Balloon Help
 Networking a Plus and a PC
Author Topic  
jl_plus
Starting Member

7 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  15:10:25
Hi,
I've been googling this a bit today, and am getting a bit confused. What hardware do I need to connect my Plus to an Ethernet network? What software will I need to assign an IP address to my Plus, and:

1) COnnect to the network and transfer files to/from the PC
2) Use my router as a gateway to connect to the INternet
3) Use a terminal software to ssh (telnet) into a remote host

Many thanks for any/all help with this

James

Bugsi
Starting Member

USA
38 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  20:22:14
Some info to get you started:
The Plus doesn't have any hardware ethernet, or any expansion ports to add an ethernet card. So to start off, my recommendation is that *if you have a genuine need or use for ethernet on a compact mac*, then pick up an SE/30. All compact Macs are available in the used market pretty much for the asking. But the SE/30 will give you the best performance in the orginal compact Mac form factor, and adding an ethernet card is straightforward. Asante cards are available in the $10 on ebay.

Getting back to your actual question, presuming you are simply, like the rest of us, crazy, and actually want to network your Plus with your PCs. . .

Since the Plus doesn't have ethernet, your options are: SCSI to etherent adapter, (usually by Dayna), or Localtalk to Ethernet hardware bridge (Asante, Dayna, or Farallon) -which gives you the physical connection of ethernet, but only the performance of Localtalk. And finally, if you have another Mac in your network that does have ethernet, you could localtalk your Plus to that Mac, and run the LocalTalk Bridge software on that Mac, which will effectively put your Plus on the EtherLAN, but again at only Localtalk speeds. (Handy for internet access, though!)

Since you're talking about doing things that require software, I'm hoping your Plus has a couple hard drives hooked up to it, and that you're not planning on doing this from a pair of say, 400K floppies.

Presuming you've got external hard drives, start out with MacOS 7.5.3. It's a bit of a pain to get installed, but it works. You can go two ways: Install MacOS 7.5, then run the OS 7.5.3 revision 2 update, or if you can get ahold of an actual 7.5.3 bootable installer disk, just run that. But to do that you'll need a bootable 7.5 on another hard drive in order to boot and run the 7.5.3 installer.

Once you're running 7.5.3 on the Plus and you connect either a SCSI-Etherent adapter, or a Localtalk-Ethernet adapter, or network your Plus to an EtherLAN Mac running Localtalk Bridge, you can configure your Plus to use your router using the MacTCP control panel.

Once you're doing all that, any 68K telnet client should work fine (BetterTelNet FAT) on your Plus.

Swapping files with a PC requires that either your PC speak Mac (Appletalk), or your Mac speak PC (NetBeui or other protocol), or that you run an internet-based file server (FTP) on either the Mac or PC. It's probably easier to set up an FTP server on the PC and use a 68K ftp client on the Plus (Fetch), but there are 3rd party Appletalk solutions for PCs (Miramar's PCmacLAN) and the Server versions of Windows has Appletalk and Services For Macintosh built-in. Alternatively one can add PC protocols to a Mac using products like Thursby's DAVE or MacSOHO, but these aren't going to run on a Plus. Still, I'm a fan of MacSOHO, which adds NetBeui protocol to the Mac. Modern Macs running OSX can communicate to PCs over SMB. But that's out of the realm of your Plus.

When swapping files between Macs and PCs beware the typical cross-platform bugaboos like 8.3 filename conventions on PCs, use of nonstandard characters in filenames, and PCs ignorance of the resource fork in Mac files. (Either binhex all your files, or use a Win Server OS -NT server or Win2k server- which are Mac-file aware using Services for Macintosh.

Good basic info can be found at http://www.macwindows.com
but many solutions there will be beyond the capabilities of a Mac Plus.

Still, it can most certainly be done, if you're crazy and patient enough.

