All Forums
 Lounge
 White,cream,yellow!or green colourful computers
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  02:11:02
Well taking a note from corys, "what would you do if you were the CEO of Apple" post I've just seen that we are now discussing the colour of the computer in that post. I thought that the colour of computers may need a post all to itself.

Computers have been different colours throughout thier history, but by far the most prolific coulour(s) used tended to be the white, off white, cream or grey.

These computers certainly suffer from discolouration which can be a very unpleaseant thing to have to come to a dirty looking computer.

I clean my equipment when I can using Jif cream cleaner.

I am not keen on black because;

It hides the dirt, it is still there just not so noticable.
Remember the old Spectrum computer? & that evil keyboard that was not only tiny but difficult to distinguish the keys.

Yellow & green are lovely colours & something like a palm tree & sandy beach would make a great custom design.

Could a spray paint be used to spruce up a computer & if this was waterproof &/or washable(albeit with a damp cloth, not putting your beloved computer in the bath you understand) it could be clean bright & cheerful.

Ugliest computers ever with regaurd to colours?

1. Spectrum
2. Atari ST
3. PC's

Best looking computers?

1. Apple iMac
2. G4

I appreciate my cdr's current casing which is a deep blue & easily wipeable.

I guess keyboards & mice suffer from dirt more than anything else & often I have toyed with the idea of covering them with plastic, perhaps shrinkwrap?

My wifes family have taken to covering remote controls in plastic which works really well.

My PSOne although being about 1.5 years old still lookes good!

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  03:48:25
quote:

What?! Do you even own a black computer? You can see every spec of dust on them...

quote:
Ugliest computers ever with regaurd to colours?

1. Spectrum
2. Atari ST
3. PC's

Are you insane?!

1. The ZX Spectrum just screams "1984". It is one of the most classic computer designs ever!

2. The Atari ST pretty much introduced the cool slate grey colour back when beige (real beige, not the off-white Apple accused of being beige back in '97).

3. If you ever again dare say this machine is ugly, I will come to your door and kick you square in the nuts.

quote:
Best looking computers?

1. Apple iMac
2. G4

I assume you mean the CRT iMacs? Okay, they were sorta nice. The LCD iMac is just weird. I'll admit that that's not directly ugly, but the design doesn't have me going wild, either.

As for the G4... Yawn. I liked the design when introduced (B&W G3), but it's just waaaay too old. Been there, seen it.

Now, the G5, on the other hand...

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleep

Edited by - Alien on 02 Jul 2003 03:49:27Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  20:44:24
G5? LOVE IT!!!

I like SGI computers :fantasizing: I love the dark blues, the forest greens and maroon colors that they use

The Blue/White G3's are great

The "Offwhite" that apple has been using is called "Platinum" and now it's just "white"

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  20:59:09
When shak said small kes I guessed he waas reffering to the ZX81 or perhaps the original spectrum 48k My Spectrum +2 (with a whopping 128k of RAM) was a really nice grey.

And black doesn't hide the dirt as well as you might think, as the ownder of a black computer and numerous black clothes I can speak with confidence here. Glossy black does anything but hide the dirt!

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  21:08:58
quote:

3. If you ever again dare say this machine is ugly, I will come to your door and kick you square in the nuts.

Though I may be risking certain discomfort here, I have to say that I don't find that case very eye-pleasing.

quote:

The LCD iMac is just weird.

I admit it does look a bit... how do you say... un-computerlike. But, being a contented owner of a 15" Flat-Panel myself, I have to say the design is very good. It has a 10-inch footprint (excellent for dorm rooms) which makes it look very small and neat. You would not believe how many people think that there is a tower under the desk, because "there's no way everything is in that little screen stand" (no, that really is the whole computer). It is perfectly symmetrical except for the Apple logo on the front. The white color makes the computer seem fresh and clean, and it doesn't collect dust because of the dome shape.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  22:31:58
hehehe.. I LOVE the way that the 15" iMac looks! I think that those would be perfect computer lab type machines, in addition to the eMacs

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  22:59:46
(this is kinda offtopic, but we were briefly talking about keyboards...)

Best Keyboard Ever = IBM Model M -- part number 1391401...

mine was manufactured 30Aug88 and i'm typing on it right now. It's been dropped from 8' above a parking lot, and run through the dishwasher (to clean it, i knew it would work before i attempted it) and it still works flawlessly.

The IBM model M uses the "buckling spring" mechanism which is why its so clackety... and actually its more comfortable for me than my cheap Gateway kb and both my AppleDesign Keyboards and my Apple Pro KB (with the iMac)

anyone disagree? too bad. i'll track you down and beat you to death with my keyboard. its got a 1mm steel chassis and you don't

Owner of the Token Worthless Post
Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  23:17:14
That would be a damn nice keyboard. I had one with the old 486, I was so sad when it eventually gave into years of use and died. I gave it a nice funeral...into the bin

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  23:22:47
hehehe... on a slightly more related note...

I inspired a new topic with a topic I created!

COOL!

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  09:26:59
quote:
I assume you mean the CRT iMacs?

I don't understand the term crt
quote:
quote:

What?! Do you even own a black computer? You can see every spec of dust on them...

Well now you mention it yeah I remember as my brother in law has a black computer, however some do not attract the dust in the same way, it is to do with how they are charged look all I'm saying is that different plastics attract different dirts.

quote:

Well This machine does not inspire me to think of anything pleasant(I avoided the U word is that ok?)

quote:
When shak said small kes I guessed he waas reffering to the ZX81 or perhaps the original spectrum 48k My
Spectrum +2 (with a whopping 128k of RAM) was a really nice grey.

