All Forums
 Mac II Line
 I still love my IIsi more than any other Macs
Author Topic  
Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  22:31:45

Given the dearth of things in here, I felt like re-affirming my love for my IIsi. Unfortunately, space in the apartment is limited, so it stays at my parents' house. Before I left for school again, I played with it. It may only have 5 MB RAM, and a 40 MB HD, but the very sound of its startup chime, the whirr of the HD, all the little things that I am so familiar with...
I hope she never goes away. My first Mac (actually an LC III was, but it was borrowed. this one is owned) and my first true love.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  23:30:05
quote:

Given the dearth of things in here, I felt like re-affirming my love for my IIsi. Unfortunately, space in the apartment is limited, so it stays at my parents' house. Before I left for school again, I played with it. It may only have 5 MB RAM, and a 40 MB HD, but the very sound of its startup chime, the whirr of the HD, all the little things that I am so familiar with...
I hope she never goes away. My first Mac (actually an LC III was, but it was borrowed. this one is owned) and my first true love.

They're pretty little things, and I'm surprised the case wasn't used for more than just that one model!. I still don't have one, and would love to rescue a needy IIsi.

A 6500's internals would have to fit in there too, given enough poking.

dana :D

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  07:42:28
Man, I loved my IIsi. It came from my uncle 'on permanent loan', but later he proved just how un-permanent it could be...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  10:01:40
Back in 1992 I clearly remember going to CompUSA with my dad to look for a new computer to replace my Plus. It had been out for a couple years, but still I fell in love with the IIsi on the spot, seeing it there for the first time. I was drooling over the high-end model, which had 8MB of RAM and a generous 160MB hard drive. The CPU only, with no monitor or inpute devices, was US$1,000. We couldn't afford it at the time, so I went back home to clack away at my 4/80 Plus.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  10:23:07
quote:

Back in 1992 I clearly remember going to CompUSA with my dad to look for a new computer to replace my Plus. It had been out for a couple years, but still I fell in love with the IIsi on the spot,

*snuffle*... you've made me remember the first time I saw them. I took a look in the mac labs when I was at uni, and saw these odd looking monitors - a roomfull of portrait displays on top of IIsi's. I sat down to have a play, and was amazed at the clarity. I can remember even then stroking the curve along the front and thinking what a neat little design it was... :)

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  10:37:33
quote:

*snuffle*... you've made me remember the first time I saw them. I took a look in the mac labs when I was at uni, and saw these odd looking monitors - a roomfull of portrait displays on top of IIsi's.

A freakin' room FULL OF PORTRAITS! What kind of school was it?
jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  10:44:13
quote:

A freakin' room FULL OF PORTRAITS! What kind of school was it?

The uni is well known for Computing, Media and Nursing - the media students were the ones who used macs at the time, particularly those doing journalism threads. Portrait displays were made for dtp so thats what the uni used them for :D.

One of the overflow rooms had equipment that didn't fit anywhere else well, but was put into use. There were a couple of LC's and IIgs's used as telnet terminals into one of the unix systems.

Then a few years later they all went to PC's :(. Not just PC's but particularly ugly ones.

dana (too much style... nearly enough substance)

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  23:47:33
The Mac IIsi was the perfect Macintosh for Apple A/UX soon to be on the Mac IIsi im getting

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napoleon

Covert Ops
Creator of the 68k Digital Hub
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2002 :  23:35:05
I thought A/UX needed an 68040? Or do you have an accelerator board for it?

The IIsi is cool, but fairly slow.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2002 :  03:56:05
quote:

I thought A/UX needed an 68040? Or do you have an accelerator board for it?

The IIsi is cool, but fairly slow.

00013 Macs liberated.

Nope. It will run on an '030 as well. As a matter of fact, i think i remember reading that the IIsi was the cheapest Mac you could get that supported A/UX. I also recall IIci's being supported too.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  21:32:23
quote:

I'm surprised the case wasn't used for more than just that one model!

