Lounge
 Macintosh Liberation Army 2.0
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  20:52:55
The first thing you'll notice about MLA 2.0, is that it's not JUST 68k... it's all macintosh....

The next thing you'll notice is that it addresses three catagories of problems that the current forum has.

1)Slow Administration
- we're not going to turn into yet another fritter, or like the MAF... but some of the administration around here is very slow...
2)Lack of Forum Featurs
- Many people have complained about a certain... "lack" of features here at this MLA... and how they'd be unhappy if they lost some of the features that the current MLA (1.0) has... PHPbb has the new features... and the features that we like here are there.
3)concerns with LitClassics uptime, and MS reliability
- The new MLA will be hosted on someone's hosting, and they possibly on one of our own servers...

In relation to #3, the new MLA will, in time, have a one week trial period on some of the MLAers' own servers, for us to consider the possibility of it living on a MLAers' own server..

pop on over, sign up and when you sign up, tell one of the administrators if you are/were a moderator here! we'll gladly set you up as a moderator over there.

http://www.mla.digitalnn.com/

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  21:36:56
Much as I would like to join up, I don't think I will. I'll be leaving soon so I probably won't be around much, plus I really have no use for PPC Macs besides my iMac . Looks nice though

---------------------------------------------
I want to be unique just like everybody else.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  21:42:49
Ah, don't leave thequietman. Even if you're getting rid of all your old Macs, there's no rule saying that you have to have tons and tons of Macs to be a member.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  21:58:02
hehehe... please sign up! we should make a goal...

30 members signed up by next week... (or something)

Official MLA TourGuide
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  22:03:38
iDid!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  22:33:35
quote:

Ah, don't leave thequietman. Even if you're getting rid of all your old Macs, there's no rule saying that you have to have tons and tons of Macs to be a member.

Well, I've never had tons of Macs (4 was the most at one time). I've sold most of my Macs and Mac stuff (still in progress) because I'm leaving for college, and I can't take anything but my iMac . I also won't have any internet connection so that's why I won't be around any more. Hey, it was a fun month of membership, 3 more weeks til I ship out too . I wish I had found the 68kMLA a few years earlier though.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  22:35:01
Ah, i see. But hey, even so, there's no rule saying you can't stay. It does suck if you won't get the time though. Either way, if you do have some spare time, you'll always be welcome here.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  22:38:42
Heheh, yeah, can't you picture it? Me cutting classes to bum an hour of internet from a roommate

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  22:39:22
you're welcome back any time that you do have an internet connection though!

Official MLA TourGuide
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  17:40:55
I'm not entirely sure about this MLA 2. What you will end up with is like a divided community with some people over here, some over there etc.

I think we should wait this out untill all of the MLA has a chance to voice thier opinion as we do have a large number of members. I'm not for it or against it, at this point I am somewhat nuetral.

I just know alot of time was taken and spent over the years to run the 68KMLA, and to be honest cory, even though administration or Moderation on this forum might be slow or lacking, I don't think it shows proper taste or manners to openly say that in front of all the people on the MLA.

People who run sites like this often have thier own lives to lead and don't have all the free time you might. So, for them, it might be hard to get the site in top order with the limited resources they have.

I realize things may not be moving as fast as you may want them, but I do believe we should get the whole picture first, and perhaps instead of saying "here it use, let's use it" you could suggest a slow transition to a more reliable software.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  20:45:47
you know... it's not something that I started on my own...

Official MLA TourGuide

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  21:02:02
I don't really like the idea. It's like trying to buy off a popularity contest. I also find it improper to try and rip off someone elses hard work. It would be one thing to bring up new forums that were different from here, but you're literally tying to undermine and replace ~Coxy's baby here. You've been trying to goad this on for months now, but it never occured to you that ~Coxy may have some damn good reasons for keeping things the way he does. Instead you've just insulted him for taking his time to think things through. This was a very low thing to do cory.

Edited by - stryder on 11 Jul 2003 21:05:48Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  21:20:35
you'll realize, stryder, that I was not the only one to create it, and we have considered ~coxy... I will not personally say what was said....

another thing, is that the new "MLA" is NOT the same, it IS different, it has a wider scope of "liberation" now including PowerPCs...

it was NOT meant to be an insult....

I also dont' consider it to be ripping off someone's hard work...

that's just me, remember now, I'm only 15 years old... and I've had LOADS ripped off of me.... (trust me...)

