Lounge
 68k coders ...
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  09:35:12
Oh another question & answer discussion just cos it's Friday night here & I'm pondering the world =)

Who here codes for 68k's? We all know as far as being a platform to create the latest-n-greatest on it's long past, but still amazingly useful due to at least a decade of apps coded for it... I have a thing for coding on locked-in hardware. It was one of my first loves in computing, and there's something about bringing out the most performance in a machine that's not going to change - such as MPegDec doing it's MP3 thing on 040s'.

It's been so long since I've touched assembler, I'm curious about it on 68k macs now. Does anyone here code assembler or even C?. Which developer packages do you use, what have you written? or is it just all for fun? :D

dana

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  09:53:16
I downloaded alot of 68k development software (I have 68k assembler, Codewarrior Pro, and Thin C++ on my Quadra), and if I knew how to make a useful application, I would. Right now, I'm still learning the basics of C (printf(), loops, etc.) and Applescript. I did write a very basic command line based calculator, but it only performs very basic functions (adds, divides, subtracts, and multiplies).

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  10:00:52
quote:

I downloaded alot of 68k development software (I have 68k assembler, Codewarrior Pro, and Thin C++ on my Quadra), and if I knew how to make a useful application, I would. Right now, I'm still learning the basics of C (printf(), loops, etc.) and Applescript. I did write a very basic command line based calculator, but it only performs very basic functions (adds, divides, subtracts, and multiplies).

That sounds quite similar to how I started :). A little of this, a little of that - then suddenly it all came together and... out pops a game or two, or the odd useful utility :). I've also done a little Applescript. That's a fun little language.

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  10:07:35
Although I haven't myself, at CalArts there's a Structured Programming class that uses nothing but a 5200CD and a Quadra 650 to do all their work. I started there 5 years ago and they've obviously been there even longer!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  10:20:52
quote:

That sounds quite similar to how I started :). A little of this, a little of that - then suddenly it all came together and...

That's nothing like the way I got....almost... started. I did basic in an adult-ed class on TRS-80's and followed up on C-64 and PC, I was so busy tweakin' and hackin' hardware that the only programming I did on the Mac was Future Basic with the kid way back when. Always felt incomplete because of this weakness in my computer experience, get some of the recruits into low level Mac OS coding! It'll be like knowing a little Latin for them when they need to learn Spanish (X-Linux-Unix). The kid's doin' great in a.p.comp-sci, get 'em started young!

Go for it, comrades!
jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2002 :  23:36:40
All I know is Pascal (!), VB () and Casio BASIC... I'm doing Java next year, hopefully we'll actually learn some useful C/C++ as well

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  01:09:48
quote:

All I know is Pascal (!), VB () and Casio BASIC... I'm doing Java next year, hopefully we'll actually learn some useful C/C++ as well

Pascal was the first language I learnt at uni - though I knew C before. If you're able to get anything useful done in Pascal, C is going to follow pretty easily! . It feels a bit less completely-rigid... but they're all the same stuff.

Now the OO stuff... that's a lil different. I don't think I'm going to pick it up without finding myself one of those 'real' manuals... with paper n stuff.

dana

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  08:19:38
The only programming language I know well enough to actually make somthing useful in is hyperscript, the language that Hypercard and Supercard use. Too bad Hypercard is pretty much dead. I know a little Java and VBscript too, not enough to actually make anything useful, but enough that I could cobble together a crappy program that was required to pass the Java and Virtual Basic classes I had taken.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  15:12:50
quote:

00013 Macs liberated.

I know Microsoft QBasic, Casio Basic and Borland Delphi. I want to learn how to program for Macs.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  17:32:13
Mt problem with coding for 68k Macs or my OS X G4 is that I need PROJECTS!

Nessecity is the mother of invention, and if I could only find some NESSECITY I'd be the first one to code.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  17:42:32
quote:

Mt problem with coding for 68k Macs or my OS X G4 is that I need PROJECTS!

Nessecity is the mother of invention, and if I could only find some NESSECITY I'd be the first one to code.

Trash80 has some drivers that need coding up for his pci bridge 68k thingy... :)

My ideas usually come while I'm learning a language - and I've been far too lazy to do that for a while yet. However, whoever put the mac assembler guide on HL - thanks. it's interesting reading :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  17:58:20
quote:

Trash80 has some drivers that need coding up for his pci bridge 68k thingy... :)

nah!....maybe someday.....right now I need a TTL boffin to lay the GD128kProtoHoax to rest.....*my head hurts...... 'm never gonna get any sleep.........* so I can get some! *the psychotic behavior/coherence ratio's are.........in.......?....flux......?....!.....*
jt
=8-}
playtime!

Go to Top of Page

Squarewave
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  17:39:27
Howdy y'all!

