switches are cheap but they can damage monitors.)

Now on the other hand, if I got ahold of an old LCD screen from some other device and patched it in to the mac, it would be small enough to put on my wall or something and be really cool. Maybe if I got an old laptop LCD that they sell as replacements, find it's power requirements and pin arrangements and patch it in. That would be one cool hack! Then my problem is solved.

eBay always has cool stuff like this. I'm gonna post in the hacks area and see what advise folks can give.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  04:40:53
Like i said, you'll never get an LCD to work on your 840AV without about $300 worth of parts.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  05:28:35
Now my dreams feel smashed like the broken glass on those poor LCD's.

But maybe I will find a solution. If I keep it I will for sure look into it further, as I can't get it out of my head.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  12:19:59
Apple Studio Display REV. A.

It's cool looking, it'll work with your quadra and it'll mount on your wall!

I've always wanted to mount a screen for a computer to my wall!

why do you need 2 monitors for your quadra?

the real quadra experience is an apple monitor, a good keyboard and some ROCKING speakers... i have/had an AudioVision 14" that's an apple monitor with rocking speakers!

Official MLA TourGuide

Tizio
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  15:28:23
quote:

I have had enough of NetgGear's crap.

Over 5 hours listening to repetive music, over a week to wait for them to call me back to arrange an RMA, after they said in 30 minutes I would get a callback. I called them a few days later and they said in 5 miuntes they would call back.

Now this is the third time, (fourth to be precise, I had to hang up last time cause my folks needed the phone) and I am no longer interested in a RMA, I want my money back. I don't want thier product. Can I burn or smash it on National TV?

Anyways, If this doesn't work, I am calling Netgear headquarters and filing a complaint aginst thier support division. And requesting an immediate refund.

They just lost a customer. Since I do computer work and repair, I can now recoomend against Netgear products, thier support is useless. I think this product they have is gonna kill them, it's the buggiest around.

Hey this is similar to my Apple fiasco... ;)

rm -fr /bin/ladenGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  15:45:59
yeah... we all know that macs hate you eh?

it really is sad how some people will keep pursuing the same thing forever... I'm not talking about things like how I still put up with school, or how I'm STILL trying to do my server project... I'm talking about how some people will put up with some companies crap forever... and not simply break out of the loop... that's just my opinion... I have lots of them and you shouldn't listen to alot of them anyway...

Official MLA TourGuide

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  16:38:53
quote:

Apple Studio Display REV. A.

It's cool looking, it'll work with your quadra and it'll mount on your wall!

I've always wanted to mount a screen for a computer to my wall!

why do you need 2 monitors for your quadra?

the real quadra experience is an apple monitor, a good keyboard and some ROCKING speakers... i have/had an AudioVision 14" that's an apple monitor with rocking speakers!

Official MLA TourGuide
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.

Yeah! I dunno why i didn't mention that earlier! Btw, Tizio, I thought the same thing, somehow.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  16:51:58
deep in our hearts... we ALL thought about an apple fiasco

Official MLA TourGuide

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  16:54:54
Yes. Now lets put this behind us before any flame wars break out.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  18:57:01
Cory, I only need one display for the mac, because my main display isn't on the 840, right now the 840 runs headless. The display is on the main PC, and when that goes and the 8600 arrives, it will be there. So, I am buying a Spiggot AV card for the 840 and so I'm gonna see what I can do for screens cause I need another one because doing AV with remote control just plain sucks!

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.