All Forums
 68k Hacks
 Good logic boards for wearable mac?
Author Topic  
Metrophage

Tonga
54 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  17:37:47
I am psyched to put together the most portable, versatile mac for my courier bag. My first mac ever was a Performa6200cd which I still enjoy using when I am at my parent's house. Very expandable design, that. The various peripherals not exactly much sought after items. Then as I read a bit further I noticed that that PCI Performa (6360?) was even quite a bit more expandable. Ov course, the G4 Cube board is fairly fast and well-integrated, but pricier and would likely use much more electricity.
Then it occured to me- I don't know anything about the 68k Performas! I have never had a 68k mac, apart from the 512 here which I can't even find floppies for. Which mac logic boards do YOU think are the most compact, elegant solutions for a wearable console?

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  15:23:30
the LC 475 / Quadra 605 would probably be your best bet ... they logic boards are small ... and they have small ish PSUs ...

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  19:40:48
Any 68k laptop would be extremely small (well any laptop would be, but 68ks would take less power, I'm assuming). The boards inside them were usually multi pieced and connected together, making it easier to 'hack' one of these into several units for wear-ability.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

geekwurkz

USA
156 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  21:28:39
The Centris/Quadra 610 will easily fit in a bookbag when taken apart. It's PSU is rated for only 86w so it won't eat up alot of power. Of course, the PB 140's 14w maximum draw is much better.

-------------------------
*Nooooo! You Found My Hidden, Secret ChatRoom*
irc.freenode.net:6667 #elgatoconquesoGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  23:06:08
depending on what you want, I'd say that a 605/lc/475 style would be good too, I haev a messenger bag (somewhere I think) and you could almos easily stuff a whole 605 into there... (as I recall at least)

(for any who care this is my 2800th post)

are you looking into a mac that hangs from your shoulder in that bag? or a mac that's in your clothes? I think that the same motherboard would be great for a "clothes" mac also...

finding a place for disk drives and I/O and the PSU on a clothes mac would be the only forseeable problem IMHO.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  06:46:19
If you have the cash to spare, you can't go wrong with a board out of a 3400 or Wallstreet G3.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  22:27:37
hehe... did the WallStreet have "SVGA" or the standard (for PC and newer macs) VGA connector for video?

Sony makes these goggles that are like a 56" 800 by 600 screen on your head

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
I have alot of posts... if you don't like it than I don't know what to say.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Jul 2003 :  19:45:54
Yeah, Cory, from the 3400 onwards they all had SVGA ports.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Metrophage

Tonga
54 Posts
Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  04:13:20
Shortly after I had posted, I was thinking about laptops. At first I discounted the notion because ov the lack ov video output and connections for keys, mice, etc. Some small docs seem to add that functionality quite easily, so I am guessing that much ov the chip support is already there. I am not quite ready to design a video signal board!
Meanwhile I will try to check out the 475/605 boards. No, I have no money. Haven't even been able to buy or build a battery for my duo yet! Quite flat broke, and living in one ov the worst markets to find work in. Will get it together this year though, probably this summer.
Thanks much for the food for thought!

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.