Lounge
 Boycotting the RIAA
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Jun 2003 :  23:38:34
it seems that the RIAA is sueing many people and people...

In an inverview with a fellow MLAer, I was told that "they suck"
"Although I don't buy music, or really listen to music, I think that RIAA is very corrupt"

starting yesterday, the RIAA is making a list of individuals, "file traders" to sue for using P2P software for trading music.

the RIAA's power is growing too quickly too much

CaptainZ said "the only way to stop this shit they do is by hurting them to only way that matters to them"

"... in the wallet"

for all file traders out there (panther shouldn't be affected, but might)... trade with caution as the internet is becoming more laden with sharks who have too much power.

Currently as we speak, BitTorrent, Hotline and FTP aren't main targets. The RIAA is targeting GNUtella, Morpheus and KazAa (PC users who have morpheus and kazaa look out)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 26 Jun 2003 :  23:47:20
I am a member of several underground traders and have access to many files that are not on public networks.

I also sell frozen yogurt which I call frogurt!

If I enjoy a film I see online, I usually always buy it.

But the general idea is here that many people are flat out stealing music, and many don't really care about how much it is. Humans are the same, they are greedy ignorant bastards who don't listen, don't read and who want everything for nothing and couldn't care if the world blew up in ten seconds as long as they get thier latest MP3 and have a nice evening with thier girlfriend. (You get the picture)

It's not that I'm trying to drag most of us down, but we have to realize who conumes most of the pirating. It's people who don't care, who want something for nothing, people who have no respect for authority (who does this day and age?) and who don't care about anything but themselves. Many of the original piraters have good intentions like your friend who lets you borow his CD for a week cause you don't have money to buy it. But it's the people who take it, share it and then mess with it that ruin the experience for the rest of us.

Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  06:01:11
quote:

I am a member of several underground traders and have access to many files that are not on public networks.

I also sell frozen yogurt which I call frogurt!

If I enjoy a film I see online, I usually always buy it.

But the general idea is here that many people are flat out stealing music, and many don't really care about how much it is. Humans are the same, they are greedy ignorant bastards who don't listen, don't read and who want everything for nothing and couldn't care if the world blew up in ten seconds as long as they get thier latest MP3 and have a nice evening with thier girlfriend. (You get the picture)

It's not that I'm trying to drag most of us down, but we have to realize who conumes most of the pirating. It's people who don't care, who want something for nothing, people who have no respect for authority (who does this day and age?) and who don't care about anything but themselves. Many of the original piraters have good intentions like your friend who lets you borow his CD for a week cause you don't have money to buy it. But it's the people who take it, share it and then mess with it that ruin the experience for the rest of us.

If you like paying $18 for a music cd go ahead, I dont think they are worth the money. I buy movie dvd's on ocasion, but havnt purchased a music cd in quite a few years.

I could care less if p2p gets shut down. I trade with friends via ftp and get most of my music from the binarie newsgroups (full cd images not the crappy mp3's, yes having broadband is nice.) Most of the stuff I download are cd images of stuff I paid good money for on tape and has gotten crappy over the ages.

If your publically offering/trading items over the internet you dont own your going to get busted sooner or later. If your just d/l stuff from binarie newsgroups nobody will ever bother you.

I dont think pirating is such a big deal, most of the big time traders would never buy the original in the store for a number of reasons, so nobody is losing money from them. The RIAA knows if you get the mp3 of the newest cd and find out it sucks you wont go buy it and they lose money. If the cd was good people would probably end up buying it when cash was available.

If I download a game I like to play I do end up buying the original.
Most of the games I download get burned to a cd and played once, if I dont like it it gets tossed onto a spindle and collects dust most likely never to be played again.

Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  09:50:44
For me, I like to see movies and play games in German, its good practice when you are not living in a German speaking country...
I download things that i want in foreign languages, but if i really want them I'll also buy them. As far as CDs go, I like to listen to imported music usually, and the CDs are about $60 and i think thats a ripoff, they deserve to be pirated at that price... i mean it cant cost THAT much to import a CD!!! Anyway.... I think they are overstepping their bounds and I am thinking about joining the ACLU and joining their privacy infringement argument.

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  09:56:56
Although a great many of your points are true and accurate, your missing the basis of my reply.

The majority of users couldn't care less. Even if they could buy CD's at five cents each, they would never buy a single one. It's just the way people are. And sadly, it's this prevalent attitude of greed that filters into every aspect of society. I'm not trying to preach or make it political, but imagine no limits to people's greed. When that day comes and there are no more controls is the day we are history because we will mess up this place really good.

Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  11:25:31
quote:

The majority of users couldn't care less. Even if they could buy CD's at five cents each, they would never buy a single one. It's just the way people are.

Jeeez!