Official MLA TourGuide

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  21:31:03
I don't consider it to be ripping off ~Coxy's hard work either. Remember, the MLA was started by a group of people, not just one person, and it seems that a sizeable chunk of the original founders approve of MLA 2.0. Either way, if most people don't approve of it, we can always take it back down...

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:03:03
exactly!

I'd thikn that we should leave it up for ahwile though... first, to see what more people think of it... and to get a view of what a forum of that activity would take on bandwidth and other "activity"

Official MLA TourGuide

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:10:57
You haven't a clue do you? Let's review your initial post.

quote:

The first thing you'll notice about MLA 2.0, is that it's not JUST 68k... it's all macintosh....

This is where you've just started trying to sway the masses of the 68kMLA to move from here to there. That would be undermining ~Coxys hard work.
quote:

The next thing you'll notice is that it addresses three catagories of problems that the current forum has.

1)Slow Administration
- we're not going to turn into yet another fritter, or like the MAF... but some of the administration around here is very slow...

This is where you don't just insult the forums, but ~Coxy himself. Did you ever consider that he may have been trying to ignore your attempts to push your personal agendas through? Makes him all the better man for it.
quote:

2)Lack of Forum Featurs
- Many people have complained about a certain... "lack" of features here at this MLA... and how they'd be unhappy if they lost some of the features that the current MLA (1.0) has... PHPbb has the new features... and the features that we like here are there.

Again your insulting the forums, but you forget that a lot of the 68k browsers have problems with all the features that we do indeed lack here. Keeping it simple is making it more user friendly for members of these forums.
quote:

3)concerns with LitClassics uptime, and MS reliability
- The new MLA will be hosted on someone's hosting, and they possibly on one of our own servers...

In relation to #3, the new MLA will, in time, have a one week trial period on some of the MLAers' own servers, for us to consider the possibility of it living on a MLAers' own server..

If the vast majority actually does go over, I hope you have something better than a DSL or Cable connection that you're planning on using. The amount of bandwidth that will be eaten up will destroy any hope of decent loading forums and the added "Features" will make it that much harder on the server.

As for this:

quote:
I'm only 15 years old... and I've had LOADS ripped off of me.... (trust me...)

That's a pathetic thing to say. When I was 18 I had a few thousand dollars worth of stuff Stolen from a house I rented. I don't even consider that to be a lot compared to everything else I've seen in life since. I'm twice your age and I know that in time, there will be more to deal with.

This whole thing leads me to not trust you. Can you honestly say that through the years to come, that you'll still be willing to put in the time and resources to make sure that everything stays up and running? If it came down to paying for hosting to provide for your members, are you willing to foot the bill? I can tell you this. One admin was hosting his forums on his home DSL with only 30 members. For the connection to cover the BW, it was costing over $100/mo. Will that be possible for you when we're talking over 1000 members?Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:21:40
Actually, the MLA 2.0 forums are hosted off a professional server. Its the server that runs DigitalNN, which is a new computer news site that is starting up. But yeah, like i said, if ~Coxy doesn't approve of it, we can always take it down.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:37:38
quote:

if ~Coxy doesn't approve of it, we can always take it down.

That statement makes a world of difference compared to the initial post.
I agree that it was a group of you to start off the original 68kMLA, but I was reffering to his work and dedication to keeping up the hosting, putting the forums together in the first place, spending the time trying to debug and fix any problems that were encountered. The conversation relys on all of us, but the backbone of the 68kMLA is ~Coxy. We may get frustrated when there is a problem, but he's the one stuck spending the time trying fix everything for us. That much should be respected.
At the time of it's creation, it made sense for the 68kMLA to create a home of it's own. The MAF was getting away from most Macs that were Pre-G3 and left only that one section up since. That's where I see the difference between then and this "version 2.0".

BTW, I made a mistake on the member count, but 500+ verses 30 is still a big difference. It's good to know that you will at least have decent hosting.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:39:05
Well said, Stryder.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:39:25
by "ripped off" I mean ideas.... ideas and projects... which is the way that ~coxy is getting ripped off... IF he is getting ripped off..

remember... the 3 "points" of the MLA upgrade are actually things that CaptainZ said... why he supports the transition to the MLA...

I remember one time, MacLover5 saying that PHPbb gives him MUCH less grief on his older browsers than snitz... (something to consider)

you can't trust me because I announced a new forum?

