All Forums
 Balloon Help
 OS 8.1 install while in X
Author Topic  
seven
Starting Member

11 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  18:31:59
I have a hard drive that I want to move from my iMac to a Performa 631CD. I would like to keep all of my OS X files on it so that I can easily back up when I install a new drive in the iMac. Is there a way to install OS 8.1 while I am running X? Can I do it without running the installer? Thanks for any help.

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  19:10:00
Well, you could try to run the OS 8 installer from OS X's Classic environment, but it would probably fail -- the installer checks the HD even if you have the "update disk driver" option turned off, and the installer would freak out because Classic doesn't allow direct access to the hardware. Also, I imagine that the installer would see your iMac's HD as the startup device, and it would therefore refuse to install onto it.

The only way I know to get OS 8 on an OS X hard drive is to attach another hard drive (or perhaps a CD-R or ZIP disk) that already has an OS 8 installation on it, and copy the System Folder onto the OS X hard drive. If you do that, however, be careful. You need to make sure the OS 8 System Folder is "blessed" and the OS 9.2 System Folder (used by OS X for "Classic" environment) is unblessed. Otherwise, when you transfer the hd to the 631, it will try to start up in OS 9.2 and will of course fail.

All the foregoing said, I must (gently) recommend that you think twice before doing this. Running a pre-OS X version of Mac OS -- particularly one as early as OS 8, particularly on such a primitive IDE implementation as the 630 series, and particularly using disk drivers from another OS version (9.2) -- might very well introduce enough disk corruption to prevent successful booting into OS X if you reconnect the drive to your iMac in an emergency.

M

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
- "PowerMystic" Color Classic, 66MHz PPC601 card, full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, OS 8.1
- "Mystic" Color Classic, full '040, 36/700/enet, OS 8.1
- Q605 overclocked to 33MHz, full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, 8.1, Debian Woody

Edited by - tmtomh on 02 Jul 2003 19:14:51Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  19:32:07
Your best bet is to backup your Mac OS X files and burn them to CD or upload them to a website or e-mail them to yourself providing they aren't too many, then put the drive in the older mac, re partition it so it has drivers that are made for the older mac etc. Then you can put the X files back on the drive.

:)

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.