SE, Classic II, SE/30, IIcx, IIci, IIx, IIfx, LCIII => Q605 (the mega-upgrade)
PB190cs, Duo2300c
PM6100, PM8100, PM8500, Beige G3, 17" G4 iMacGo to Top of Page

jl_plus
Starting Member

7 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  21:28:17
quote:

Some info to get you started:
The Plus doesn't have any hardware ethernet, or any expansion ports to add an ethernet card. So to start off, my recommendation is that *if you have a genuine need or use for ethernet on a compact mac*, ...

Getting back to your actual question, presuming you are simply, like the rest of us, crazy, and actually want to network your Plus with your PCs. . .

hehe. No, I have no genuine need. I just inherited a Plus, I love classic computers and I'd like to do something fun/useful with it. I spend a lot of time doing tasks via telnet all day, so thought it would be nice to use my Plus as a little telnet console, just for fun.

quote:

Since the Plus doesn't have ethernet, your options are: SCSI to etherent adapter, (usually by Dayna), or Localtalk to Ethernet hardware bridge ...

Yes, no other Macs, so it'd have to be SCSI/Localtalk to Ethernet.

Would this do the trick:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2739264307&category=171

quote:

Since you're talking about doing things that require software, I'm hoping your Plus has a couple hard drives hooked up to it, and that you're not planning on doing this from a pair of say, 400K floppies.

Hm, how did you know? Yes, this machine only has a pair of 400k floppies. I really only want to get a terminal application going to begin with. Is it feasible to do this from floppies? Assuming the drivers for the Ethernet device come on a 400k readable floppy, does the basic floppy based operating system include everything I need for TCP/IP ?

quote:

Swapping files with a PC requires that either your PC speak Mac (Appletalk), ...
Still, it can most certainly be done, if you're crazy and patient enough.

The FTP server route would be the easiest thing for me initially I think. Don't really have that many Mac <> PC file transfer needs, except to get the initial applications on there, which I might have to do by null modem cable by the sound of it.

Yeah, I think I'm crazy enough to try and make this work with the Plus ;)

Does the Plus take internal SCSI drives, or do I have to go external. Don't want to bug you too much, where should I look for more info. about putting HDs on the Plus?

Thanks very much for the information.

James

Go to Top of Page

Bugsi
Starting Member

USA
38 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  23:41:43
Bug us all you like, that's kind of the whole point here!

No, the Plus doesn't take any internal hard drives. With a Plus, you're all about external SCSI, and also, there's the Apple serial hard drive that plugs into the external floppy port. (if I recall, it also has a pass-through port to plug your external floppy into). If you want one I've got one you can have for the cost of shipping it. It has a form factor that has the same footprint of the compact Macs, so it normally goes underneath the Plus. I'd have to poke around to find it, it's around here *somewhere.* I don't recall what size drive is in them, 10 megs? 20 megs? Anyone?

I might be going out on a limb here, and anyone more recently familiar with a Plus can chime in, but I don't think a floppy-based OS has room for the extra network extensions needed for TCP/IP. I'd insist on a hard drive though.

PB190cs, Duo2300c

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  00:24:14
Mac Plus, is that the same as a 512k? I used to have one of them, but I sold it for ten bucks (I can't stand anything with less than an 040 processor anynore ) Anyway, an external hard drive is easy and cheap enough to set up, and then the options are endless...well except for not having ethernet You could connect a modem and telnet through that (although that means you need to make a phone call, unless you can work out how to get two modems to talk directly to each other) You may be able to get a RS485 (or whatevr protocol) to RS232 converter and connect the Plus to a PC via their printer and parallel ports respectively, then telnet through that. Just an idea anyway.... personally I'd ditch the plus and get a Classic, Classic II, Colour Classic, SE or SE/30 and add an ethernet card.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedic

Edited by - flash on 05 Jul 2003 00:25:15Go to Top of Page

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  06:06:44
quote:
Mac Plus, is that the same as a 512k?

