All Forums
 Lounge
 840AV Finally Back Up
Author Topic  
The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 26 Jun 2003 :  19:21:27
Well I finally got it fixed and it's back online. Sort of.

I need to get my router in shape. The router has this annoying trned that it will reset or when it does want to re-obtain an IP address, clients have to reset thier TCP/IP interfaces or else they get zero connections. It is a bug that really annoys me, especially since the product is touted as a product that will allow a business to run a server, so it should be a little more selective in this regard.

So I will be doing some router tests and if I can see what is going on then I can get it fixed. If not I march to Netgear's door and smack them in the face with thier router and politely ask for a refund.

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  02:22:15
Good luck,

I too have found this sort of problem, I tried to share internet access, & sometimes have my Macs networked, but in all essence the os seems insistant that you may only do this if you have them both running at the same time, os9 is not as fussy!

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
PPC7600/132, 4.23Gig & 500 Meg drives, 8X cd
os 8.6
Performa400(deadintheattick)
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  05:48:08
My router here is a funky old bay networks instant internet 100 (looks heavy duty anyway) and it works just fine with my multiple pc's and mac wether or not the cable modem is connected to the router or not. My old linksys router would stop running once a day and need me to reset it to start working again ( should ebay that POS), but even that didnt cause my macs any problems.

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  10:12:04
One thing I am glad for is that the new firmware lets me save the router settings to file, so If I have to reset and stuff, I can just reload from file instead of having to do it manually, plus the new firmware supports address reservation by mac address, so at least my mac's ip won't change and won't affect the DMZ zone.

:)

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  23:17:26
hehehe... if our router would work at all... it's an SMC 4 port something or other...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.