All Forums
 Lounge
 What's your favorite OS?
Author Topic  
thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  15:29:36
I'm not looking to start an argument over which OS is better, faster, or more powerful/stable than another one. I just want to know what OS you personally like the best. That said, I think I should start the ball rolling with my own opinion . I like System 6 the most. It's fast on any 68k and it's compact enough to fit on an 800K diskette.

Let the opinions begin

---------------------------------------------
I want to be unique just like everybody else.

vollspacken
Starting Member

Germany
6 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  15:45:35
let's see:

- my favorite 68k OS is 7.1 with some stuff from 7.5 added

- my favorite OS in general is osX 10.2

- the simplest OS has to be C=64 Basic (that machine runs on an motorola CPU too I guess, so it almost fits in...)

hehe
vSpacken

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  15:55:06
It depends on the Mac. I tend to like later OS versions, but hate how the last version supported on a machine makes it run dog slow and usually consumes most of the RAM. So my favorite version is always about half to a full rev less than the latest officially supported rev.

If I had to choose a favorite overall, I would pick 7.1 for 68k's and 8.6 for PPCs.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  18:37:02
Ahh yes, if you include PPCs then I would definitely have to say 8.6. I've used it for the past 4 years and I have to say it is much more lightweight than OS 9 while having almost the same features, uses half as much RAM, and has been incredibly stable on my Lombard.

I want to be unique just like everybody else.Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  19:35:09
I like 9.2.2 vs 9.1 in my 8600. I think the slickest I've had running was 8.1 on my Centris 650 with 128mb of ram.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out.

Edited by - stryder on 14 Jul 2003 22:18:32Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  20:18:40
I think that any "server" OS is cool

for most stuff, Windows NT works for me on older PCs...

I LOVE OSX.2 on my PowerBook, and I'm going to be using OSX.1 server on my 7300 for the Intrikit Weaver...

for most 68ks, I'd use 8.1, (040) or 7.5(anything less)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  21:54:00
Hmm, on older (68000 and 68020 machines), it'd have to be either System 6.0.8 or 7.1. On 68030s, its 7.5.5. On '040s, I use 8.1 or A/UX. On PPCs, however, I run either some variant of OS 9 or Jag.

On older PCs, i run either Windows 95 or NT, and on my Dell i have XP Professional.

However, my least favourite OSes are OS 8.6, System 7.5.2, and Windows 98. Can you say "Crash City"?

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  22:18:56
ofmy least favorite?

Windows 98 (of course)

other than that I mostly love all operating systems...

windows 95 runs PERFECT on my athlon 700... I don't know how but it does...

Official MLA TourGuide
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  22:33:25
Windows 98 has never treated me right.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

mypojam

Malaysia
192 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  00:44:34
i think i like 8.1 because it's the first major change in the mac OSs.
and it's file allocation table is quite faster than the old 7.6.1 compared. NTFS anyone ?

yah yah. we malaysians lives in trees. and we have broadband on these trees! what does you country have ?Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  02:08:59
Mac OS X 10.2.6 Jaguar.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  02:13:20
Well Well, before I start laet me state my position, Windows & Apple Mac os are the 2 main os's & this is because they are commercially viable, though not in my opinion "better" than other os's.

anyhow from my limited experience,

1. Tos 2.06
2. os 8.1
3. Win 95

I have used the above for a sufficient period of time & so they are there by default as an os is good if you can use it.

Fell by the wayside due to impracticality,

1. Magic
2. Win 95
3. Amiga's Desktop
4. any Apple os previous to 7.1

now to list those which I havn't used

1. os x
2. Win 2000
3. Linux

os x has pushed down the prices of older powermacs
Linux just gave lotsa nerds a reason to spoil chat rooms by spamming lines such as"Linux wipes the floor with Windows"

Tos 2.06 is the best os ever.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  07:26:12
That's interesting, I've never heard of Tos. Is it similar to *NIX with no GUI?

I want to be unique just like everybody else.Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  10:31:50
quote:
That's interesting, I've never heard of Tos. Is it similar to *NIX with no GUI?

I'm not sure of what "nix" is. Does nix have gui?

Well Tos is kinda (to the layman who has never seen it perhaps) a bit of pc & a bit of mac. & Tos classically works with Gem, Graphics Environment Manager. Yes Tos has a lovely GUI.

I am now using my pc card in my Quadra & have got it running Gem, you can use Gem with Tos or Gem with Dos.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  10:35:47
'nix = Short for UNIX, a well known OS that OS X is based on.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  17:15:33
quote:
Windows 98. Can you say "Crash City"?

Windows 98a was crash city, but Windows 98 SE is pretty stable, and some games, like Unreal, run better on it than on Windows 2000.

