All Forums
 Compact Macs
 SE Hack Idea
Author Topic  
Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  09:05:06
I know that I can upgrade my SE to an SE/30 with an SE/30 (or Color classic) mobo, but what about replacing th SE's mobo with that of a Powerbook? I could probably get a 1xx-series Pbook (not the 100, of course- that wouldn't get me much of a speed boost) for cheap off ebay and transplant the motherboard, giving me an SE with at least a 25 mhz 030. Would that work?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The Sane

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  09:23:32
quote:

I know that I can upgrade my SE to an SE/30 with an SE/30 (or Color classic) mobo, but what about replacing th SE's mobo with that of a Powerbook? I could probably get a 1xx-series Pbook (not the 100, of course- that wouldn't get me much of a speed boost) for cheap off ebay and transplant the motherboard, giving me an SE with at least a 25 mhz 030. Would that work?

(throwing ideas around here cos I don't know 1xx PB's well...)

If you could get one with adb ports it would make it easiest. standard keyboard, mouse, all inside the case... and a HD you could probably mount anywhere if the PB came with one large enough to use. Would anything stop you from going one step further and replacing the SE's display with the powerbook's? I so so SO wanted to do that with my classic II/PB 540c... making a Performa 540c, kinda :D. but... the screen just doesn't fit inside there. There's so much more space inside a compact than the laptop, it should be easy to mount anything anywhere, including the power brick for the power book (say that ten times quickly :D. Cables might be a little hard to get for the floppy drive, to mount it in the right spot... If you have external scsi things too, you'd need an adaptor built in. Sounds fun if you have the bits :D.

(random thoughts kinda off now)

danaGo to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  09:34:58
I would like to get my hands on the guts of a 190....that would be sweet. I would be losing a Nubus slot, but the 190 has onboard Ethernet, modem, etc. I didn't think about the Hard drive, though. Would I be able to use the 2.5 inch drives w/o trouble?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  09:45:26
quote:

I would like to get my hands on the guts of a 190....that would be sweet. I would be losing a Nubus slot, but the 190 has onboard Ethernet, modem, etc. I didn't think about the Hard drive, though. Would I be able to use the 2.5 inch drives w/o trouble?

For drives, that would probably be a good good choice - adaptors for high density normal IDE (I think I have the numbers right :D are cheapish ($14 australian last I saw) so you could fit 3.5" IDE drive in there if the 2.5" drive the donor-190 came with wasn't large enough :). There would be power issues with those drives running directly from the 190 I would guess - but you could have the original SE psu in there to run the HD.

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  09:59:31
quote:

the guts of a 190....that would be sweet. I would be losing a Nubus slot

Go Duo and hack up a Dock to put 2 Nubus slots in the SE box!

I'm not sure, but you may have trouble interfacing anything more modern than an SE/30 with the analog board (hardware incompatability and vidres options?). You may need to find one of those 9" vga monitors, but I've never really looked into such a conversion so this is all conjecture on my part.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  10:59:22
quote:
[…] what about replacing th SE's mobo with that of a Powerbook? […] Would that work?

Not without some major hardware hacking. And I do mean major…

The PowerBooks have video circuitry designed for LCDs, the SE has an internal CRT.

quote:
If you could get one with adb ports […]

All PowerBooks until the Lombard had ADB ports.

quote:
[…] the 190 has onboard Ethernet, modem, etc.

Nope, it doesn't.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  11:53:05
quote:

quote:
[…] what about replacing th SE's mobo with that of a Powerbook? […] Would that work?

Not without some major hardware hacking. And I do mean major…

The PowerBooks have video circuitry designed for LCDs, the SE has an internal CRT.

Exactly, that's why a DuoMobo/Dock hack with a VGA transplant is the only way to go, IMHO. VGA out from a PB to a transplant VGA/CRT might work, but NuBus slots would be killer.

Without the analog board and funky circuitry on the @$$ end of the SE's CRT, you've got more room for boards. Alien, do you know of any SE-sized flat panels that could interface with a PB mobo? Might one of the available digital/analog panel converters work from hacked PB mobo signals?

A PB's flat panel swinging out from the hidden side of of an SE working in conjunction with an internal VGA transplant would be an interesting two monitor hack. One of the hacks that I have in mind would be a CC or SE Macquarium as a desktop FDD/Zip/CD/KVM center fronting for an out of sight something or other (or two or three with KVM switch). The monitor would be a portrait a/o pivoting LCD swinging out from the side hidden by the angled CC/SE pretending to be a humble Macquarium display when the computer is not in use.

Those are all the remotely possible configs that I can come up with for now. Feel free to poke holes in 'em, I'm just brainstorming (and have a pretty thick skin anyway).

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 02 Feb 2002 11:58:18Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  19:56:17
You guys make it sound so hard. All I wanted to do was empty out everything in the S/E (including the CRT) and use the case for the powerbook (including the LCD).

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  20:33:51
quote:

You guys make it sound so hard. All I wanted to do was empty out everything in the S/E (including the CRT) and use the case for the powerbook (including the LCD)

Out of the mouths of babes..... if it will fit, go for it! I assumed that the lcd would not fit and you would have to do some kind of hack. If it doesn't fit, the easiest thing would be to hack the case! (do a "stretch limo" expansion of the case! just a little wider....maybe a scootch taller, fill with bondo, spraypaint the case!
jt
*if it fits without hacking, I'm gonna REALLY feel dumb!*

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  16:49:44
That SE DuoDock is a GREAT idea... I think I might have to seriously try that out with an SE/30 case and monitor I have lieing around (I fried the mobo by plugging the power cables into it wrong. OOPS!)

If I can find the pinout for the analog board <-> MotherBoard connection, I think I can hack in a connector to use that already embedded monitor.

Need to go buy another DuoDock first tho.... I think there's one around here for $25...

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2002 :  17:24:59
quote:

That SE DuoDock is a GREAT idea... I think I might have to seriously try that out with an SE/30 case and monitor I have lieing around (I fried the mobo by plugging the power cables into it wrong. OOPS!)

If I can find the pinout for the analog board <-> MotherBoard connection, I think I can hack in a connector to use that already embedded monitor.

Glad you liked the idea.......not sure you will be able to fit all the boards in if you use the SE/30's CRT/Analog board unless they're more different from the SE's than I suspect. I think most of "guide to the mac family hdwr" is available online. If you can't find it I've got the paper rev. The SE/30's video interface is a pseudo-slot version of the II series video cards like the ci's, are you talking about hacking it there and running it off the dock board? The Nubus card from the II series or a IIci mobo might actually be hackable at some junction. Did those cards or the ci mobo do 512x342gs?
happy hackin'
jt2 <8-}

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.