All Forums
 Balloon Help
 ColorSync 17 Inch - Dark Picture
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  17:58:36
This question is regarding my ColorSync 17" Monitor. Are they usually dark picture wise? I'm not using a Mac so I don't have the AppleVision software to adjust software wise. I was reading through the Apple knowledge base and did find out it was somewhat dependant on software.

I'm using it on my Windows box and some applications that play videos or games the screen is really dark. Like Quake 3 for example, some of the maps are so dark I just can't play them. And alot of DVD's and movies the screen colors are darker because I compared it to my dad's 15".

So, is this the sign of an aging CRT or is it just another glitch or "feature" of the Trinitron tubes.

:) Thanks

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  06:35:51
Methinks you have one of the buggier 1710s. Try hooking it up to a Mac with the AppleVision software installed, and see what happens.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  07:47:37
That big smilie icon you use believe it or not is starting to annoy me. lol

It just seems too non lifelike. It's funny it never bothered me before but now I see it so often. It's a trick! I'm surounded by emoticons!

And yeah I will hook it up to the mac when I have a chance.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  17:34:14
lol, which smilie icon? This one?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Bugsi
Starting Member

USA
38 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  23:59:39
There's usually two pots on the flyback transformer inside the monitor. One is focus, the other can be tweaked up a hair using a plastic adjustment tool (radio shack) to bring up your monitor's brightness.

You have to do this with the thing *on* though, so you have to take precautions to not kill yourself. It's not a difficult adjustment, but the possibility of getting killed is there, so you either have to be reasonably cautious, or have a TV or monitor repair person do this for you.

SE, Classic II, SE/30, IIcx, IIci, IIx, IIfx, LCIII => Q605 (the mega-upgrade)
PB190cs, Duo2300c
PM6100, PM8100, PM8500, Beige G3, 17" G4 iMacGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  12:29:22
he didn't say he had a 1710 ;)

I think he has the ColorSync 750

same deal though iThink...

Maybe you could find another one (dead or alive) and make one "relly good working one" out of them

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  16:43:15
I know, but i do believe that the ColourSync 750 and the AppleVision 1710 have quite a bit in common. They look and function the same, and as far as specifications go, the only thing the 750 has over the 1710 is a slightly better dot pitch.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

tachyon
Starting Member

Australia
29 Posts
Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  17:28:23
maclover is correct, in the earlier post about connecting to a Mac. Before opening up the machine and boosting the voltage pot on the flyback, I would use the AppleVision software and click "Calibrate". Then wait a couple of minutes while it does its thing. As it is a digital monitor, this can improve picture quality dramatically as there are color and brightness meters built-in to the monitor, so it can compensate for an aging CRT to some degree.

~~
Master 68k liberator. Too many to list. Retained collection includes SE, Classic, Classic II, IIsi (w/NetBSD) IIvx, LC, LCIII, LC475, Quadra950 (with PPC card) PB145,PB520,PB190, and many contraband Powermacs.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  17:36:26
Exactly. My working 1710AV is 6 years old, and the colour is still as accurate as the brand new monitor on my Dell, if not more accurate. It's a terriffic monitor.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

tachyon
Starting Member

Australia
29 Posts
Posted - 04 Aug 2003 :  19:06:14
maclover is correct, in the earlier post about connecting to a Mac. Before opening up the machine and boosting the voltage pot on the flyback, I would use the AppleVision software and click "Calibrate". Then wait a couple of minutes while it does its thing. As it is a digital monitor, this can improve picture quality dramatically as there are color and brightness meters built-in to the monitor, so it can compensate for an aging CRT to some degree.

~~
Master 68k liberator. Too many to list. Retained collection includes SE, Classic, Classic II, IIsi (w/NetBSD) IIvx, LC, LCIII, LC475, Quadra950 (with PPC card) PB145,PB520,PB190, and many contraband Powermacs.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.