And black doesn't hide the dirt as well as you might think, as the ownder of a black computer and numerous
black clothes I can speak with confidence here. Glossy black does anything but hide the dirt!

You're right goth, now that silver grey thing that spectrum did I quite liked that, indeed how kitch was it just like Space 1999, & other dodgy sci-fi.

Erm yes as already discussed black may not allways hide the dirt.

Perhaps it just depends on if you have grey or black dirt where you come from

shaktiman

os 8.1
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  14:41:44
personally, i like beige computers. not just because original macs were beige, but just because i think its a very nice color for a computer.

I also think there should be more computers that are blue. Blue makes a system look exotic, even if its not.

Owner of the Token Worthless Post
Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  15:17:57
personally i like black and dark coloured computers ... they look sleek and classy ... like the TAM ... and the powerbooks for example ...

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  18:44:49
Don't ya think a forest green computer is long overdue? I mean, there's all these nature freaks that install mini streams in their living rooms so why not have a green computer? It would just blend into the background don't ya think?Go to Top of Page
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  21:13:14
quote:

Don't ya think a forest green computer is long overdue? I mean, there's all these nature freaks that install mini streams in their living rooms so why not have a green computer? It would just blend into the background don't ya think?

LOVE IT!!!

Like the SGI Octane!!! (or not...)

I think that a large cube, or something ANS700 sized, standard with a 17" monitor (we'll way 1710av) and a nice keyboard (Apple Adjustable) and a twobutton-scrolling version of the ADB mouse II... make it all forest green (or other respectable color) and we're off!

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  02:20:51
Yellow & green would be lovely for computers.

Shak hesitantly holds green & yellow spray paint & ponders.

shaktiman

os 8.1
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  02:36:23
Hmm, yellow and green? Sure they are ok colours, but on a computer, is not really suitable, well from what I like in colours for computers, its not. I like a mixture of charcoal and dark blue, well, thats what my case is going to be.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  06:07:21
Best looking cases:

1. Brand new TiBook, straight out of the box, without any scratches whatsoever...BEAUTIFUL!
2. Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh *DROOL*
3. Flat panel iMac
4. Tray loading iMac
5. B&W G3
6. Instatower (Performa 6400/6500 case)
7. LC575
8. Pizzabox LC
9. LC630 case
10. Colour Classic
11. Outrigger case (PM7500 onwards)
12. "K2" Tower case (8/9600 case)
13. Dell Dimension tower cases (Yes, i know i'm going to get flamed for this... )
14. Quadra 800/840AV/PM8100/8200/8500/9500 case

Worst:

1. That half gutted PC i have sitting in the corner of this room gathering dust with no front panel or cover
2. Virtually anything with an Ipex logo on it (Hey, shouldn't that be #1? )

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1

Edit - Ooooooooooooooooooooops! How could i possibly forget the Ti!

Edited by - maclover5 on 04 Jul 2003 06:09:17Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  20:47:53
OutRigger only made #11!!!!!

OMG!

with an Apple 15" Multiple Scan Display, an AppleDesign keyboard and a bus mouse II it's aesthetically perfect... apple logos are balanced and well placed, the speakers on the monitor are well hidden, but absolutely wonderful looking, and the AppleDesign doesn't have the ADB cables sticking out in any ugly way...

Official MLA TourGuide
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  16:25:24
No way. The OutRigger looks WAAAAAAAAAAY cooler with a 1710AV sitting on the top.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  22:08:28
I guess that that's true too

I'd like to see a K5 (or whatever the 8600's case it called) with an Avision 1710av next to it

Official MLA TourGuide
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  19:55:27
The 8600 and 9600 used the same case, the K2.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  22:07:15
it was called K2 eh?...

Official MLA TourGuide

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  05:41:00
I enjoy Metalic Black and Silver. Green is good too, it goes nice with Metalic Black if done properly. A nice dark forest green.

If at all possible stay away from Neon colors. Dark yet rich colors are the best. Something that would go good on an Cherry Oak desk.

One complaint business users had about the iMac was it didn't match many company's profiles, untill vendors shipped alternate plastics for it. One Mac salesman said something about having guts to have an iMac in a highclass place but honestly, many people don't care about what guts people have. They are converned over looks. That's one reason we have so many pesticides and dyes on our food, people are obsessed with looks.

:(

Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  16:37:50
quote:
I don't understand the term crt

Cathode Ray Tube

quote:
I guess keyboards & mice suffer from dirt more than anything else & often I have toyed with the idea of covering them with plastic, perhaps shrinkwrap?

There's a company that makes custom plastic keyboard covers that are flexible and stay on the keyboard all the time. I can't remember the name of the company, and oh yes, they are expensive.

I have a plastic bag that I cover the keyboard with anytime I'm not using it. I'd say it cuts down on about 80% of the dust that gets in there. Most of it is just dust that collects when you're not sitting at the computer.

I knew a guy who spilled beer into his keyboard. Make sure you don't spill beer in your keyboard.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  16:45:15
I spilt Coke in my keyboard earlier on in the year. Now you can't notice the difference.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  17:19:37
Ah, the joy of cola™®©Go to Top of Page
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  19:45:13
Indeed. And it only gets better when you put a little bit of rum into it....

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.