Lounge
 YAH!!! Hooked one!
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  22:26:04
so today... I get on the internet and pat (my 10 yr. old male brother) begins whining about the internet

He wants to use "the extension" (7300s other name) I tell him that I'll try to make it work... but nnot to get hopes up.

When dad comes in, he asks me if I'm keeping any Dell/Gateway catalogs (footnote 1)

I hand him the latest Gateway Catalog (Gateway Guide June 2003)

He shuffles thru it and mentions that Pat really does need a laptop

It's so that we can get rid of all these desktops.

so I have an idea and immediately start doing some research...

the 800MHz 12" iBook is $99 and it's about $1178 if it has airport card and 256 MB of RAM...
A Gateway 400sp is $1200 (low end gateway suggested configuration) and then you still have to add wireless networking, and THEN it probably wouldn't work with OSX' internet sharing...
Also, the 12" iBook has real graphics, instead of this "shared memory" crap that PC manufactures clog their factories with...

I've shown patrick the selection of mac games and believe that I've basically gotten him hooked!!!

Now I am preparing a PowerPoint presentation so as I can convince dad of similar things...

My current PAF modification points are,
- the iBook is small and durable, exactly what dad wants pat to have in a laptop
- CorySupport for life comes free with any macintosh you get, with a windows laptop it lasts about 3 hours (if even that long)
- Internet sharing over AirPort is UberEasy with the iBook, as easy as opening the cute lil' thing
- Over time, the iBook will cost less
- The iBook is easy to use and "clean" uncluttered and simple.

Any other ideas? any testimonials I can use?

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  02:19:32
You should find the application they want to run and then see which computer is a better deal. Believe it or not there are alot of programs on the PC you cant get on the mac and that will be a deal buster.

Allways find what software your going to need to use, then buy/configure the system around that software. that will dictate wether you get a mac or pc, what HD and memory you need, etc.
Leave some room for expansion.

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  02:46:26
1.) Your parents won't have to worry about your brother getting viruses and ruining the laptop if he gets a mac.

2.) In the PC world they like to drive the hype that "you need to buy a new PC every 2 years or else you can't do anything". Hah! If I told people ever two years they need to buy a new car or else they couldn't drive on the roads they would tell me to go do something I'd rather not do.

3.) On a mac, your parents won't have to deal with Microsoft problems or pay through the nose to get your brother half decent software like Office. (Office is on "ok" program it's better on the mac) The mac has lots of free apps like Nisus software.

4.) PC laptops if not bought right are a disaster and nightmare because unlike desktops there are no basic standarda and even if there are, don't expect people to follow them when making hardware, which means when something does go kapoot ur gonna pay and pay and pay to fix it.

But dealing with the headaches of Windows is a big thing. Just say no to Windows.

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  04:33:05
quote:
Believe it or not there are alot of programs on the PC you cant get on the mac and that will be a deal buster.
I doubt that Cory and Pat will face any such deal busters. Although it may be true that particular software titles from particular companies are only available on the PC, I am sure that every kind of software is available for the Mac.

Ask yourself what you want to do, and there will be a Mac software that helps you do it. Moreover, if want you want to do is in any of the creative realms such as graphics, video, or sound, then I would bet that the software titles available for the Mac are generally superior in features and ease-of-use to those on the PC.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  06:41:41
Just think of all the whining that might start when he gets an illegal operation or fatal exception about every hour . OSX is by far the most stable OS you could have. It takes a lot of fiddling to crash OSX.

Edited by - thequietman on 02 Jul 2003 06:42:27Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  10:10:11
quote:
the 800MHz 12" iBook is $99 and it's about $1178 if it has airport card and 256 MB of RAM...

wooooah ... so you are trying to tell me that an airport card and some ram comes to $1079 ... or did you mean $999 for a basic iBook

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  19:12:29
Hey, to those that bashed windows, XP is fairly stable, more so than the previous versions, though it cannot beat OSX.

Cory, if he gets the iBook, he'll gloat, and say things such as "nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah I got a laptop too" and "hey, mine's better than yours"

take my advice, and agree with him. It'll save you a lot of greif arguing, and you won't get in trouble for "lording over him"

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  20:32:15
noone bashed windows IIRC... Maybe me but that's one of the things that i do

the dealbuster?

aparently I wasn't supposed to do ANY helping... I was taking a good thing that dad was going to do for my brother and running away with it in a direction too expensive for the family... or something...

Anyway... now we just went toward unpacking an older PC for him to use...

I'm going to need something to be my own server... and that *MIGHT* be the 7300, but instead I want one of the older PCs to be my server... or an OSX box

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  21:12:44
quote:

(my 10 yr. old male brother)

Cory 99% of all brothers are male!

Anyway I'm going to bash windows. Whilst it is true that XP is fairly stable and in my last 6 months or so of PC and Mac use the Mac had one KP and the PC crashed 3-4 times whilst playing games or surfing the net. So windows is a lot more stable than it used to be.

However XP is really crappy at multitasking compared to my *lowly* 450 MHz G4 and since acquiring a PC I use it even less than I ever thought I would despite the number of games I have for it XP just doesn't do it for me. In addition XPs networking abilities seem a bit crappy compared to OS X, takes ages to work out what's going on with the network, start and stop file sharing etc... Anyway the PC was extremely cheap as had so many spare parts to make it with so i can't really complain.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  22:23:08
yeah... I may have been tired or excited last night

Windows Xp is ok ist' just that my mom's computer doesn't like talking to my TiBook... even just over HTTP (ethernet)

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.