All Forums
 Lounge
 Snes
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  11:50:06
I've bought myself a Snes. I bought it to play Turrican which I had already bought, but it seems that Turrican is for the NES not the SNES. Is there an adapter to enable me to play NES games on a SNES? & How interchanable are NES & SNES ie:- joypads, memory expansions etc.
I have had the console connected to the tv via an rf lead but would ideally have it running through my 1084s monitor. I tried connecting my PSOne's video lead. This did nothing one way, but when turned the other way did produce a picture, after a fashion, the picture was distorted, in an embossed style & shifted so that the edges of the pic were in the middle & the middle at the edge. Do I just need to buy a specific adapter?

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"

Edited by - shaktiman on 29 Jun 2003 14:11:47

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  15:48:18
Pardon me for asking, but is this your first Nintendo system? It kinda seems like you are used to the whole "Playstation" type of gameing.. lol

But to answer your questions: To my knowlage there are no "adapters" that allow you to play NES games in the SNES. Also, neither the NES or SNES had memory cards due to the fact that they are cartrage loading systems, they store all the game data on the cartrages. The controler's are completly different for each system. This is because the SNES needs 4 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons and the NES only has 2 face and no shoulder.

Nintendo has used the same style TV hook up since the beginning of the SNES and before that there was an RF switch that screwed into the cable TV port on your Television. The NES, and SNES can both take the RF adapter. ( So can the GameCube and N64 but you need a little box to plug it into that sticks into the back of the systems)

The SNES, N64, and GameCube all can take the Nintendo 3 color Tv cable that plugs into the Video in, and the 2 Stereo ports on new(ish) TVs.

So to finnaly answer your question, Yes, you need to buy an adapter but if you have a GameCube or N64 you can use that connector, other wise you will have to find one or buy the RF adapter.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  17:24:36
Yeah, Christophillis pretty much covered everything you need to know, but there are no adapters that let you play NES games on an SNES. There is an adapter that allows you to play GameBoy games on the SNES, but i believe that it would be physically difficult to make the adapter, as IIRC, NES games are heavier than SNES games, making it easy for the cartridge to fall over, really borking something up. Thats what i remember, anyway, but I'm not sure, as I haven't seen anything older than a Nintendo 64 since about '98.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  17:51:03
The nes also had vid & audio (mono) RCA out. I only remember that from when I used to make videos while playing it as a teen. You can probably pick yourself up an old nes at a garage/yard sale or thrift store real cheap.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  19:31:25
If you have a decent speed mac or PC you can probably find the game ROM on some site and play it using an emulator. Since you own the game, you won't be in any legal hot water for the most part.

Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  19:49:56
Hmm, I didn't think they made Turrican for the NES. Personally I'd just buy the SNES version rather than buy an older console just for one game.

It's probably fairly safe to let your son loose on a SNES aswell (well safeer than he would be on a playstation)

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  23:54:32
quote:

If you have a decent speed mac or PC you can probably find the game ROM on some site and play it using an emulator. Since you own the game, you won't be in any legal hot water for the most part.

very true, it's real easy to find them using hotline. I've got them running on a couple Macs myself.

Stryders Community

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  01:52:34
Yeah I forgot to mention this.

It's one of the ways you'll appreciate your PowerMac

go to www.emulation.net

look for snes9x (or any other console emulator you fancy) and download. I think they may have discontinued development of Snes9x for OS 9 but the last version I used was pretty good.

Once you've done that you can just google for ROM sites, in this case the samller sites are often better but have a smaller choice.

p.s. you'll probably need to tweak the graphics settings for OS 9. The lowest is equivelant to the SNES the other version are enhanced.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  02:19:18
That pretty much answered my questions, & now we know why I've never owned Nintendo before &s soon as I've played Turrican(I aim to play as many versions of Turrican as possible) then the Nintendo will be sold/binned.