Bleh. The IIsi's top cover is a pain in the ass to put back on.

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2002 :  21:36:57
quote:

Bleh. The IIsi's top cover is a pain in the ass to put back on.

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™

Agreed.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  06:49:13
I third the motion...

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  19:13:11

The si is a breeze to put back on, compared to say, a 6400, or almost any PC

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 17 Feb 2002 :  19:39:17
quote:

Or a 4400! 8100! 800! 840!.

800's do get a bit of a dud reputation for bad cases - once the metal outside is off, I'm impressed by the rest of it - clips clips and more clips and it all falls to pieces.

dana (don't remove my hairclip, my brain will fall out)

Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  10:51:36

Ugh... I didn't mention the 4400 to try and mask my shame at having had one as my main machine for a few years.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  11:18:51
quote:

Ugh... I didn't mention the 4400 to try and mask my shame at having had one as my main machine for a few years.

Were they all that bad? I haven't used one myself, just heard of the fun everyone else has with opening them, slicing their fingers up on the PC-like innards, and all the pain of getting them back together again without bending something.

dana

Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  14:19:24

Yes, they were that bad. After the first time i opened mine up, I had to use pliers to get the case to a point where the screw-holes lined up again. What the bleeding hell was Apple thinking? The IIsi was easy- thumbs on tabs, case pops off. Same with Apple IIGS. Then with most power macs, there are all these screws and whatnot to deal with. The B&W G4 was 'innovative' because it finally got back to the simplicity that the 68k macs had all along...

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 18 Feb 2002 :  14:26:02
quote:

Yes, they were that bad.

quote:

After the first time i opened mine up, I had to use pliers to get the case to a point where the screw-holes lined up again. What the bleeding hell was Apple thinking?

Apple were thinking "Let's get Acer to make a mac-compatible with the apple logo". So I've heard, anyhoo.

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  07:51:49
I opened up my 950 at the auction inspection and accidentally broke off the lower clip, should've got it since I ended up buying it...

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  14:40:12
quote:

quote:

Or a 4400! 8100! 800! 840!.

800's do get a bit of a dud reputation for bad cases - once the metal outside is off, I'm impressed by the rest of it - clips clips and more clips and it all falls to pieces.

dana (don't remove my hairclip, my brain will fall out)

Yeah, but how do you start it up while still having ready access to the logic board? I've tested out ram in an 8100 before and it was a pain up the ass...have to keep installing and removing the logic board all the time.

quote:
The B&W G4 was 'innovative' because it finally got back to the simplicity that the 68k macs had all along...

Did they make a B&W G4, did they? I knew they made B&W G3s, and graphite and QuickSilver G4s, but not Blue and White G4s...

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  15:34:22
No, there never were blue and white G4's (although some people have hacked there first-gen G4's into B&W G3 cases).

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  17:06:36
although they got a graphite case change, the first-gen G4s might just as well been in a Blue and White case considering they were just Yosmite boards with the 7400 slapped on...

--------------------
Spellcheck/Grammar Bandit and beholder of:
-the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
-the HTML Keyboard of Greater Knowledge™
-Compact Mac Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip™

--------------------Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  05:18:41
quote:

Yeah, but how do you start it up while still having ready access to the logic board? I've tested out ram in an 8100 before and it was a pain up the ass...have to keep installing and removing the logic board all the time.

Turn it upside down, so it's standing on its cdrom/rear face... the motherboard can then fold-down and.. ta-dah! you have access to -stuff-. It doesn't have to be together to be on!

Of course... thats a clumsy way to do it all the same...

dana

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  06:12:42
quote:

although they got a graphite case change, the first-gen G4s might just as well been in a Blue and White case considering they were just Yosmite boards with the 7400 slapped on...

and the ADB port removed.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  09:43:08
Did the Yikes! models have the internal firewire port? Now there's a vaporware example!

