Lounge
 Intrikit Weaver Project Update.
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  20:45:06
You might know that I tried to bid on a boxed, nearly perfect copy of mac OS X 10.1 server Unlimited LIscence.

that didn't go so well...

I asked dad if I could just get a newer computer, and he said YES!!!

I can get a newer computer if I can pay for it...

I might have to sell my 7300 and/or my 6500 and other computers (except my TiBook)

My goal is to be able to have a Blue/White PowerMac G3 that's decently configured to run Mac OSX server. Even better, if I raise enough money by selling stuff and having "fundraisers" I may get a G4, or a used boxed copy of OSX.2 server

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  22:45:50
We got a B&W in at work. Man is that thing sweet. It is 450 with 128MB of ram. I installed OS X 10.1 on it and I was very surprised at how well it ran.

I could get it with a 17" CRT Apple Studio Display for $200. But I just cant find the money.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  23:03:16
how much without the CRT?

I have monitors around here that I could use...

I'd be interested in it if you're implying that theyre selling it

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  23:25:23
Aaahhh....B&Ws. Anyone else think that the B&W case looks better than the graphite G4 case that came out after it?

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  02:32:57
Personally I prefer the graphite case of the G4.

However if you're buying a B/W G3 don't send too much extra for the faster models. most can be overclocked by at least 50 MHz meaning even the slowest should run at 400 the fastest ones were the 500's and cost quite a bit extra. Don't pay extra for a better video cards non will support QE and it doesn't sound like you'll be using it for gaming. If you do want to upgrade a flashed PC Radeon 700o is the way to go. If you can stretch to an original G4 sawtooth it'll last a lot longer down the track but if you do plan on using it primarily as a server AGP isn't that big a deal and Panther is meant to be much faster on everything. I'd expect some pretty good deals when the G5;s start shipping.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  02:53:49
To be honest, I think Linux is a much better option for your project. Not only do you have access to all the source, but you get to fine tune everything. Plus, since Mac OS X is a POSIX system, any work you produce will be portable.

Unless of course this is just you idea of getting a server going and customing it to the maximum extend. You'll have to update me again as to the primary goal.

Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  09:10:49
quote:

I could get it with a 17" CRT Apple Studio Display for $200. But I just cant find the money.

I think you can still get the 19 inch Studio Display for about the same price.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.