If you ask me, I could never find a favorite OS. Each one has its own limitations and drawbacks.

DOS is good because it's small, but it doesn't have real network support, has only one user, and has prettymuch been abandoned.

*NIX is good because it has everything DOS doesn't have, but the shell commands are cryptic and vary from one distribution to another, it takes more space, and programs aren't always compatible (without modifications you need to be a C programmer to implement)

As for Windows, NT flavors are better, but NT4 doesn't support DirectX. W2K does, but you need more processing power to run it, which forces you to go back to 98SE to get the games to run better. Even then, Windows takes up way more resources than it should and is way larger than it should be.

Classic Mac OS has a silkier GUI, is smaller than Windows and uses less resources, but there's enough versions to make your head spin. Different programs want different versions, and different Macs run better on different versions.

I haven't really used OSX enough to compare it here, but that's because you need an expensive computer to run it decently.

Someday I'll get around to trying OS/2, but it's a "dead" OS.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  17:48:25
I personally for my older macs enjoy Mac OS 7.6.1, it was just in that nice soft spot between OS 7.5.3 which had it's share of bugs and System 8, which was brand spanking new but still had it's glitches. So for me, 7.6.1 was a nice soft spot.

For Windows machines, Windows NT 4 was a nice rock solid OS, but not good for home users. Windows 95 OSR2.5 was a nice spot between 98 and ME as well.

For laptops I usually use Windows 95, although recently I have been looking into various Linux versions for use with Laptops.

My current setup is with Windows XP and RedHat 8 dual boot enviroment. It works nice and RedHat 8 has a nice user interface and so far I have been able to do most operations on it with no large problems. This includes making installs from source code.

I've tried Suse and Mandrake, but I like RedHat. It's installation and end user GUI reminds me of OS 8 a bit, and that makes me feel at home with the whole Mac theme.

Go to Top of Page

Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  18:59:13
my favorites would have to be System 6, 7.1, and 9.2.2. for PC's my favorite would probably be 2k Pro. it's even fairly fast on a Pentium 200 (with a lot of RAM!)

least favorites:
Win2k Server
Windows 95 & 98A & ME
7.0.1 & 7.5.2 & 8.5

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  19:51:08
quote:

Windows 98a was crash city, but Windows 98 SE is pretty stable, and some games, like Unreal, run better on it than on Windows 2000.

Lol, thats what everyone says. Maybe it just hates me or something, i dunno. Its just that every time i attempt to clear my previous thoughts of Windows 98, sit down at a computer, and install it, i always end up back at square one. Gah!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  21:09:37
hehehe... I like NTFS

anyway... TOS is what is used on Atari machines, like the ST 1024 (or whatever htey were)

those machines are famous for their similarity to MacOS If I recall

Official MLA TourGuide

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  21:27:38
Heh, i love NTFS too, but it ain't supported by Win 9x.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Metrophage

Tonga
54 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  21:45:12
My favorite thus far has been MacOS 10.2.5. I think that 10.2.6 has been ok though I have had two carbon appz flake about it. I do like OS9.2.2 quite a bit.
Ok, on my 8500 I run 9.1, which is usually perfect- except when I use two particular appz which I often need to: AOL client (yuck! can you say bad code citizen?) to get online, and Max, one ov my fave MIDI appz. Using either ov these with anything often crashes, though never otherwise. 9.2.2 I run on the B&W (an EXTREMELY kind donation from a friend), but I never use either ov those appz on it. 9.2.2 runs much, much faster on the B&W G3 400, I would assume because ov the faster bus and more RAM. Also it's usually ok, but I wonder if the 8500 RAM is matched as well as could be.
I have used 8.1, 8.5, 8.6, 9.0, 9.0.4 and had decent experiences. Lots ov crashes in 8.6 when I was doing crunchy audio work, but the hardware config was different then. I would LOVE to try OS 6 and 7 versions, and will once I get my Duo running. My parents are trying to get me to visit so I can hopefully get the Duo this month and start working on it.
I have a few intel machines, which I have run DOS 5 and 6, and Windoze 3.1, 95, 98, and 2kpro on. Up till 2k I prefer DOS. 98 was a nightmare. 2k I think is the final frontier for windoze. Actually works fairly well. Call me a pessimist if you will but I doubt if windoze is ever going to get any better than that. Anyway, I am discontinuing my use ov windoze! I simply have no applications to run on it. Only thing left I use it for is the Steem emulator for AtariST- my introduction to TOS. I am converting my Atari images to hopefully use on a PPC emulator.
Mac OS X has gotten me into UNIX. I have wanted to try for years, when I put my first computers together in 97, a 386 and then a p233 shortly after, I wanted to try Linux but was overwhelmed by downloading and configuring the various pieces. Now I am very much interested in compiling other people's music appz as I try to learn how to code my own. Main problem is that a 6gig drive is not enough room for 9.2.2, 10.2.6, the appz I already use- AND lots ov UNIX libraries and freshly compiled appz. I shuffle stuff like crazy, a real poster-child for 10gig+ hard drives.
So meanwhile I am getting ready to try a bunch ov UNIX/ Linux/ BSD/ Mach OS'z on my intel hardware, though between all ov my boxes I need to back up no less than 10gig ov philez, which I have been organizing on and off through the week.
Biggest psych was in 1999 I bought a DEC Alpha for cheep and spent a week trying to install NT4 on it. I got sick ov that and decided to flash a new BIOS so I could install DEC UNIX 3.2 (aka OSF/1). What happened was that I corrupted the boot ROM somehow, and I found that the 3.2 package I bought did not include, as stated, a license number to install it with! That was extremely frustrating! Since then I have learned how one can supposedly reflash the boot ROM, once I get that box back from my parents house I am going to try to get the Alpha running, with either DEC UNIX or some other 64-bit *nix.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:00:55
Agreed, Metrophage. Win 2k kicks major @$$!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:21:43
I like quite a few, for various reasons. My favourite all up has to be OSX. 10.2 on the iMac and eMac is just so slick, so stable, so workable. OS9.2 on the eMac is actually -slower- than 10.2 - on the iMac it was the opposite. OS9.2 on the 1GHz G4 feels the exact same speed as on the iMac 400 - it certainly hasn't benefitted in the general gui/usability side from the G4 and extra MHz. 10.2 however, has completely eclipsed it.

