All Forums
 68k Conquests
 lc and mystery question
Author Topic  
muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  13:18:43
It is a drag that my post disappeared, but that is life - nothing permanent. Here is what I posted, somewhat differently phrased:

I was given 2 lcs yesterday, even though I am no great fan of these machines. I already had 2 in my possession, one of which I used for parts. I much prefer my q950, the performa 475 (which I finally got working, even upgraded the vram and added a 8 Mb Ram) and my first love, the IIsi. One of these new lcs gives the chimes of death. Taking it apart, I noticed that it has 2 4MB DIMMS and not the usuall SIMMS. Has anyone ever seen such a beast? Does it have a different chipset to accomodate this memory?
And as for the mystery question: The e-bay in Berlin has a posting for parts - logic boards,nubus cards, etc, without a description. Anyone have any idea what is posted here: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2740134049&category=171&rd=1

muzhok

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  13:31:07
My guesses (reposted )

Upper right red board: prototype for a 6100 series
Center light green: Nubus ethernet with DB-15 and coax
Lower left green: graphics board
Upper right green: LC of some kind???
Small upper left of center: PDS board, maybe ethernet with a coax tee?

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  13:35:26
quote:
One of these new lcs gives the chimes of death. Taking it apart, I noticed that it has 2 4MB DIMMS and not the usuall SIMMS. Has anyone ever seen such a beast? Does it have a different chipset to accomodate this memory?
Any chance some put the wrong memory into the unit and caused the chimes of death?

Anyhoo, an LC makes a good sacrificial Mac for testing unknown componetry. I would never plug a rummage sale or thrift shop HD into one of my main Macs. The LC makes a great little solider that is willing to throw its little pizzabox onto a fried peripheral grenade.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent

EDIT: just checked Apple Spec. There was a the 6300 series that had the same flat, pizza box form factor as the Quadra 630, but used 168 pin DIMMs. But AFAIK, every Mac that used DIMMs was a PPC.

Edited by - G4from128k on 10 Jul 2003 13:44:23Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  04:11:16
quote:

The LC makes a great little solider that is willing to throw its little pizzabox onto a fried peripheral grenade

LOL! that's funny

Here's what I reckon is in the photo...

Starting from the top left - LC or LCII mobo, below that is a floppy and a LC-PDS network card (coax). Below that is a 90 degree adaptor which will more than likely have a FPU on it. It suits Quadra 610's I think. Attached to that is a NUBUS network card, but you could swap that for any other card. At the bottom we have the graphics card and the RAM, and another network card in the centre. I'll go with the others re: the PPC board. The other board (middle, right hand side) looks like a Centris size board, but no 040 processor. So it's got to be a 6100 or something

The network cards are next to useless, but the rest of the package looks OK.

Heh, just looking at the photo again.... I reckon the NUBUS adaptor plus network card on the left match with the 6100 mobo on the right (I'm convinced it's a 6100 now)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  08:19:02
Methinks that the LC mobo (upper left) is a prototype LC or LCII board. It doesn't really look like my LCII or LCIII mobo, yet it doesn't look like an LC mobo, and it doesn't have an '040, ala the 475. Someone snap this up quick!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.