00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  15:15:15
quote:

Did the Yikes! models have the internal firewire port? Now there's a vaporware example!

00014 Macs liberated.

I dunno. I know the early early Sawtooths (around the same time as the Yikes!) had it.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2002 :  20:15:55

Okay, okay, the '3' and '4' keys are close to each other and I didn't bother looking over the post. I meant B&W G3. Of course, the case for the G4s is almost exactly the same anyway.

Internal firewire port? what?

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

~Coxy

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Mar 2002 :  05:36:49
It's on the first model G4s, but I can't remember if the Yikes! mobo had it, or just the Sawtooth ones.

00014 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2002 :  06:16:13
quote:

It's on the first model G4s, but I can't remember if the Yikes! mobo had it, or just the Sawtooth ones.

00014 Macs liberated.

probably just the SawTooths. Remember, the Yikes! retained the old mobo from the B&W G3.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 08 Aug 2002 :  22:44:36
I got a IIsi today, and I love it.

Even though I haven'e turned it on yet!

the only problem with mine is that there's some sort of clip things on the side, was someone hanging it from their ceiling?

Go to Top of Page

aftermac

USA
80 Posts
Posted - 09 Aug 2002 :  11:30:58
The IIsi was my first computer as well. It had the best case Apple ever put a Mac mobo in until the B&W G3 (although I may be biased ). The IIsi served as my main computer until I bought an iMac in 1998, and still boots when needed today.

Contrary to what some may think the IIsi's case was very easy to get in and out of, having opened and closed mine hunderds of times without a problem. The only "problem" with the IIsi is the internal speaker that cuts in and out whenever it feels like... a quick smack to the side allows it to make contact with the motherboard once again.

Such good memories...

Aftermac

A bandoned, F orgotten, T ortured, E ndangered, R etro, M acintosh, A cquisition, C ommando

5 Apples, 23 liberated 68k's, 9 contraband PPC's, and a Duo DockGo to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 09 Aug 2002 :  20:22:22
wow! it seems like a lot of people have had a mac IIsi as a first mac, including me! but at that point it had a second monitor, 64MB ram, a 3GB HD, and I heard that my teacher had somehow hacked 3 nubus riser cards (on the PDS splitter that 4 ports) into the thing, so it was connected to the schools 10-BaseT network, and I think it had one of the thunder series Nubus vidcards! (we had a very nice school because we had a super high end PPC clone too) but now it has a 230MB hard drive, 16MB ram (because I put it there, it only had the base ram when I got it) and an 800K disk drive... oh well. I was glad to find my simcity saved games still there, because everyone was too scared to use the mac, so I got to use it every library period, and I kept putting my cities in massive firestorms and floods just because I felt like distroying it, and when it was in rubble, I just loaded it up, and started all over again, exept putting trees, and removing water where I want it to just go up in flames! [}:)} hehehhe. such good times, but now i am a warped teenager with voices that get annoyed if I eavesdrop.

THnx
"mac portables are fun, but only when they draw power from the battery"

Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  17:31:45
Being the self-affirmed '030 nut I am I have to say the IIsi is the sexiest Mac II by far. It's also the third sexiest '030 machine after the LCIII in the old thin-slot style (introduced on the LC at the same launch!) floppy and the Mac (Color) Classics (Classic II, CC and CCII).
I only have a few reservation about them, all internal. The RAM is a bit limited, being 4 slots is one, the PDS/NuBus slot thingy is another, I think a PDS slot and 1 NuBus slot would have been far better. Other than that it was a reasonably well executed machine.

The case deisgn, with the curve in the front, stuck on almost all desktop Apple cases up until the B&W G3 did away with the Beige case. The actual case was probably the basis for the 6x0 LC/Quadra/Performa and also the Quadra 650/7100 "case of hell", which went on to influence the 7x00/Beige G3 case which was a work of art from an practical point of view, if not entirely flattering as an aesthetic piece.