The model after. Came with 1Mb as standard and a SCSI port.

A few points: You'll definitely need 4Mb in the Plus, if hasn't got it already. 4x30pin 1mb SIMMs, and you need to snip a few resistors.

Hard drives: The Apple floppy drive hard drive is 20Mb. Theres more info about the drives you can get and their sizes here:
http://njcc.com/~hjohnson/m_scsi.html#HD20

Jobf.Go to Top of Page

jl_plus
Starting Member

7 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  06:59:34
quote:

[quote]
A few points: You'll definitely need 4Mb in the Plus, if hasn't got it already. 4x30pin 1mb SIMMs, and you need to snip a few resistors.

Hard drives: The Apple floppy drive hard drive is 20Mb. Theres more info about the drives you can get and their sizes here:
http://njcc.com/~hjohnson/m_scsi.html#HD20

Jobf.

Can I survive on 1Mb, or will stuff just not work?

'About the Finder' shows Total Memory: 1,024k.

What spec. SIMMs can I use, I've found these different ones available from various places:

1x8, 70ns
1x9, 70ns
1x9, 80ns

James

Go to Top of Page

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  03:04:24
quote:
Can I survive on 1Mb, or will stuff just not work?

Not with System 7.5.3. You really do need 4Mb in a Plus for it to be anywhere near usable.

This place has 1Mb SIMMs for the Plus available for 0.98cents each:
http://www.memoryx.net/macplus.html

You could just get them off eBay aswell, but at least if you get them from this place you can send them back if they don't work.

Jobf
Go to Top of Page

Bugsi
Starting Member

USA
38 Posts
Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  12:13:50
Yes, you DEFINITELY have to have 4 megs of RAM. This is NOT an option if you're going to network a Plus. (4) 1-meg, 30-pin simms should be so insanely inexpensive that you should not even consider this a problem. The most expensive thing you're going to have to get is that SCSI to ethernet adapter you saw on eBay.

Great link to info on the Hard Disk 20!
(they want $49 for one! BwaHahahahahaha!)

So I dug mine up, and I've offered to GIVE IT to jl-plus for the cost of shipping, but I'm trying to test it first (I don't want him to be stuck with my junk if it doesn't work), so I hooked it up to an SE/30 to test it. It definitely powers up and sounds good, but the SE/30 doesn't see it. Couldn't see it from Apple HD SC Setup, or FWB Hard Disk Toolkit. It occurs to me that it isn't a SCSI drive, so. . .

Anyone recall what software one uses to format and set up one of those pieces of history????

PB190cs, Duo2300c

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 10 Jul 2003 :  06:36:32
The HD20 doesn't work with an SE/30 by default. See:
http://www.mac512.com/hd20.htm

JobfGo to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  22:40:09
Years ago I had a SE that I wanted to use on the Net. I got a modem cable and null modem adater and pluged it into my Linux router. Set it up for terminal access and use the termail software on my Mac to access it. I think I used the software that came with claris works. It worked pretty well.

--Eric

stonent

USA
155 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  13:59:46
http://www.mochasoft.dk

They make a program (free demo) that turns a PC into a PPP server for Palm or Windows CE systems. So you "dial in" to your PC and it shares your network connection. You could probably get your mac to do it with a null modem cable, then PPP into your PC.

SE 4/2000/FDHD/7.0.1 :)
Q840av - Alive!
Q650 64/2000/A/UX Woot!
SGI Indy R5000SC
2 Sparc Classics, 1 IPC, 1 SS4, 1 SS5
Stonent's Sun Collectors forum ;)Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  19:53:55
hope this helps (taken from the Links section of the official 68k mla site)

The Quick & Dirty Network for Macs & PCs
http://www.kan.org/networking/quicknet.html

--------------------
master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

wisof

USA
257 Posts
Posted - 01 Aug 2003 :  09:38:35
FireWire, you always have sick links! Or maybe I am not looking hard enough?

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.