7.1 is just my fave on the Quadras - so stable and light.

68k linux is a much heavier OS, but has all those neat linux tools for web & mail serving that I like to play with too =).

--
dana

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:23:27
Hmm, Dana, maybe your eMac is trying to tell you something about OS 9 by slowing it down?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  22:55:18
My favourite OS's, some of them I have never used, but you know they are/going to be good :

1. BeOS/ZetaOS
2. RiscOS
3. MacOS
4. AmigaOS
5. Windows XP (The windows MS got right)
6. RedHat Linux
7. MorphOS
8. eComstation

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

geekwurkz

USA
156 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  00:06:39
My favorite OSs:
68k: MacOS 8.1
PPC: BeOS & MacOS 8.6
x86: BeOS, *nix, Windows 98 v4.10.1998

I hate all NTish OSs... They've never worked right for me.
nick

-------------------------
*Nooooo! You Found My Hidden, Secret ChatRoom*
irc.freenode.net:6667 #elgatoconquesoGo to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  00:48:17
Good choice there Geekwurks, BeOS in all of its possible places

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  00:59:51
Heh, yeah. I soo wanna try out BeOS some day...

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  16:29:05
On Apple Hardware:

6.0.8 for 68000 Macs

7.1 for 020/030 Macs

7.6.1 for 040 Macs

NetBSD for 68k Macs if you need *nix. A/UX is cool to play around with, but it's not much good as a server, and the compiler and libraries are way too old to compile much of anything without a fuss.

8.6, 9.1, or 9.2.2 for Power Macs <= beige G3. If you don't need networking, disable all the Internet and Open Transport stuff in 9.x. 9.1 flies on my recording machine, a PM7100/80av. If you need networking, go with 8.6.

OS X for all non-beige Power Macs.

Yellow Dog Linux on Power Macs. Most hardware is well supported, and installation is easy.

Win95 OSR2.5, NT4, or Win98SE on Pentium I and II, Win2k on Pentium III and up. WinXP is nice and stable, but I can't tolerate the interface.

OpenStep on x86 if you need a *nix and your hardware is supported. It's incredibly stable, easy to use, and there's plenty of software available. If you need a piece of software that isn't available, you can always use CubX, the free X11R6 implementation, to run it remotely from a Linux or BSD box.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Metrophage

Tonga
54 Posts
Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  20:44:46
maclover5, what I was saying was not that it is my opinion that Win2kPro kicks major @$$, but that at least it functions, as compared to my prior experiences with 95, 98, NT. Still, to say that an OS can function- a crucial first step- is not to say that I think it is very good. I think that Win2kPro is just okay, as opposed to completely useless. The capability to really set up administrate and tweak your own machine could easily be implemented as it has been in UNIX, but it has not. Kind ov curious oversight for a spozed "network operating system". Also my experience has been that the windoze software is often bloated and buggy compared to that on my macs.
I think that Apple's (NeXT's) strategy ov the user-friendly Mach-BSD is more versatile and robust. Better covers the range from complete newbie to all-out end user. Not to mention the developer tools are included for free, rather than for hundreds ov dollars.
Some ov the many reasons why I don't use Windoze anymore! If I can run MacOS on my two intel-based machines then I will soon

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  21:27:57
I LOVE BeOS R5 on my 7300... it's performance for just about anything is great, and it's windowing system is closer to OSX... not slow like OS9 where it has to bring up all the windows in a program....