I begin to wonder how many people online *I* can trust because of this...

My first year at the MLA was great, but after that day... things basically headed downhill... I've been working and helping to improve that... and you'll note that the new MLA is NOT finalized in any way....

Official MLA TourGuide

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:42:08
quote:

I remember one time, MacLover5 saying that PHPbb gives him MUCH less grief on his older browsers than snitz... (something to consider)

Yes, thats true. Snitz makes Netscape 3 very crashy.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:47:07
quote:

Actually, the MLA 2.0 forums are hosted off a professional server. Its the server that runs DigitalNN, which is a new computer news site that is starting up. But yeah, like i said, if ~Coxy doesn't approve of it, we can always take it down.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1

I don't believe ~coxy really cares anymore, he never spends his time here, besides it should be the members that have control. I don't believe anyone really browses on a 68k anymore.

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:53:52
Some people might. I sometimes browse on one of my '040s when i can't do so on one of my PPCs. I remember when Dad had the PB1400 on a business trip with him, and my iMac had its heart attack, my LC475 was my main internet machine, and it handled very nicely.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:55:31
Perhaps you could think of MLA 2.0 as a beta test, an experiment if you like. You can test out new features, see how much extra bandwidth it requires, and try different setups. Once you find something that works for everyone, then maybe the 68kMLA can start to incorporate some or all of the new features. Every new product has prototypes before it starts production, why not have a prototype forum

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:56:51
Hmm, well said thequietman. Now lets quit all the fighting at once!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:59:01
Yes, I did say those things. The reasoning behind it stems from things that have happened here.

1) Slow Administration - a while back, there was a thread I started in the War Room about replacing inactive mods with new mods. People were chosen (catsdorule, Da Penguin, and I think bigsadhu), and everyone who replied to that thread thought it would be a good idea to bring them in on a trial basis to see if they'd work out. Talks in this thread died out, and nothing came from it.

2) Lack of forum features - again, in the War Room I've brought up topics about adding Avatars, images, and ranks. The main reason we don't have avatars and images is because we want to keep the forums 68K and dialup friendly, which is understandable, and I agree with. Under phpBB, there is a mod that can be installed to turn off avatars and images, set by user preference. As for the ranks, generally everyone who replied thought it was a good idea, but again, nothing happened.

3) LiteratureClassics stability, MS Database errors - in the latest crash wiped out a day's worth of posts, but there have been longer outages where we have lost more. I've seen phpBB go down once on MAF. Considering we have a much smaller community than the MAF (575 vs. 10000+), forum crashes won't be as often since phpBB is more stable.

Also, just as a sidenote: Snitz 3.4.02, which we currently use, doesn't play nice with Safari sometimes. Snitz 3.4.03, which has been out since September, does play nice though.

[edit: forgot one thing]
------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

31 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV Stuff

Edited by - Captain Z on 11 Jul 2003 22:59:51Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  23:03:49
Interesting. The forums work fine for me in Safari...

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  23:04:54
thank you, CaptainZ, thequietman, MacLover5 and catsdorule...

as a personal note to stryder...

DON'T KILL THE MESSENGER

I cannot stress this enough... but as basically the appointed "PR officer" or whatever... it was my job to post here about the new MLA... I support the new MLA fully, and as long as both exist, I'll be active at both MLAs... I must say stryder... this is a complete surprise... you have completely floored me with this...

I'm certain that there has been NO grief from you that I post alot here... so this is the first time I've had any kind of "run in" with you per se... I cannot say it better than you've basically floored me....

I think that if the number of MLAers who have already supported the new MLA, and the number who have NOT read ANY kind of insults into my posts... they support it... and that's what's important to me.

Official MLA TourGuide

Metrophage

Tonga
54 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  23:08:47
I can certainly understand wanting to cover PPC machines as well as 68k, but I don't think it's worth splintering off for. Even with the current forum structure people still discuss their PPC machines at times.
As for myself I do not desire more "features", I am here for the content, which I think is great. Could be a scrolling text file and I'd still enjoy it just fine.
Slow admin? How? What do you need the admin to do?
The server has been up every time I have tried since I discovered these forums about a month ago, so I am happy with the performance.
I might check out the new board for kicks, but I do not think it is necessary. Base was the first board I got into in 2000/ 2001, ov course it's flashy when all the admin are graphics-design freaks!I would assume that each ov us here can basically contribute freely just about any content within the current structure, so long as it does not jeopardize the forum or it's admin.
Not many people here may browse on a 68k mac, but a lot ov PDAz and phonez are 68k based too. When I get my Duo running this summer I am def going to be online with it!