You all answered the questions well & I should say much clearer then the nintendo sites I've visited.

quote:
Pardon me for asking, but is this your first Nintendo system? It kinda seems like you are
used to the whole "Playstation" type of gameing.. lol

Yes & it wont be kept long.

quote:
Hmm, I didn't think they made Turrican for the NES. Personally I'd just buy the SNES version rather
than buy an older console just for one game.

It's probably fairly safe to let your son loose on a SNES aswell (well safeer than he would be on a
playstation)

Turrican is on the following platforms;

Amiga(3 versions)
Atari ST(2 versions)
NES(? versions)
SNES(I believe)
Sega (probably all thier machines & thier handheld)
PC(I'm sure it did make it to pc)
Amstrad cpc 464!
Commodore 64

It's probably fairly safe to let your son loose on a SNES aswell (well safeer than he would be on a
playstation) [/quote]

Well my son likes the PSOne & we know how to work it, Nintendo is for "an experience" only.

quote:
The nes also had vid & audio (mono) RCA out. I only remember that from when I used to make
videos while playing it as a teen.[/quote]

That is good to know.

quote:
If you have a decent speed mac or PC you can probably find the game ROM on some site and play
it using an emulator. Since you own the game, you won't be in any legal hot water for the most part. [/quote]

Well I've only ever used one emulator which did anything very usefull, & I am going for that authentic feel & I may have to try out all emulations as well at some point............... perhaps.

shaktiman

os 8.1
PPC7600/132, 4.23Gig & 500 Meg drives, 8X cd
os 8.6
Performa400(deadintheattick)
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  15:39:11
They also made Turrican for the Spectrum, Turrican 2 at least.

The SNES and other console emulators are 10x better than any of the computer emulators, atari, amiga, etc. They are extremely simple to use FILE>OPEN>ROM FILE and then suddenly you are in console land.

If you want to make it more authentic, get a cheap USB card (I think youalready have one) and a cheap USB gamepad (you may also need USB overdrive a shareware app to configure it properly) and you machine has s-video out doesn't it? so you can hook it up to a TV.

Other good reasons for emulation, cheaper, fewer boxes (your family will appreciate that one) all your games in one place. I

--------

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  16:49:44
Exactly. Running NES and SNES games under an emulator on your PM7600 is sure to raise SAF, and is therefore a very good idea.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  18:16:31
back in the day i had EVERY SINGLE ATARI 2600 GAME on my computer... it was around 500 ROM images, at 1 or 2 kb each... but they got erased when i upgraded to WinXP and reformatted in NTFS...

Owner of the Token Worthless Post
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  18:32:56
I have around 30 nes roms, about twice that for Snes, and the complete Atari 2600 ones that you're talking about. It's fun to play the old games I grew up with. I think I still have the old Atari with most of the real games at my Moms house too.

Stryders Community

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  22:20:31
I'm happy to say that my own NES is new in it's box! (it's been taken out... but put back every time )

other than that... I know that for SNES there's a gameboy adaptor iThink...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  12:47:05
Well it'll be a consideration at some point to emulate that is, but my pci svga monitor card didn't work & erm It just is all too much hassle & well my enthusiasm isn't there.

See we just need a good computer.

I say down with carbon lib, down with windows, down with sodding plug ins & down with pop up windows.

I feel fairly negative about this.

shaktiman

os 8.1
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  15:53:21
quote:

other than that... I know that for SNES there's a gameboy adaptor iThink...

I don't remember any adaptors for nintendo systems but the Sega machine all had them so a megadrive could play Mastersystem or Gamegear games with both adaptors together.

Shak what kind of graphics card did you get? make model etc...

--------

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  10:30:09
quote:
I don't remember any adaptors for nintendo systems but the Sega machine all had them so a megadrive could play Mastersystem or Gamegear games with both adaptors together.

there was a Gameboy adaptor for the SNES ... but AFAIK not a NES adaptor for the SNES .... the coolest thing about the MasterSystem was that switching it on without a game in loaded a preinstalled game ... usually sonic or another

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.