All Forums
 PowerBook
 540c battery software?
Author Topic  
noirwest

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  19:54:57
Is my memory playing tricks on me or did someone at sometime actually sell software designed to 're-educate' the batteries for the 500 series PowerBook? I have about an hour's worth of run time using both batteries, 7.6.1, no color, you know, the minimal things required to get by in a classroom. Oh, and it has been upgraded to 133mhz but still has the original pipsqueak 320mb drive.
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  20:29:39
quote:

Is my memory playing tricks on me or did someone at sometime actually sell software designed to 're-educate' the batteries for the 500 series PowerBook? I have about an hour's worth of run time using both batteries, 7.6.1, no color, you know, the minimal things required to get by in a classroom. Oh, and it has been upgraded to 133mhz but still has the original pipsqueak 320mb drive.

There are 2 utilities which may help you here... the first is Apple's own Intelligent Battery Update from:

ftp://ftp.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/PowerBook/Other_PB_SW/

The other is Battery Amnesia from:

http://www.kezer.net/amnesia.html

Using these two, I took my 540c's two batteries from barely 10 minutes power to a very useful few hours - not quite the 2 hours per battery you could (apparently) get when new, but certainly usable :).

You should only need to run the Intelligent Battery Update once on each battery - it may fail and say your battery needs to be returned. One of my batteries had this happen, but it was still fixed :).

Battery Amnesia may need to be run several times, to de-charge the battery as far as possible, then re-charge again. Run that through a few times and you should see increases in battery life with each cycle :). From what I've read about 5xx batteries, they run best if completely drained like this about once a month - I'm sure someone will correct my if thats dud!

hope that helps :D
dana

Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  22:25:32

These utilities don't work on the NiCads, right?

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

noirwest

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  22:44:15
Thanks, downloading while I type this, will post a progress report.

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  23:41:31
quote:

These utilities don't work on the NiCads, right?

The first one, the intelligent battery update, does what's very roughly like a pram reset and firmware update :D. It resets any false/unusable data on the battery's ram changes the battery firmware so's it doesn't cause the problem again... (from what I understand, anyhows). It should be independent of the battery type, although it is only designed for the 5xx battery firmware... which are NiMH. The 2nd utility - battery amnesia - says it works on both NiMH and NiCad powered powerbooks - and will work in LiIon ones also but as they don't have the memory effect that limits charging it's useless (but harmless).

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  07:58:01
Use EMMpathy, made by VST to recondition and check 500 series Intelligent batteries. I had a heck of a time finding it, but it's on the Hotline server now, I believe. I had some success with my two batteries, they add up to give an average battery life now.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  00:00:05
Yes, I agree with ~Coxy about getting EMMpathy, if you have any trouble with getting it off the 68k MLA Hotline server I'd be happy to send you an email with it, I got 20 mins back on my batterys in my 520!

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napoleon

Covert Ops
Creator of the 68k Digital Hub
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:16Go to Top of Page

noirwest

USA
59 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  00:09:15
Hotline server, hmmmmmm, code perhaps? Wherefore might I find such a thing as a hotline server? I used battery amnesia and it did for sure drain things down to zero and then I let them recharge and used the apple battery intelligent recharger and both batteries failed. Not sure if they really did as they are both aftermarket brands but I'm pretty sure that empathy was what I was thinking of when I started this. You wouldn't happen to have two spare copies of that laying around, would you?

Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2002 :  17:27:01
I know this isn't really 68k related but all you guys are way more knowing about mac "stuff" than me so here goes, Do they have a piece of software or something to recondition Powerbook 3400c batteries?

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Christophillis-
Privite First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  07:26:07
No, you don't recondition the 3400 batteries, since they are LiIon batts. You can get them professionally re-celled, tho.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.