All Forums
 Lounge
 How Do You Feel About Leeches?
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  06:40:31
I'm not talking insects, I'm talking people.

This is partly a rant because I enjoy from time to time opening up my machines to offer software to folks, and to get stuff out there that I know people are looking for.

But what really gets me is that people are just leeches, they come they suck whatever they want, and they don't have the decency to give anything or even as much as say "thanks".

Like, I realize some might be busy and stuff, etc., etc., we have heard the story before, but how many here who ahve iether started servers to offer folks stuff just quit because you were so anoyed at how people just took?

Like for example, the increasing number of people here at the MLA who sign up to ask for ROMS or for old software, and if they get or don't get it you never hear about them again. They never post again.

Things like this really make me feel like unplugging the servers I do run and just saying "if you folks can't be decent enough to drop me a small line saying thanks or maybe upload something (when i did have that option) then forget it, I have better things to do."

So for me, it's almost to that point where I will only offer my stuff to folks I know, to members here who I know appreciate what I'm doing, people who aren't gonna leech.

What are your thoughts?

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  07:10:02
I know what you mean, BoJ. I'm currently on the campus LAN, and although i do copy a lot of stuff to my HD, i always have a lot of MP3s and stuff up for grabs if someone wants it. I'll also host stuff for people if they want while their machine is down. But yes, i don't like people who leach off all us other people and have nothing to share. It ain't fair, and it makes me want to stop sharing.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  07:22:24
I think when my other machine arrives I will pull the plug on the server and offer stuff only to those who participate on the forums and community folks.

I don't mind the odd e-mail, and those who are gratefull, as I have had a few e-mails and people were very polite and thankfull and even helped me out, so these folks are golden users, but the rest it seems are somewhere inbetween. (I think I spelled that wrong but my eyes are tired so i'm leaving it that way. )

So, if you want to be nice, thank me for what you get, then you are wlecome to have fun. If not, your not invited to the part.

Go to Top of Page

alphamatrix

USA
60 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  09:35:08
I used to run a carracho server, Communication of Knowledge for those who use carracho. It was mainly a book/texts/manual server, and we got uploads, but theres always a user that gonna try to folder downlaod you whole server, thats annoying, then you find you whole collection on some other server. Now this is carracho and its all about file sharing, but I like it when servers offer unique and interesting stuff not just something folder downloaded from another.
Leeches come in two breeds, the newbies tht have nothing and the punks that never upload or say thanks.

Classic, LC, LC II, LCIII, Q605, Mac IIsi, Mac IIci, Duo 230, Duo 250, Duo Dock II.Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  18:04:04
ya, I had a severe problem with leeches when the MLA hotline servers were listed on a tracker...that was a BIG mistake. 20 users leeching at one time...I think my record was like 2000-some downloads and only 20 uploads

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  18:37:00
With FTP, you can set up ratio accounts to counteract this. That way, people have to upload before they can download.

I think that some people fail to realize that there's another person on the other end who is providing use of their files.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  18:50:06
When my new mac arrives and I sell the other ones and get things sorted out, I am shutting down the server and doing things by request only.

I've had enough of these people. If you are new and have nothing, at least you can e-mail saying thank you. If your a lazy no good leech, then you can just get lost.

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  19:40:57
I am a leech.

I download what I need then get the hell out. Maybe if I wasn't on a 56k, things would be different...

I have, though, significantly contributed to the official 68k MLA Hotline Server with both software and service manuals...

--------------------
master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  19:56:24
quote:
I think that some people fail to realize that there's another person on the other end who is providing use of their files.

BANDWIDTH

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  20:08:24
I think that if you have something useful (and preferably no longer in print) that's not on a server, you should upload it if you can. If you don't have anything, you should at least leave a message in the guestbook thanking the admins for their server. It's ridiculous to ask for everyone who downloads anything to upload, though. Some people (like me) are on dialup and don't have enough bandwidth, and some people (also like me) don't have a hard drive full to the brim of pirated software to share.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  20:23:31
Agreed.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  21:20:42
yeah... I have some pretty cool and unique stuff that I'd be happy to upload if I were able too....other than that... my needs for software i can't afford mostly outweigh the software I have for uploading....

if BeOS is still needed, I have that but need to know how to ISO the whole thing... and I have "Apple Student Resource Set"

I'd just need to get broadband or be allowed online more often... or something...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  21:41:19
Yeah but firewire your thankfull for what you get and not rude..(from what I can tell) which is a big difference from folks who leave thos damn annoying download bots running that suck your bandwidth and refuse messages.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  22:18:17
download bots?

I've never heard, or used one of those...

well... I guess I'm not a 'leech' then? if I had faster internet I'd be running my own server anyway....

Official MLA TourGuide
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 19 Jul 2003 :  23:18:50
I used to run a HL server back in the day, and because of the near unlimited bandwidth, I left it open for a time for leeches. Why? Because in most cases, I am a leech on other servers.

On average during that time, I had about 40 users on leeching files (mostly 2 at a time), a few members, and a few mods. If things became too slow for the members, I started kicking leeches. It was fun to kick those rude ones...

Once I filled up my 30GB drive, I closed the system out to members only, and if you upload something of value, you get an account. To ease some of the space problems, I got a 60GB drive, and then went on vacation for 2 weeks.