I haven't programmed anything more than a VCR in a long time, although if it helps I wrote a Mac program in C to perform some data analysis for my MS thesis (almost a full decade ago... yikes!). It basically did some fancy surface fitting and deconvolution of some data from a special mechanical test machine. I thought it was pretty cool, although in hindsight I really didn't need to implement the balloon help or drag n' drop features, since I was the only person to ever use it. And it took forever to run on an LCII. The speed increase going to a Centris 650 was just stunning!

Anyway, if anyone is looking for a good 68k problem to sink their teeth into, I suggest figuring out a way to access the DSP chips on Radius Photobooster hardware. I just got one for the princely sum of $3 off ebay (for that self-same Centris mentioned above, which has recently been called out of retirement after finding this site), and while faster Photoshop is cool, I would think there must be a way to harness that power to do more...

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  10:37:25
quote:

Anyway, if anyone is looking for a good 68k problem to sink their teeth into, I suggest figuring out a way to access the DSP chips on Radius Photobooster hardware. I just got one for the princely sum of $3 off ebay (for that self-same Centris mentioned above, which has recently been called out of retirement after finding this site), and while faster Photoshop is cool, I would think there must be a way to harness that power to do more...

I only wish I could code to that level - I've never touched driver/hardware hitting stuff on that kind of level. DSP's have me intrigued. Are there different types to do different jobs? or are they all programmable?. My immediate thought as far as a flexible programmable one would be to take advantage of it for MP3'ing... just 'cos.

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  10:47:34
quote:

I only wish I could code to that level - I've never touched driver/hardware hitting stuff on that kind of level. DSP's have me intrigued. Are there different types to do different jobs? or are they all programmable?.

both of you should look into "pixel shaders" on the dark side's new G-force toys. lotsa hp and flexability, (available docs 2, they're dyin' for development, gonna hit the Mac someday....maybe) be cool to turn into a p-shop rendercard if the hdwr can be redirected (HACKTIME!) back to the CPU.

just lunatic musings.
jt2

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  11:04:16
quote:

both of you should look into "pixel shaders" on the dark side's new G-force toys. lotsa hp and flexability, (available docs 2, they're dyin' for development, gonna hit the Mac someday....maybe) be cool to turn into a p-shop rendercard if the hdwr can be redirected (HACKTIME!) back to the CPU.

I can see it...

"Hi people! I just picked up a Q605 and did a little work to it!. It's running a 14" apple trinitron at 640x480, 16Mb ram, a 120Mb HD and a GeForce 4 Titanium"

*grin*

dana

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2002 :  11:11:37
quote:

I can see it...

*grin*

I deserved that . . . . . . . wouldn't work very well on 68k's . . . . . . . might want to look into developer info for the DSP daughtercard for the Radius Rocket, might shed some light on the NuBus PhotoBooster instruction set . . . . . . .
*more lunatic musings*
jt2

Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  13:20:13
Pascal r00z.

ph33r my Centris 650.

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2002 :  23:32:19
quote:

Pascal was the first language I learnt at uni - though I knew C before. If you're able to get anything useful done in Pascal, C is going to follow pretty easily!

Does a DOS version of Hangman with only one word and ASCII graphics count?

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2002 :  01:16:11
quote:

Was it a really hard word?

:)
dana

Go to Top of Page

Squarewave
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2002 :  19:53:40
quote:
might want to look into developer info for the DSP daughtercard for the Radius Rocket, might shed some light on the NuBus PhotoBooster instruction set . . . . . . .

Does anyone know where such documentation might be? I know there is a little out there on programming the DSP in the A/V macs, but I haven't found anything available on the Radius cards.

Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2002 :  21:17:34
For me..my early programming experience was on a ZX-81 using GoBasic then I went on to esoteric things like C-64 basic (ah all those peek and poke commands), then there was GWBasic with romps into Cobol and Fortran....I feel so old:) I think I will go hug my old Q&A software...

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2002 :  23:33:23
quote:

quote:

It was the word 'answer'!

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  11:07:03
quote:

quote:

quote:

It was the word 'answer'!

had to come back and say that one was killer!

also wanted to ask where the right place is to make a suggestion for a programming project:

i've noticed some interesting differences in the way text is handled by the forum software at MAF and here. a "WYSIWYG TEXT EDITOR FOR ASCII ART" with tweakable plug-ins for the different forum hosting packages might be a way for a budding coder to gain a little notoriety for doing a retro utility with a humorous technological twist. *i think it's almost oxymoronic, but you all know i'm crazy by now! =P-} *

jt2

Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  12:18:08
does HTML count?

ph33r my Centris 650.

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  09:23:53
No, since it is a scripting/markup language, not a programming language...

00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  19:50:43

I've done some 65816 coding...

Hooray built-in Applesoft BASIC interpreter!

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.