Improve the forums!
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  16:12:49
Ok, go look at applefritter.com

They ahve the same forum drivers as we do (as far as I can see) and their members can get icons/pictures next to their posts, associated w/ their names.

That was the diff I saw right off.

I want pictures!

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

~~"We are all Mad here."~~

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  16:23:22
quote:

They ahve the same forum drivers as we do (as far as I can see) and their members can get icons/pictures next to their posts, associated w/ their names.

That was the diff I saw right off.

I want pictures!

Me too! I think that being able to post sketches of networks would be a great feature in your thread, the little sig graphics are pretty neat just by themselves though.

I thought they had different software, I like the way ours only counts each visitor once for each thread, I think you can jack their thread stats up by toggling back and forth during one session.

I also noticed much longer page loads for their threads and the performance of multi-page threads is abominable.

Also home and end don't work in their threads.

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 01 Feb 2002 16:24:51

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 01 Feb 2002 16:27:25Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  20:32:21
Applefritter Forums = Yet Another Bulletin Board v1 Gold
Our forums = Snitz Forums 2000

Our forum software does not recognize [img] tags or HTML code for images, but in my opinion, I would rather loose images in threads over preformance loss.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  21:05:11
Putting images with these forums (besides our logo / login pics) would significantly decrease over-all performance on 68ks

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  21:36:09
quote:

Putting images with these forums (besides our logo / login pics) would significantly decrease over-all performance on 68ks

Since I'm reporting serious performance degradation on a G-4/466/ DSL connection.............

btw: home and end work occasionally on short threads over there, and I've never had a problem with them here.

Also: when you quote a message with a smiley in it, fritter has s bug that puts a lot of gobbledegook in your posting.

Is there any way to add graphics calls to a library downloaded and stored on users machines? We could have a great variety of emoticons, message flags and whatnot without taxing bandwidth or cpu's.

jt: www.newbie

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  22:50:28
I much rather have speed over looks, even though I have ADSL on my Quadra it takes some time to render images and pages.

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napoleon

Covert Ops
Creator of the 68k Digital Hub
Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  23:28:59
quote:

I much rather have speed over looks, even though I have ADSL on my Quadra it takes some time to render images and pages.

There's a big difference between "wanting" and "seriously suggesting" (which I don't think anyone has done yet) having images in the sigs, but having a setup somewhere to post diagrams etc. to link to from postings might be useful. They wouldn't have to be stored very long, the postings would rotate out with the threads.

I'm not being critical, speed over eyecandy is a no-brainer for me. I just think it's interesting to note the differences between the formats.

jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  01:29:48
I suggest we get these forums the hell off a Micro$haft server...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  10:14:37

hey, this is supposed to be a vintage haven, right?

Let's start getting some ASCII art as sigs, if you want graphical sigs!

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  12:59:51
quote:

[font=Comic Sans MS]
hey, this is supposed to be a vintage haven, right?

Let's start getting some ASCII art as sigs, if you want graphical sigs!

Vintage as in bronze age, but I've been playing with ASCII format emoticons which are more akin to neolithic technology. There was ASCII graphics stuff available in the ARPANET/Internet(pre-WWWait) Era , anybody know of 68k updates or Pascal (etc.)/DEC (etc.) emulators to run old code. I'll bet it's still available on servers somewhere, I doubt much has migrated to PPC.

I wonder how hard it would be to port code for PDP-XX Unix boxes (LARGE boxes) to O.S.X? Did any of that kind of code migrate onto A/UX machines in Academia?

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 02 Feb 2002 13:01:35Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2002 :  23:28:21
No images! There's nothing worse than trying to read a thread on a certain machine for the first time and having to wait for hundreds of pics, avatars and banners to load. Imagine it on 56k!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  13:17:59
This same argument was made on the MAF, and I think like it is there, we should not have icons or imbedded images. They get waaaay out of control for what is a family forum, and also bog down 68k's (as mentioned before).

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  13:19:37
quote:

This same argument was made on the MAF, and I think like it is there, we should not have icons or imbedded images. They get waaaay out of control for what is a family forum, and also bog down 68k's (as mentioned before).

We own 68k's, so we appreciate pure simple elegance.

yes

(sounds good?)

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  13:22:22
quote:

This same argument was made on the MAF, and I think like it is there, we should not have icons or imbedded images.

reply #2 cos I just thought...

the icons we DO have - such as those up in the top-left of the screen, look very windowsy. And the editor ones now I look at the bold/italic/underline etc buttons here. Can these be changed? Who runs the forums anyhows... cos I have a lot of time on my hands being a home-only-type. A System 6 or 7 look would be nicer :)

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  13:57:51
quote:

the icons we DO have - such as those up in the top-left of the screen, look very windwosy. And the editor ones now I look at the bold/italic/underline etc buttons here. Can these be changed?

I like RaWR's colored ASCII flowers, I think a formatted/colorized ASCII copy/paste library to keep open in simpletext might be a rip! *......but I'm certifiable!* It would be an outlet for creative expression and a little more text won't bog down the 68k faithful. *it would be really cool to have our font 68k/militaristic dingbats for everybody to instal..................*
jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  14:17:21
LOL....I think Trash wants to put up his ACSII graphics of Britney Spears in here. I can do without the graphics. I focus on discussions anyway. There is more activity here because there are more "nuts" here than on Applefritter:) Seriously think we just enjoy each others company. We cherish our Apples the same reason we cherish our childhood. For many the Apples were their first computer experience...which budding nerds were weened on.

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  14:30:00
quote:

I can do without the graphics. I focus on discussions anyway. There is more activity here because there are more "nuts" here than on Applefritter:) Seriously think we just enjoy each others company. We cherish our Apples the same reason we cherish our childhood. For many the Apples were their first computer experience...which budding nerds were weened on.

And some of us have this little obsession that only popped up 18 months ago and seems to be going further and further back in mac time.
dana (mac owner for...19 months, really)

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  15:00:40
quote:

LOL....I think Trash wants to put up his ACSII graphics of Britney Spears in here. I can do without the graphics. I focus on discussions anyway.

Agreed about the graphics, being able to upload scans of brochures or'pegs to link to within the discussions was what I thought might be nice as long as they rotated out or were promoted to the web-page.

ASCII graphics or some silly B&W AI outlines fontogged into
type 1 would be interesting and just look like single characters to those without font installed. All storage would be on the browser boxes of those who did install. Just brainstormin', not seriously suggesting anything.

jt: Technosaur *fatmac/fontog/fanatic!*

btw bs is not my style: *maybe ak, st or ss tho! LOL, rex, you old.......er....middleaged! dog!*
| = Kate Moss
P = Mae West
B = Rosanne Barr
*oink...caution....mcp crossing!"

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  19:23:29
I used to have a program for Mac that would take a PICT file and make an ASCII picture out of it. It actually worked pretty well, and I used it a few times to put logos into readme files. I also have a system extension somewhere that would redraw the screen as ASCII art, it seems to me it requires a fairly powerful computer though becuse it does it in real time.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  10:37:10
performance/sleekness > graphics goodness.

ph33r my Centris 650.

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  10:43:44
quote:

performance/sleekness > graphics goodness.

Restrained eloquence!
Couldn't agree more.
jt

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.