Within a 2 week time span, I filled a 60GB drive with uploads. I had about 100 members at that point, so I had to close that method of accounts. I changed over to a $10 "donation" system, and again reopened.

Between the months of February and May, I ended up getting about 75GB of uploads, $500 in donations, and almost got caught by the campus ITS department. (I had inside help before I got caught).

So my view on leeches (I guess) is: share the wealth if you can, but remember to show them who's boss.

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

31 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  01:09:46
Thankfully there are few parties who could sucsessfully fight a legal battle against me for many of the items I offer, since they are so out of date and that these companies have stopped supporting Macintosh 68K long ago.

Apple doesn't have any benefit from stopping Rhapsody from being leaked out. It's a done deal, with lots of companies no longer being in business.

Although I heard recently that the C64 rights are still owned by a company, so do be carefull with those, they are trying to stomp down and get proper licenses.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  04:38:56
Only problem with Rhapsody is that we all know about how much Apple likes having those sort of secrets available on the internet for free download. But yeah, thanks for the warning about the C64!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  21:28:26
I think that since we are such a small group and the age of stuff that we are working with. We don’t have to worry too much about the legal eagles. If they even do anything it would just be a cist and deist letter. Those are no big deal, I have gotten them before. Just stop and they go away. If they were really going to sue they would not have given you a chance to cover your tracks.

--Eric

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  21:32:40
yeah... if I could run a server, I definitely would... but I probably woudln't put it on a tracker or give the address to anyone but the friendly people here

Official MLA TourGuide

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  21:38:30
Just don't post it here for all to see, sadly google indexes these forums every so often.

So you get people who ran a google search and come here to leech.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  21:43:20
yeah... I'll have to publish the address in the MLAgazine or something...

Maybe that's a good idea... MLAagzine is almost done and if the only way to find out the address is by looking in the MLAgazine... or over AIM then we'll have alot less leeching... and if there IS leeching... then we'll at least know that they are trying really hard and putting effort into getting it...

Official MLA TourGuide

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  22:45:56
But won't the MLAgazine be available on the WWW somewhere for free download? Or do we have to request it? Because if it's just sitting there, available for free download, anyone can grab a copy and get access to our "members only" server.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  00:13:22
I'm going to find a way to have stuff online on a temp basis, like tell someone here is your temp. username/pass for the server and it expires in like 3 days etc.

Or folks can just order DVD/CD's of the archive in thier completeness.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  02:50:53
Good idea, BoJ.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  04:05:41
I know some online sites that offer pay access have a system setup where after jumping through some hoops an automated system rigs a temp password for you and then it expires. I will talk to my web guru and see what he says.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  05:41:57
Interesting. That'd be sort of hard to implement though.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  05:59:43
It all biols down to a machine that can be online 24x7 and sadly with my work load increasing for my company, it seems that that's not likely.

Always something goes bad. But, maybe I can work something out, like a certian day of the week where it can be up. When I know I don't use the machine.

Go to Top of Page

mattl
Starting Member

2 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  06:13:12
Hi folks,

I'm new around here, after finding this place in my search for copies of Rhapsody for PPC and Intel... I'm not here looking particularly to leech stuff, I'm willing to share stuff once I have it...

I think the temporary username/password system works well, though in my experience, there will always be people who never want to actually share stuff..

mattl

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  09:07:05
yeah... my problem is that while I have stuff I certainly want to share... I can't ship stuff out via the mail (PAF problems) and my internet is too slow for most downloads and uploads...

for example... I have Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 workstation BETA TWO!!

I also have Apple Student Resource Set, and a 'copy' of Hypercard 2.3.5

among other things...

if I had fast internet and a server computer (anyone with a B/W G3 they want to sell...) I'd be running an FTP and/or hotline server anyway...

Official MLA TourGuide

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  16:25:34
Apple Student Resource set...whats that? Something to do with AppleCare Technician Training?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  00:40:33
Cory, you'd love to do lots of things wouldn't you? Would you like me to arrange a flight to the moon with your Ti?

But I know what it is like to be on dial-up. I was on 14.4 for a very very long time and when they day came that I went to highspeed I swore never again would I do dial-up.

And you folks think MSN and AOl are nice., I used to chat in realtime e-mail with school friends on my online courses. FirstClass had realtime e-mail and it would give a little "ping" sound whenever a new e-mail arrived. So we would ping each other to death.

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  00:41:39
Cory, you'd love to do lots of things wouldn't you? Would you like me to arrange a flight to the moon with your Ti?

But I know what it is like to be on dial-up. I was on 14.4 for a very very long time and when they day came that I went to highspeed I swore never again would I do dial-up.

And you folks think MSN and AOl are nice., I used to chat in realtime e-mail with school friends on my online courses. FirstClass had realtime e-mail and it would give a little "ping" sound whenever a new e-mail arrived. So we would ping each other to death.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  03:43:00
We used to do that back at school in Novell GroupWise. It didn't make any silly sounds, but it bugged the shit outta me!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  09:10:46
AppleStudentResource Set is like a 'tool' for college students and stuff... "power thru your projects and writing assignments" and stuff... I don't eventhink that I have the only "edition" or anything... or not :-\

yeah... there is alot of things that I would like to do that I can't

Official MLA TourGuide

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  16:18:18
Sounds good. I think there's a lot of things that everyone would like to do that they can't.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.