As for A/UX it'll run on any non-LC/Performa/Portable machine with a 68030 or better. I have had it running on an SE/30 before now - it's kinda slow but it gets there :). 20MB RAM is fine but a 500MB hard disk is a must if you actually intend to do anything with it as far as server services/storage is concerned.

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises
Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Aug 2002 :  17:37:54
quote:

The case deisgn, with the curve in the front, stuck on almost all desktop Apple cases up until the B&W G3 did away with the Beige case.

it's still there, it's just a concaive surface now!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2002 :  20:20:25
quote:

Being the self-affirmed '030 nut I am I have to say the IIsi is the sexiest Mac II by far. It's also the third sexiest '030 machine after the LCIII in the old thin-slot style (introduced on the LC at the same launch!) floppy and the Mac (Color) Classics (Classic II, CC and CCII).
I only have a few reservation about them, all internal. The RAM is a bit limited, being 4 slots is one, the PDS/NuBus slot thingy is another, I think a PDS slot and 1 NuBus slot would have been far better. Other than that it was a reasonably well executed machine.

Funny, to me the IIsi always seemed a little like Robin Williams' bit bout God being on drugs when he made the platypus.

Let's see... we'll take a IIci, but downclock it to 20mhz. Then we'll take out the Nubus slots, give it the PDS from an SE/30 and audio input. Then, just for laughs put it in an LC case on steroids.

Makes sense to me... :)

<<<John>>>

Go to Top of Page

SiliconValleyPirate

United Kingdom
273 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2002 :  02:06:24
quote:

it's still there, it's just a concaive surface now!

Nope - the front of the Aqua G3/4 towers are flat, especially the Blue and Graphite versions. The QS and QS2002 cases are moulded to trick the eye into thinking they are curved when they actually aren't.

However if you want subtle curves run your hand over the side (yeh I know I'm a sad dude 'cause I stroke Macs but hry ). The side panel is relly nicely curved in a a subtle way, yet it still sits flat on the desk when folded down - weird!!!

Besides all this I think the curve in the front of the 8x0(0)/9500 cases is much nicer - it's just a little 'speed bum' - like the one on the roof

Hmmmmmm..... curves.......

quote:

Funny, to me the IIsi always seemed a little like Robin Williams' bit bout God being on drugs when he made the platypus.

Let's see... we'll take a IIci, but downclock it to 20mhz. Then we'll take out the Nubus slots, give it the PDS from an SE/30 and audio input. Then, just for laughs put it in an LC case on steroids.

Makes sense to me... :)

Well at least Apple didn't make it but ugly. The reason everyine likes it is it's a Mac II but it's not either in a case the size and weight of Fort Knox or a brick shaped case. It's in a svelt curved desktop case that just looks so nice with a monitor on top of it.

--
Mark Benson

FlatPackMacs http://fpm.gotdns.com

2nd Lieutenant - 68kMLA, LC Quartermaster
Flat Packing Macs for 68k MLA airlift excercises
Macs Liberated = 14!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 Aug 2002 :  03:19:59
quote:

However if you want subtle curves run your hand over the side (yeh I know I'm a sad dude 'cause I stroke Macs but hry ).

Don't worry, i stroke the vents on the top of my iMac all the time...

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 26 Aug 2002 :  17:50:59
quote:

Don't worry, i stroke the vents on the top of my iMac all the time...

Yeah, so that's what they call it these days, eh?

--------------------
keeper of the website , master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™, and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2002 :  00:33:31
quote:
Yeah, so that's what they call it these days, eh?

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer" - Unkown

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 31 Aug 2002 :  10:03:39
heheheheh! whenever I need the SCSI enclosure for my removable winchester drive cartrage thing, I stroke all the little, lukewarm pores on the top of my beige G3 AIO... heheh...

THnx
"you have exactly 12¢ in your bank account. would you like to make a withdrawl?"

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.