I'm going to be trying Rhapsody DR2 on my 7300 sometime tonight or tomorrow... whenever I can get the beast burned to CD and installed on the 7300.

Official MLA TourGuide

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  21:52:11
quote:

maclover5, what I was saying was not that it is my opinion that Win2kPro kicks major @$$, but that at least it functions, as compared to my prior experiences with 95, 98, NT. Still, to say that an OS can function- a crucial first step- is not to say that I think it is very good. I think that Win2kPro is just okay, as opposed to completely useless. The capability to really set up administrate and tweak your own machine could easily be implemented as it has been in UNIX, but it has not. Kind ov curious oversight for a spozed "network operating system". Also my experience has been that the windoze software is often bloated and buggy compared to that on my macs.
I think that Apple's (NeXT's) strategy ov the user-friendly Mach-BSD is more versatile and robust. Better covers the range from complete newbie to all-out end user. Not to mention the developer tools are included for free, rather than for hundreds ov dollars.
Some ov the many reasons why I don't use Windoze anymore! If I can run MacOS on my two intel-based machines then I will soon

I know what you mean. What i meant is that '2k is one of the best versions of Windows. Still, if i had the choice, I'd stick a copy of OS X on this Dell faster than you could say "oh my god".

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 14 Jul 2003 :  22:06:33
lol! maybe you could run NeXTstep/OpenStep/Rhapsody under VMware or Virtual PC...

just watch out for UberTechnicalities like... "pirating hardware" that's one of the weirdest thoughts ever!

Official MLA TourGuide

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  00:00:06
Apprently there is a new version of BeOS out there, but I thik it's mainly for developers. One sec, I have it in my bookmarks here somewhere.

*checks his bookmarks page which is 7 pages long*

http://www.beosonline.com/ aha! found it!

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  02:11:45
Is Be still around? Just wondering...i thought th ey shut up shop a couple of years ago. But yeah, i'm glad that the OS is still being developed!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  05:38:07
My favourite OS is RISC OS. I run 3.7 on my Risc PC ARM710.
Heres a screengrab I took last night: http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~sjr/screen.gif

Heres a generated system info screen from the 9th July. 11 days uptime then and still going strong now:
http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~sjr/status/status.htm

Mac-wise, I say 8.1 because I run it on all my 68k machines. Pretty solid, stable and looks pretty good also. I run it on my 1400 too.

JobfGo to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  11:09:54
System 6.0.8

end of thread

Manager, the llama-X project.
Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  11:14:25
As a man who was playing with RISC OS long before he ever touched a PC, I can concur that it is a brilliant OS, if not a little buggy, and a bugger to keep patched as it is loaded on ROMs and the patches have to be loaded at Boot, or should I saw !Boot :). Acorn folding was a bugger too, especially as it was Acorn who first made ARM Systems (as was - now part of Intel) a force to be reckoned with (closely followed by Apple!). If anyone ever doubts the power of the Newton 2x00 the StrongARM RISC PC used the same StrongARM 110 CPU in one incarnation and could do things in 3D that made PCs of the time (before 3Dfx or anything like that) look very clunky.

Fave MacOS is 10.2 (probably soon to be 10.3!!)

Fave Classic Mac OS is 8.1 - most of the features of OS 9 and non of the weight :D

Fave System is 6.0.8 - On any 030 or 040 it whips ass :)

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Holder of the Crowbar of Persistant Crate Opening
"Never send a human to do a machine's job" - The MatrixGo to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  12:06:30
The original BeOS was sold to Palm. Now if they were to get BeOS running on thier handhelds, that would be so sweet! I would buy one of those PDA's in a heartbeat! And with all the development being done for BeOS, the palm would have a good selection of apps.

But companies seldom do what people want. Only what we need. Then again, sometimes not even that.

There are also a few people who are working on a open source version, but nothing stable yet.

Go to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 15 Jul 2003 :  12:43:16
quote:

Win95 OSR2.5, NT4, or Win98SE on Pentium I and II, Win2k on Pentium III and up. WinXP is nice and stable, but I can't tolerate the interface.

uhh... Desktop Properties > Themes, change the theme to Classic Windows.

Voila! no more stupid blue and green, just plain old Windows grey. Now can you tolerate the interface? i hated WinXP until i did that, too.

Manager, the llama-X project.
Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.