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  23:17:52
quote:
Slow admin? How? What do you need the admin to do?

That really isn't much of an issue in most cases. ~Coxy is a fine admin, but sometimes doesn't act on things like the aforementioned adding of Moderators to cover the week points. Lately I've been seeing less and less of ~Coxy (last post was July 1, last visit July 7), which is probably due to it being winter down there (so back to school), and his life is busy again.

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

31 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  23:23:10
Agreed.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  05:48:10
I am moving my stance to nuetral to against the new forums.

This place was setup for the chat of 68K macs and all things vintage. If you want to talk PPC and other stuff, feel free to setup your own board, but don't take the name of the MLA since that belongs to this community, even if this new community is sanctioned by members alike.

So, in finale, I will now cut myself in half while making myself burn and disapear in flaming smoke while I wallow in fear over what may next occur.

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  05:54:18
quote:

I don't believe ~coxy really cares anymore, he never spends his time here, besides it should be the members that have control. I don't believe anyone really browses on a 68k anymore.

Just because I don't post a lot anymore doesn't mean that I don't care or that I don't spend time here.

I check this place every time I go online, and believe me when I say that I am abreast of all the trials and tribulations of the place.

Boards where the members truly have control are rarely successful. They degenerate into tiny little clusters of individuals who just happen to frequent a set of boards run off someone's DSL.

I didn't want to appoint new mods because the place hardly needs them, and the people hardly need the positions. They would be able to access a forum where there's a single topic in a blue moon, and they'd be able to edit and delete posts which have nothing wrong with them. Think about what the literal meaning of the word "moderator" is. In our case, it would serve only to give certain individuals a big head.

I wasn't going to get involved in this, but I guess now I'll state my opinion, not as the leader of the MLA or any such fanciful title, but as a member and the guy who just happens to run the forums:
The reason that the MLA was formed was to force-focus on 68k Macs. That's pretty much the sole reason for its existence. The "68kMLA" name and the "MLA" name are used interchangeably, so I've got no option to consider "New MLA" to be a cash-out of the MLA name.

Don't screw it up, guys.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  06:12:16
:)

Well said Coxy.

I can go to sleep now knowing the world is safe. ;-)

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  07:05:00
Very well said, ~Coxy. Now i'll be able to actually get some rest tonight! You said everything that needed to be said.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  07:18:30
One thing i just thought of: Lets just give it up. Within a few days, the "New MLA" is going to be as popular as New Coke. It's the New Coke of the MLA!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  08:00:41
All that work on the website, whatever i'll just move it to something different.

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  08:13:38
Dude,

Sorry it didn't work out the way we all wanted it to, but in the end, it was more trouble than it was worth. Otherwise i'd still be there.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  09:40:10
quote:

as a personal note to stryder...

DON'T KILL THE MESSENGER

I cannot stress this enough... but as basically the appointed "PR officer" or whatever... it was my job to post here about the new MLA... I support the new MLA fully, and as long as both exist, I'll be active at both MLAs... I must say stryder... this is a complete surprise... you have completely floored me with this...

It would have been easier to accept if the derogatory remarks had been left out and if it had been made known that initially that ~Coxy would have say/input into the other forums.
quote:

I'm certain that there has been NO grief from you that I post alot here... so this is the first time I've had any kind of "run in" with you per se... I cannot say it better than you've basically floored me....

You're right about the post count thing. I actually like the fact that you stay as active as you do. You're a big help in keeping things active around here and I hope you keep it up.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  16:39:06
It's all over that's all for me, bye bye no more.....

:-)

Go to Top of Page

macclassic
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  18:49:49
I'll pass on the "new" MLA 2.0.

I come here daily because it's a great source of all things 68k. People that know and _love_ 68k machines are few and far between and this is one place that has more than 2 of them.

I think in trying to include PPC and beyond, you're going to dilute what 68k expertise you have.

Heck, if I wanted to post on a forum that encompasses everything, I'll go to the MacAddict forums and use the Pre-G3 section.

Just my .02

----
Macintosh Classic
2 MB RAM / 40 MB HD
Asante EN/SC Ethernet
Kensington Tilt-N-Swivel
System 6.0.7Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.