problem with apple 600e cd-rom and lc 475
Author Topic  
cca_75
Starting Member

France
6 Posts
Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  11:44:57
hi,

I recently bought some old apple hardware for my sister : a LC 475 (HD 80 Mbytes, RAM 20 Mbytes), a "genial" apple greyscale portrait screen, a stylewriter 2400 and an external cdrom 600e mostly to install all the software to use it properly.
It runs now macos 7.5 and i would like to install 7.5.3 and even 8.1 if it can support it with only 20 Mbytes of RAM.
So i need the cdrom to install : there's a problem. When I insert any cd in it, nothing appears on the screen ... Any idea ???
The 600e runs properly with other macs ...
Can it be the scsi card in the Lc 475? How can test it ?

Thanks in advance ...

CCA

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  12:18:54
Mac OS 8.1 will run fine with 20MB of RAM, although 7.5 will be much faster. You can use SCSIProbe to see if the drive is actually there. You also might need to install the CD-ROM drivers if they're not already installed.Go to Top of Page
cca_75
Starting Member

France
6 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  14:37:44
quote:

Mac OS 8.1 will run fine with 20MB of RAM, although 7.5 will be much faster. You can use SCSIProbe to see if the drive is actually there. You also might need to install the CD-ROM drivers if they're not already installed.

Well thanx for the answer,
I will try it as soon as possible ... when I will able to reach this LC475 ...

Meanwhile, to check the scsi cdrom, I tried to use the external cd 600e on one of my old 68k : a pb 540c. I never tried this before. I thought it should have been also : the connection was ok (i bought everytihng for it) but when I started my pb, a grey screen appeared with a huge scsi symbol on it sliding from left to right with the number 2 on it and then nothing. I restarted the pb without the cdrom and after a long time with the happy macintosh working ... (glups) it worked again ...
What does it mean ? Should I use # 2 as scsi number for the scsi peripheral ?

Any idea ...

Thanks in adavance

CCA

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  08:27:50
Like i said, either your SCSI adapter plug has the wrong setting, or you're using the wrong cable on the 540c. Not to be nitpicky or anyhing, but can you please direct your technical questions to the appropriate forums? (e.g: LC475 questions in the LC/Performa forum) Just to make it easier and stuff.

But yeah, you have a very nice setup there, and OS 8.1 will run fine. I ran my LC475 with 20 megs under 8.1 for ages, until i ended up with a 32 meg SIMM, which promptly went straight into the 475.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cca_75
Starting Member

France
6 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  14:15:52
Yes, excuse me if I choose the wrong forum ... :-)
And thanx for your help ...

CCA

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  16:10:55
No problem.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  21:25:44
ok, you can run 8.1 on 20mb of RAM, just spend the extra time to compile various sets of different extentions for when you have different situations, ie, periphery. I ran 8.1 on a duo 2300c with 8megs of ram. it ran like molassass in january, but it did not do well.

as for the scsi logo with #2 bouncing round your screen, my guess is the cable that you have a is a SCSI disk mode cable, which is a cable that allows you to use your powerbook as an external hard drive to another desktop mac. google round for scsi disk mode. I know that it involves turning off both machines, and starting them, with some key pressed on the PB. with any luck, you should be in scsi disk mode, and see your powerbook's hard drive on your desktop mac as if it was an external hard drive. The #2 is saying that your powerbook is on scsi id 2. you can change this (if you can ever boot) in one of the powerbook control panels.

SCSI disk mode is very cool, if you know what you are doing.

in the meantime, you need a new scsi cable for connecting periphery.

CCC
CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  21:32:24
quote:

ok, you can run 8.1 on 20mb of RAM, just spend the extra time to compile various sets of different extentions for when you have different situations, ie, periphery. I ran 8.1 on a duo 2300c with 8megs of ram. it ran like molassass in january, but it did not do well.

Interesting. I thought it needed at least 12 megs to run.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

tachyon
Starting Member

Australia
29 Posts
Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  21:10:04
Aha it's been awhile hasn't it? What about termination, is there a terminator on the back of that external CD-ROM? Much more likely that the 7.5 on there has the CD extension disabled or deleted.

Yes, the powerbook is going into SCSI Disk Mode (or "Target Mode" as it's called now) because of the cable used, or, if it has a switch then it's on the wrong setting.

But I don't recall having to hold down a key on the old powerbooks, only the new ones that have firewire, you have to hold down the "T" key.

BTW, OSes will work with less than the "minimum" amount of RAM if you install them onto a machine with the correct amount of RAM and then shutdown and remove some RAM. The OS should automatically increase the Virtual Memory settings to compensate. Don't forget RAMDoubler v1 or v2 is useful in situations like these.

~~
Master 68k liberator. Too many to list. Personal collection includes SE, Classic, Classic II, IIsi (w/NetBSD) IIvx, LC, LCIII, 2x LC475, Quadra950 (with PPC card) Centris 610, PB145,PB520,PB190 In progress: Performa580 (& some PowerMacs)Go to Top of Page

dave1212

Canada
65 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  12:14:59
There are 2 possible explanations:

If you have the SCSI Dock connector (the small L-shaped one) you can use it with any SCSI peripheral.

If, on the other hand, you have a short cable adapter that goes to SCSI then you can only use that for what's called SCSI Target Disk Mode. This cable forces the powerbook to act as though it's an external SCSI hard drive to any computer that it's attached to. This action is just like the feature on the newer Apple laptops, called Firewire Target Disk Mode.
You can use the Powerbook Setup Control Panel to choose the SCSI ID for your powerbook.

If you're having problems with using a CD-ROM with the dock connector, make sure you have the extension called Apple CDROM or something to that effect.

I'm using an AppleCD 150, set to SCSI ID 7.

Liberated 68xxx Macs:
IIsi, IIci, LC II, 2 Classic IIs

Liberated PowerPC Macs:
Powerbook 5300cs.

Posting from a Dual 450 G4, running 10.1, 10.2.3, and 9.2.1 on separate drives. 512 RAM, 90 GB HD.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.