If CD's were onlu 5 cents a pop I wouldnt download music anymore. The crappy quality of most mp3's and such that you find on gnutilla, morpheus and kazaa is enough to make me buy CD's right now. If CD's were only 5 cents I would gladly stop dl'ing music via p2p. Though I think that the Apple Store has the right idea. The way they sell the music is excellent. And it is quality too.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  12:36:26
That's just you.

Many people really couldn't be bothered to get off thier "insert behind size" ass and buy it. They brag and boast about how much stuff they stole. Not gonna buy nothing. :o

Go to Top of Page

geekwurkz

USA
156 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  13:18:59
quote:

That's just you.

No, that's just me, too.

quote:

Many people really couldn't be bothered to get off thier "insert behind size" ass and buy it. They brag and boast about how much stuff they stole. Not gonna buy nothing. :o

You'd be suprised how many of those people aren't being prosecuted by the RIAA too...

The RIAA is targeting college students and other people who don't have the money to pay for the overpriced albums. Actually, one of the students involved in the recent lawsuit didn't even download the music, he just wrote a program to index thefiles.

I'll admit, I use Shareaza... However, I only share files that I own. I download other music to listen to it and see if I like it but I don't keep it unless I plan on getting the album. Not surprisingly, most of the bands out there are s***.

The other thing I'm planning to do is download the complete album (full quality) of a new band that I like and send the $18 directly to the band and bypass the record company. Let's see how the RIAA likes that?

nick

-------------------------
*Nooooo! You Found My Hidden, Secret ChatRoom*
irc.freenode.net:6667 #elgatoconquesoGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  18:56:37
Lol, nice idea, geekwurkz. Personally, I agree with what Cory has been told about the RIAA, and that the best way to stop them is to hit them where it hurts....the wallet. I also haven't purchased a CD for a long time, as most music isn't worth it these days. Sure, I'm definately going to work out how to order Lorraine Lawson's CD direct from Canada, seeing as though they don't sell it here in AU, and I would also like to fork out quite a bit of money for a few Emilie Autumn and Teri Hitt CDs, but other than that, a lot of new stuff really isnt worth it these days. What's the point of spending $30 on an overpriced CD with 20 tracks of crappy, non understandable, computerised CRAP about how some dumb ugly female's boyfriend broke up with her when i can wait until Friday, head up to the on campus Bar, and listen to some GOOD local bands, LIVE!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1

Edit - Whoops, accidently slipped in a naughty word....bad mod!

Edited by - maclover5 on 27 Jun 2003 18:57:50Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  19:50:00
That's why I use WinMX. And yes, if the music is good enough, I do buy it. IMHO, it just seems that a lot of music these days sucks, but that's probably just because I'm getting inflexible in my old age. The only people makeing music that I will buy anymore are:

Depeche Mode
New Order (Definitely not as good as they used to be)
Maybe Beck

I'm so sick of "modern" music now that I've started listening to classical. If you're going to go retro, you might as well go all the way.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  22:33:49
heh... I've actually downloaded music and decided that I liked it enough to buy the CD..

take Celine Dion's album "A New Day has Come"
I download the title track, I didn't even download it... I heard it on the radio and it was good enough that I HAD to have the CD... I'm really happy that the rest of the songs were just as good, and some better than the title track.

Other than that... I believe that the RIAA is hitting traders where it hurts, in the wallet, not the other way arround

I'll support artists and buy songs that I really like and when I have enough money... but that's a rare occasion that both happen at the same time

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

jjjarmon
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  01:27:52
I think that a whole slew of new people should join the file sharing
services and make their own huge list of downloadable home made MP3's with fart sounds and other nonsensical babbling or noise just to thwart the RIAA.

Original Macintosh ownerGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  06:36:27
[quote]
That's why I use WinMX. And yes, if the music is good enough, I do buy it. IMHO, it just seems that a lot of music these days sucks, but that's probably just because I'm getting inflexible in my old age. The only people makeing music that I will buy anymore are:

Depeche Mode
New Order (Definitely not as good as they used to be)
Maybe Beck

I'm so sick of "modern" music now that I've started listening to classical. If you're going to go retro, you might as well go all the way./quote]

Same here. The Top 40 used to be nice back in 2001, but it's sorta crappy now. I love Alternative, and the older stuff.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  11:27:44
Here in canaa we pay a levy on every blank cd we buy, i call that my "payment" untill they lift that i'm not buying anymore cds.

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  12:10:23
http://dontbuycds.org/

Owner of the Token Worthless Post
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  17:46:32
quote:

Here in canaa we pay a levy on every blank cd we buy, i call that my "payment" untill they lift that i'm not buying anymore cds.

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macs Liberated: 3

I read about that, that's really dodgy....

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.